Excel acting weird

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
One day for no reason I can figure out Excel starts acting different. In the upper right corner are the -, the box, and the X. Push - and the whole thing goes to the task bar. X of course closes it. The box is either just a box or it's two little boxes. If it's one box it means you are on the setting that allows you to change the size and shape of the whole app on the screen by dragging the edges. If there are the two little boxes it means you are on the setting that has it fill the entire screen. What happened is now there is a second set of -, boxes, and X right under the main ones. This second set behaves as expected EXCEPT that it does it just for the particular "worksheet" that's open. I can adjust the shape and size within the app itself but the entire app remains covering the entire screen. If I hit the main "boxes" buttons it is now behaving differently. The entire app disappears from the screen and there is a small rectangular box that sits just above the task bar with -, box and X in it. The - has a little Exel logo right next to it. When I push the box there it just puts the whole Excel back up covering the entire screen.
It doesn't seem to be some Microsoft Office global setting issue. Word still behaves normally.

Not sitting in front of my computer right now so can't verify, but sounds like you just have either two files or two worksheets in same file open at the same time. Just keep closing inner Xs until you're down to one.

Not sitting in front of my computer right now so can't verify, but sounds like you just have either two files or two worksheets in same file open at the same time. Just keep closing inner Xs until you're down to one.
I thought of that. Even with no worksheets open it still acts the same.

Update recently? That's usually my angst point.

Found the problem. Way up in the upper left corner is a button. It's an Excel logo. I must clicked it once inadvertently. I don't know exactly what I did after pushing it, but it worked. Things are back to normal

There's always Open Office. Next time, open it with OO and see if the problem persists. If it does, you'll know it's the workbook and not the software per se.

Back