Excited for first aerobatic lesson!...but don't like rollercoasters?

Melissa2983298

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Melissa
I've always wanted to be an aerobatic pilot and I'm having my first lesson soon! However this is my first time doing any form of aerobatics (lesson will be flown in a Pitts) and I hate rollercoasters...am I not going to enjoy this as much as I hoped?

Don't worry, it is normal to be a bit nervous, almost all of my students are when they first show up. I never liked roller coasters either, until well after I had been an aerobatic pilot. Aerobatics are much different than any roller coaster you will find. First off, you are in control, which makes a big difference for most people. Also, it is a blast! In my opinion, the most fun you can have in an airplane!

I did my aerobatic ride in a pitts.
I was nervous the whole time but after every maneuver, I was ready to do it again.

I would do it again in a heartbeat without any hesitation.
Just go with it and know that plane was designed to do that stuff and way more.

My advice is if this is a one time thing, pay for the video. When you show it to people they are going to think you are out of your mind.

Have Fun!!!!!!

I was lucky enough to score a ride with an airshow pilot in his Super Decathlon while he was passing through for AirVenture a few years back. I'm generally not one for "watch this" style flying, but really had a great time.

The advice everyone gave me was to have a banana for breakfast. After hearing that recommendation a handful of times (and thinking it was somehow related to easing your stomach, etc) someone finally explained: "It tastes the same coming back up as it did going down." Luckily, I didn't test that.

Have a great time!

Also, it is a blast! In my opinion, the most fun you can have in an airplane!

Concur. My only aerobatic flying was an 8 lesson intro to aero course in a Citabria. I loved it!

In an ideal world, my partners would want to sell the travelling machine and get a Decathlon. Or better yet, a Pitts.

Don't worry about being nervous, I still get nerves before heading out for a practice sortie, usually they are gone by the time I reach the practice area or after I roll inverted for the FOD and inverted systems check.

Acro IS unnatural and the forces effect people differently, the most important thing for you as a passenger and aspiring acro pilot is to commit to letting your instructor know as soon as you start to feel queasy, a good instructor will end the flight there since most folks don't recover right away. Sometimes having you fly (straight and level or easy turns, etc.) will help since it occupies more of your attention.

This is important to prevent you from possibly getting sick, which might keep you from trying again. Don't be afraid to knock it off early, and try another flight after a day or two. You really do build up a tolerance, and it can build quickly.

There is nothing wrong with admitting your gyro has spun and you don't feel like continuing, this is in fact a mark of good aeronautical decision making.

Don't go on an empty stomach, best to eat something light before the flight. I would suggest avoiding carbonated beverages but be well hydrated.

Ventilation helps alot, so make sure you know where the vents are and how to open them up.

Lastly, don't 'worry' about any of the above since that can be enough to become a self-fulfilling prophecy - just cover it in the brief that if you tell the instructor you are done, that is it, end of flight.

Take a camera, GoPro's are awesome, and really just plan to enjoy yourself. If you can get a list of maneuvers the instructor will fly let us know and maybe we can make suggestions - best is to have a plan since that helps you know what to expect. Hopefully the instructor will also help you with where to look since that can impact how your body interprets what is going on.

Have a great time! Acro flight is addictive, so be advised it can get stupid expensive.

82G-7-2-14-3_zpsc1c9623d.png

'Gimp

Back