Excessive bounced landings... what was wrong?

10 hours in a cub or a champ and you should not have that problem. If you can fly a taildragger correctly, land it well, a trike gear will be a breeze. Flying a light aircraft by yourself is always different from flying full of people, baggage, etc. your probably too fast on final trying to force it on when it till wants to fly. I write this assuming your hip on CG problems. Am I assuming too much?

I do want to get some tailwheel experience, that's a great idea. I'm not sure what you mean by your CG question, but I'm absolutely meticulous in all my flight planning, including W+B and CG range (see earlier messages in the thread). Especially being relatively new to the Warrior, I feel it's best to not take shortcuts.

In this case I think I just got higher airspeeds and a different sight picture in my head due to having just had some time in a Mooney as noted earlier. Doing my due diligence here to unravel it.

Due dilligence would mean more dual and I stress a CFI with over, say , 3000 hours, not some greenhorn. Shortcuts in flying will get you dead sooner rather than later. Hauling passengers before you are really well acquainted with the aircraft your flying is asking for big trouble. I have flown a mooney alot, both a super 21 and a 201. They are really stable easy flyers IF you know the speeds on downwind and base and final. most people land them too fast and wander on down the runway needlessly. Same with the one your having trouble with. they really are not that much different. I agree with the former poster who said you need someone GOOD to take you to altitude and do stalls, power on, power off,recovery from unusual attitudes, etc. if you can do this and are comfortable doing it it should solve your problems IMHO. Currently, with your low time, flying around NYC with passengers no less, your a menace.

Last edited:
Due dilligence would mean more dual and I stress a CFI with over, say , 3000 hours, not some greenhorn. Shortcuts in flying will get you dead sooner rather than later. Hauling passengers before you are really well acquainted with the aircraft your flying is asking for big trouble. I have flown a mooney alot, both a super 21 and a 201. They are really stable easy flyers IF you know the speeds on downwind and base and final. most people land them too fast and wander on down the runway needlessly. Same with the one your having trouble with. they really are not that much different. I agree with the former poster who said you need someone GOOD to take you to altitude and do stalls, power on, power off,recovery from unusual attitudes, etc. if you can do this and are comfortable doing it it will solve your problems IMHO.

Thanks. I did put in about 20 hours dual in the Warrior before taking pax. Most of that was with an ATP rated instructor who regularly flies charter for his real job. The other guy wasn't as experienced but he was much more hard-nosed. Just goes to show ya...

The mooney, as I remember it 15 years ago was.......downwind, full flaps employed, speed 70 . Base 70' final 65 over the fence. (2200 ft asphalt)I was always checked out by the same fellow, a pal with 15000 hours, aero commander demo pilot, 5000 hours in a mooney. ATP CFI, he also flew an aerostar quite a bit..He always said I was too fast and this was true. When I did it his way, the above, it was fine. He always stressed being able to make the field from anywhere in the pattern. This is not followed today with airliner approaches being made in light aircraft which not only ties up the pattern but is dangerous if the airplane gets a hair in its throat. I usually flew alone or with just my wife,( 110 lbs.) little luggage. Back seat of a mooney is like back seat of 911 porsche but a real great airplane . I never flew commercially and only logged 4000 hours total ( most of it in taildraggers)but sure enjoyed it. Never flew instruments other than getting out of a jam of my own doing. Hope you do well and enjoy yourself! Best, JC ( I think the archer speeds would be about the same)

Last edited:
The mooney, as I remember it 15 years ago was.......downwind, full flaps employed, speed 70 . Base 70' final 65 over the fence. (2200 ft asphalt)I was always checked out by the same fellow, a pal with 15000 hours, aero commander demo pilot, 5000 hours in a mooney. ATP CFI, he also flew an aerostar quite a bit..He always said I was too fast and this was true. When I did it his way, the above, it was fine. He always stressed being able to make the field from anywhere in the pattern. This is not followed today with airliner approaches being made in light aircraft which not only ties up the pattern but is dangerous if the airplane gets a hair in its throat. I usually flew alone or with just my wife,( 110 lbs.) little luggage. Back seat of a mooney is like back seat of 911 porsche but a real great airplane . I never flew commercially and only logged 4000 hours total ( most of it in taildraggers)but sure enjoyed it. Never flew instruments other than getting out of a jam of my own doing. Hope you do well and enjoy yourself! Best, JC ( I think the archer speeds would be about the same)

Thanks JC, looking forward to more time in different types and learning about them all.

Back