Excel Function

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Is there a way to create a list (validation) based off of a column and have other cells populate automatically based on data in the same row as the item you selected from the list? Here is the scenario...

I created a weight and balance spreadsheet but since we have 16 Cirri in our fleet, each has a different empty weight and moment. I would like to create a list for 16 tail numbers and have the cell for empty weight and moment automatically populate. In this example I would like C3 and E3 to automatically populate based on the selection of the list in A3. Thanks for any assistance!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-08 at 8.55.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-08 at 8.55.40 PM.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2011-10-08 at 8.55.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-08 at 8.55.31 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 70
I'd do it with a VBA program...select the tail number and call a routine to fill the rest in.

Hlookup

You can use hlookup you list the column to check for your target then the column that contains the corresponding data that will be inserted. The table you check can be on the same sheet in a hidden column or on a different sheet.

One of the lookup functions will do it....I will take look when home and see what I can do or you. However, knowing this board, it will be solved with ten or twenty samples or you within ten minutes :)

vlookup is the best excel function ever. (maybe not). I use it all the time.

Excell also supports IF statements in a cell.

Back