Excellent Lesson

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
My PP-ASEL student is nearing checkride (scheduled tomorrow). couple evenings ago during a marathon ground session we had about an hour discussion about personal minimums and the lowest weather that he felt comfortable flying in. he came to the conclusion that he would be comfortable with 1500 AGL ceilings as long as he had an out. I wasnt able to push him into accepting 1000 ceilings but with neatly spaced airports along the route :)

snowed two inches last night. back end of the system worked through this morning and ceiling were at, you guessed it, 1500 AGL by mid day. We took off about 1 PM and went out for some fun. he got ahold of Cedar Rapids approach for flight following and soon realized that the 3000 feet we were hoping for to do slow flight was not going to happen. we got set up under the clouds at 1000 agl and just started flying around. had him navigate me to a couple nearby towns. noted the visibility differences as you started to near clouds. I put him under the foggles for a while and did some turns to headings, followed by some partial panel timed turns. he performed nicely. i started to detect a little engine roughness and he quickly picked up on it too. carb ice! interesting thing is at our OAT we were at the clear left side of the graph. BUT relative humidity was pretty high and we were at low cruise power. it cleared quickly and we were back to smooth running. a little later we had some again and it was caught quicker and once again cured. the second time actually started after giving full power for a climb. full throttle results in colder carb temps, remember! back up to the north by the home field the ceilings were clear. we were playing just under the edge of the system as it moved out. with permission from approach, we climbed in the clear to an altitude allowing us to operate above the cloud deck. were able to get slow flight, and steep turns (altitude held within 40 feet!) in. then back north, using a little VOR reference while over the undercast. back into green castle for some spot on soft field and short field takeoffs and landings. he is sooooooooo ready and it feels sooooo good :D he had a good lesson and we got a lot of subjects covered. when asked after landing, he admitted that maybe 1500 was a tad low, and he would like to have a little more room particularly if flying cross country.

Well..at least he discovered his 1500 AGL isn't a good number. You are low enough to have a tower smack you and conditions tend to fall apart on those kind of days without notice.

Well..at least he discovered his 1500 AGL isn't a good number. You are low enough to have a tower smack you and conditions tend to fall apart on those kind of days without notice.

yep. it truly surprised him how many towers are out there, and i suspect that had something to do with his reason to re-evaluate his number. we were certainly keeping a vigilant lookout!

the nice thing about this weather was we were just under the edge of the cloud deck. 5 miles north was clear skies. that was definitely a nice out to have.

yep. it truly surprised him how many towers are out there, and i suspect that had something to do with his reason to re-evaluate his number. we were certainly keeping a vigilant lookout!

The one that really surprises me is this one:

nolights.jpg

1,185 AGL with no lights. It's been a NOTAM since I moved here. I wonder how many big ass unlit towers there are....

Towers, indeed. We have several around here that poke up just shy of 1800 feet AGL. I passed one yesterday between PDK and D73 (Monroe) to the east. We were at 3500, a grand above and the top still looked like it was eye level with us. The tower sits just northwest of Monroe at 1779' AGL. It has operating lights but they don't stick out so well on a bright, hazy day.

Cruise at 1500 AGL? I don't think so. Besides, there's that big granite rock on the east side of Atlanta! :hairraise:

Huh? Why do you? Unless, you're doing ag flying.

While working with the cropdusters this summer, I got tired of driving from airport to airport for the quick jobs, so I brought the RV over and began making short hops instead of driving. While doing so, I started flying at cropduster 'cross country' level (~1000-1500'). About a week after the season was over, I had to file IFR to get the plane back home. I filed for 6000' and climbing up that high seemed almost scary! I couldn't believe how high 6000' felt after spending a couple of weeks down around 1000-1500'. Now I know why the ag pilots' eyes got big when telling them about flying at 16500' on the way to Las Vegas! ha!

While working with the cropdusters this summer, I got tired of driving from airport to airport for the quick jobs, so I brought the RV over and began making short hops instead of driving. While doing so, I started flying at cropduster 'cross country' level (~1000-1500'). About a week after the season was over, I had to file IFR to get the plane back home. I filed for 6000' and climbing up that high seemed almost scary! I couldn't believe how high 6000' felt after spending a couple of weeks down around 1000-1500'. Now I know why the ag pilots' eyes got big when telling them about flying at 16500' on the way to Las Vegas! ha!
:rofl: Ag pilots are afraid of heights?

With 90hp and at 80kts, it's not such a big deal. At higher altitudes I feel like a bicyclist on the highway with all you 14gph guys blazing by. Given a choice, I'd prefer FL250 at 200kts, but the 140 doesn't have good enough door seals so my knees get too cold.

M

Cruising at 1500 AGL is one thing; cruising underneath a 1500-foot ceiling is quite another.

Agreed...unfortunatley gets abused alot in mvfr conditions too.

Last edited:
Every time I have thought I could skedaddle significant xc under a relatively-low deck (which, to me, means under 2,000 agl), I have regretted it and ended up filing a pop-up IFR. I no longer try to convince myself that under beats over, without a compelling reason.

And I have not met that reason yet.

This all, of course, relating to 170 knot flying.

Every time I have thought I could skedaddle significant xc under a relatively-low deck (which, to me, means under 2,000 agl), I have regretted it and ended up filing a pop-up IFR. I no longer try to convince myself that under beats over, without a compelling reason.

And I have not met that reason yet.

This all, of course, relating to 170 knot flying.

only one i can think of is ice. and you're right, speed is definitely a bad thing when forced down low. i'd much rather be in a J3 or 150 or something than a Bo, in that situation.

oh Jesse - there is another pretty tall tower straight west of Lincoln, about 20 miles. Thats the one we circle when doing air sampling in the 421. i think its lit though, last I remember at least.

2000 ft AGL 2.6 nm east of F72

used to scare the crap out of me.

Also, I don't know if ag pilots are afraid of heights, but they sure seem afraid of the radio.

~ Christopher

well the student passed his checkride today. yippee!

Back