Excellent Performance in 172

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Went flying with Matt Michael today, we were getting 800 fpm out of a 172 with 2000 RPMs, at 55 knots and about a 45 degree bank. It was truly wonderful. too bad FBO doesnt charge by tach time, we saved em a bunch of gas.

Matts checkride for PP-ASEL is scheduled for Sept. 21st!

tonycondon said:
Went flying with Matt Michael today, we were getting 800 fpm out of a 172 with 2000 RPMs, at 55 knots and about a 45 degree bank. It was truly wonderful. too bad FBO doesnt charge by tach time, we saved em a bunch of gas.

Matts checkride for PP-ASEL is scheduled for Sept. 21st!

What's the big deal Tony? Isn't an airplane supposed to go up when you have the motor running?

MM

hey, two weeks away, huh? Great!! Although I'm really glad I did my check ride with NO advance warning! I'm way too much of a worry wart! :eek:

I guess if you fill it full of helium, it will perform just fine!

hahaha
I was wondering why Matt was talking funny!

wby0nder said:
What's the big deal Tony? Isn't an airplane supposed to go up when you have the motor running?

MM
Matt,

Performance in a 172 is supposed to be slightly less than that VW you lived in ;)

Good luck on the checkride...I'm sure it won't be a problem for you!

Fly safe!

David

Last edited:
MauleSkinner said:
Matt,

Performance in a 172 is supposed to be slightly less than that VW you lived in ;)

Good luck on the checkride...I'm sure it won't be a problem for you!

Fly safe!

David

David WHO? You knew I lived in a VW? Cool! Did we meet? Do I know you? Help me out here!

Matt

etsisk said:
hey, two weeks away, huh? Great!! Although I'm really glad I did my check ride with NO advance warning! I'm way too much of a worry wart! :eek:

I tried to get it this weekend but the examiner is booked. Now I have plenty of time to procrastinate, over-prepare and fret..

Do you know what it's called when you plan ahead for serious procrastination? Pro-active Retro-crastination. Powerfull stuff.

MM

AdamZ said:
Tony did you mean 45 degrees of pitch?

Nope. Bank. Small circles to stay in the area of lift.

MM

Darrell111 said:
I like your style!

Well thanks but I can't take credit for "style". This is the normal way of exploiting thermal lift by all glider pilots.

MM

wby0nder said:
David WHO? You knew I lived in a VW? Cool! Did we meet? Do I know you? Help me out here!

Matt
I knew you back during the "transition" from the Bug to the Bus...I was going to college in Ames back in '85-'87, and was in the glider club then. Towed you a few times, too.

I think I talked to you again a couple of years ago when I was looking to get my ground-launch endorsement.

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
I knew you back during the "transition" from the Bug to the Bus...I was going to college in Ames back in '85-'87, and was in the glider club then. Towed you a few times, too.

I think I talked to you again a couple of years ago when I was looking to get my ground-launch endorsement.

Fly safe!

David

Yea, I thought the Bus was going to be the Ritz after living in the Beetle but it was just too darn big for one person. You had to actually get out of bed to cook, clean, or even tune the radio. A real let down. The 67 squareback was perfect. Compact, sporty, sleeps 2 plus a dog and you can pretty much get to everything from the bed. I bought a lot of flying with the money I'd have spent on rent! Wacky days... or was it daze?

Back