Excellent Emergency Landing video!

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
This may have already made it's way through the forums at some point, but I think it is an excellent example of an engine out below 1k on departure. This is not simulated, but an actual engine out occurrence.

He will preface the video with the info and then show the GoPro in the cockpit from takeoff to landing. It is notable how very fast this situation happens and is dealt with. Great video to learn from.

#KeepYourPatternsTight

I'd have dropped the F bomb much earlier in the process. Otherwise, he did it well...he walked away.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

"Fly the plane" and he did exactly that!! For such a low time pilot, he did an outstanding job!

Yes, very good work by the PIC! I'm happy he was not hurt. I like that one golfer who was just looking at him, then slowly walks over.

Having flown around that airport, he found the only open space around there outside of the airport grounds.

I have to admit, had that happened to me that far out and at TPA or lower, I'd have gone for 680. Not a lot of open space south of the airport.

He did a real good job, obviously.

Really nice job and great video.

I find it hard to imagine a PPL student doing such a great job picking the field - there was some serendipity (luck) working along with a cool, well trained head. You may think you are picking fields from that altitude but my sense is that you point it in a direction and choices develop ahead of you and get narrowed down faster than any thoughtful selection process might suggest.

ABCD checklist, hmmm. Check the fuel, ignition, decide to punt - airspeed, land.

I'm not sure he picked the field. I think he went for 1L and didn't make it. He had the presence of mind not to try to stretch the glide.

That golf course is just short of the threshold.

I'm not sure he picked the field. I think he went for 1L and didn't make it. He had the presence of mind not to try to stretch the glide.

That golf course is just short of the threshold.

I think that is the impressive part. The urge to "stretch" to the runway must have been powerful.

was the cause of the engine failure ever reported/determined? I'd say that went about as well as one could hope.

Anyone have a link to the FAA report on this? I am interested in what they determined that cause of the engine failure to be.

Great video and lesson. In some ways student pilots are sharper and quicker to react because their training is still fresh. My CFI wouldn't let me solo until we had done a lot of engine out scenarios.

Great video and lesson. In some ways student pilots are sharper and quicker to react because their training is still fresh. My CFI wouldn't let me solo until we had done a lot of engine out scenarios.

Did you get engine outs from takeoff? I never did. Not once. In fact, only did one engine out to landing and that was on a stage check.

Did you get engine outs from takeoff? I never did. Not once. In fact, only did one engine out to landing and that was on a stage check.

I got a few and also got one on my checkride. This wasn't really the same situation, though, as he was at pattern altitude. We did simulated engine failures on nearly lesson and that included less than TPA on takeoff, while flying the pattern, and randomly out at the practice area. We always glided to a full landing when simulating engine failure in the pattern. That sometimes resulted in fairly tight turns at low altitude to get lined up.

It occurs to me training for the specific scenario (e.g. takeoff) isn't necessarily as important as just getting certain ideas and concepts cemented in your mind.

Years of RC flying back in the 60s and 70s taught me a lot about engine out situations. That is, maintain the proper angle of attack or else. There was a lot of 'or else'. I wonder if the Colgan crew would have benefited from that.

...but proficiency will always depend on some recent exercise of that eye/hand pilot stuff.

Yes. Simulated engine outs at 50', 500', 1000', whenever, wherever, including all the way to the ground whenever the CFI saw an airstrip within range and thought I needed more excitement.

The best engine out lesson I had, and it still sticks with me, and it really came back to me when I saw this video: CFI pulled the power when we were near an airport. But CFI knew we couldn't reach it, and I didn't. I did the whole ABCDE thing, and got fixated on the end of the rwy. It was slowly creeping up the windscreen and I slowly pulled back on the yoke. CFI was paying close attention to what I was doing, and I still stayed fixed on the rwy end as it kept moving up. Finally, I thought something wasn't right, looked at my ASI, swore at myself and added power. If I had been solo and not had that voice in my head tell me to check my airspeed one last time, I would have stalled/spun in from 50' about 50' short.

This guy did good.

Incredible video, especially considering I trained on that very same plane.

So what you're saying is that Harrison Ford pulled an Archammer?

Nice job. 3rd solo and you already landed soft field.

Excellent job by the pilot and kudos to the golf course for deploying the arresting gear just in time! ;)

P.S.- The sauntering emergency rescue crew was excellent as well.

Nice and calm ! I was trying to get lighter in my recliner while watching!!
Quick question, what happens after something like this as far as getting the plane off the fairway and does the pilot have to get drug/alchol tested like a truck driver does after an incident? just curious, not like you just taxi back home

Yikes. I HAVE seen this video before and I KNEW that the engine out was coming but my heart rate still elevated while watching today.
Kudos to the student pilot for not trying to stretch it to the runway and picking the only suitable landing site around. I heard the stall horn chirp almost all way down to the golf course, flying on the verge of stalling, got it down safely. Whew.

As a student pilot I did, and every new airplane checkout I have done since then (singles and twins) has included engine failures on takeoff/initial climb.

I had a engine failure in my Christen Eagle last year. I safely made a dead stick landing on the runway. The biplane descends about 15 times faster than a Cessna. I got real lucky. Here is a picture of my broken crankshaft.

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 284
I had a engine failure in my Christen Eagle last year. I safely made a dead stick landing on the runway. The biplane descends about 15 times faster than a Cessna. I got real lucky. Here is a picture of my broken crankshaft.

In my nearly 40 years on this planet, I've never seen a sheered crankshaft like that. Fractures, broken and busted webbing, etc, but nothing like that.

I can't imagine what that must have felt like in the aircraft. I assume the piston rods and engine block kind of kept everything in place ya?

Wooof

Last edited:
Quick question, what happens after something like this as far as getting the plane off the fairway and does the pilot have to get drug/alchol tested like a truck driver does after an incident? just curious, not like you just taxi back home

I don't know about drug testing, but in the case of the plane it just depends on how damaged it is and what's wrong with it that caused the forced landing in the first place. If the plane is OK, they will have a mechanic look it over and discover what went wrong. If it's a relatively easy fix, they do the repair right there on location and fly the plane off the fairway given that it is safe to do so.

If it's too damaged, to messed up, or it's not safe to fly off the fairway, they will break the plane down, usually by taking the wings off and truck it out. Sometimes they need to bring in a crane to snatch the plane to an area that the truck can access. There are people all over the country experienced in doing this. Sadly, it happens enough to have experts on hand.

Sometimes they need to bring in a crane to snatch the plane to an area that the truck can access. There are people all over the country experienced in doing this. Sadly, it happens enough to have experts on hand.

They could probably air lift it the 1/2 mile to the airport, assuming there is a major repair station there able to handle it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back