Exceptional Scanner for Scanning Documents to PDF

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I have to tell you all- I have bought several Fujitsu scanners, sheetfed jobbies, the S510 and its successor, the S1500, and for straight-up document scanning to PDF, they are absolutely unmatched.

You drop a stack of papers in the hopper, press the "Scan" button on the scanner, and it slurps through the pages without pause, scans both sides simultaneously, does color-detection, auto-deskew and detects upside-down-ness, all on the fly. When the last page is through, a ready-to-go PDF pops up on your screen. Ba da boom, ba da bing.

Downside- no Twain or Isis interface, but when you buy it, it comes with robust software of its own, including a fully-licensed copy of Acrobat Standard and Abbyy Finereader OCR. For around $400.00 or so, an amazing piece of "does what it says it'll do" technology.

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/scansnap-s1500.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838115052

I've specified Fujitsu scanners for any project requiring OCR/PDF of large numbers of files since 1993. Their paper handling is terrific, the company stands behind their products, and they've only improved with time.

I agree; the SCSI based Fujitsu I had, which scanned both sides at once, was fast, reliable, and the best thing since sliced bread. That was 5 years ago--I can only imagine how they are now. Thanks for the PIREP. (Paper Imaging REPort)

I agree.

I have a scansnap 5110 that I've run about 35,000 pages through. One pass does double side.

Very, very pleased.

Hey guys,

I bought an S510M a while ago and got around to firing it up last night. Pretty slick.

Is there any trick to getting it to correctly feed a stack of papers? I tried a few test scans from 2 to 7 pages long, and most of the time it would pull the whole stack through! I'd only get a scan of the first page. They were just regular 8.5x11 papers, but they had been stapled together, so I was wondering if they were maybe getting stuck at the staple hole or something.

Hey guys,

I bought an S510M a while ago and got around to firing it up last night. Pretty slick.

Is there any trick to getting it to correctly feed a stack of papers? I tried a few test scans from 2 to 7 pages long, and most of the time it would pull the whole stack through! I'd only get a scan of the first page. They were just regular 8.5x11 papers, but they had been stapled together, so I was wondering if they were maybe getting stuck at the staple hole or something.

And we assume you removed the staple:wink2::goofy:

Staple holes are good for tying a stack together- the dimples nest and hold the pages together. I fan the pages out if they were stapled.

Fan the pages out. For the ones that were stapled, try feeding them bottom-first.

Fan the pages out. For the ones that were stapled, try feeding them bottom-first.

Whenever I want to run a stack of pages through a sheet feeder that have been stapled or even just clipped together, I pinch the end of the stack opposite the removed fastener and bend the stack back and fourth (no creases just curves) 90+ degrees a couple times. This usually breaks any "bonds" that have formed where the pages were originally attached to each other.

I fan a stack before feeding, but have to say that, in three years of using Fujitsu scanners, including the S510 and its predecessor, I cannot recall any separation problems.

At work I just use the Xerox Document center and it converts to PDF just as easily as making a copy and emails it wherever I want. The thing is about as big as a VW and I haven't found much it won't do. Naturally this is a far more expensive solution, but someone who just does it infrequently might be better off just going to Kinkos.

I fan a stack before feeding, but have to say that, in three years of using Fujitsu scanners, including the S510 and its predecessor, I cannot recall any separation problems.

Mine is starting to show some problems after 50,000 sheets fed.

Clean the rollers w/Everclear.

Back