Excel List Manager

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So, the stupid "It looks like you're managing a list. Would you like to use the List Manager?" dialog came up while I was typing in Excel, and I was in speed mode and accidentally hit the return key while it was up.

Now, I can't turn the frickin' thing off. Any time I'm on that sheet and change cells, the list manager palette pops up (right in the middle of the sheet too, how annoying!) and I have to close it. I've played around with it and I can't seem to find anything to turn it off! How can I get rid of it?

And what good does it really do anyway? It seems like it can be used to validate data that's entered, but I'm only using this sheet for myself and I don't need it to be stupidified (Hmmm, if I make up a word can I copyright it?) If it can be used for something cool, great... But for now it's just annoying. REALLY annoying.

Thanks,

If it's validation, you can remove it in the cell(s) or the whole sheet.

It's a property just like formatting.

Also look under tools->data ....

The first thing you need to do is to kill, kill, kill Clippy!

mikea said:
If it's validation, you can remove it in the cell(s) or the whole sheet.

It's a property just like formatting.

Also look under tools->data ....

I didn't turn any validation or anything on... Just hit the wrong button when the "Would you like to kill yourself" dialog came up. :rolleyes:

I've been through the Tools menu, the Data menu, the Format menu... I can't find anything that seems remotely related except for Insert -> List which takes me to the "List Wizard." Not a single one of the options on the List Wizard's three screens is "TURN THIS FREAKIN' THING OFF!"

The first thing you need to do is to kill, kill, kill Clippy!

That's the best part about Office on the Mac - Clippy is not included. :D Of course, this annoying Mac-y thing is instead, but it at least turns itself into a Rubik's Cube and other such cool stuff before you turn it off and it waves and goes away. Haven't had it on in a long time.

flyingcheesehead said:
"TURN THIS FREAKIN' THING OFF!"

So, I broke down and used Excel Help. They don't directly tell you how to turn the List Manager off, but they do tell you how to clear the data out of a list.

So, I selected the list by clicking the side of its frame, moved it down far enough to have room for the data above, deselected the list, selected only the data, copied and pasted it back to where it was before this debacle, selected the list frame again, went to Edit -> Clear -> All, and the beast was gone.

I'm glad there were only 16 lines so far! Freakin' Megalosoft. :lightning:

Back