Examples of rude pilots

I think a lot of it is age. As I get older, I find myself wearying of fighting the same battles, over and over, with the idiots of the world. It's so much easier to not care.

Then, I will drive past the one fast food joint on my island, and see the enormous pile of litter in the ditch across the street, where every asshat tourist has thrown their wrappers. And I will fly right back into a rage about things no one can change. How stupid.

Pilots, by and large, are better than that. As someone who owns a business that caters to all kinds, I can attest to the fact that pilots, in general, are head and shoulders above the common citizen in terms of literacy, honesty, and intelligence.

San Diego has a $1,000.00 fine for littering that is more than reasonably well enforced. We also have volunteer "adopt a highway" program. We still of course have litter, but nothing like in some places. You might consider taking such ideas up with your town council since you are a tourist destination like we are here.

It would also kick some serious money into the towns GF, especially in the beginning. The naysayers will insist that it will **** off the tourists and they wont come back if they get stuck with such a huge fine, but clean streets and roadways will contribute a whole lot more to building your island as a tourist destination than offending a few traveling pigs will harm it.

-John

How about a Baron owner who came into our hangar and asked me to moonlight on his plane? He was p**sed because the price of an oil change went up after he added filters.

How about a Baron owner who came into our hangar and asked me to moonlight on his plane? He was p**sed because the price of an oil change went up after he added filters.

Are we talking about CHEAP pilots or RUDE pilots?:dunno: Most pilots are cheap, only a few are rude about it. :D
I was talking to a guy I went to high school with yesterday, he has a window tint shop. He was changing the oil on his daughter's car, he spent $40.00 on the oil and filter from a parts store.:yikes: I told him my shop only charged $29.99 if he wanted to save some time! :D

San Diego has a $1,000.00 fine for littering that is more than reasonably well enforced. We also have volunteer "adopt a highway" program. We still of course have litter, but nothing like in some places. You might consider taking such ideas up with your town council since you are a tourist destination like we are here.

It would also kick some serious money into the towns GF, especially in the beginning. The naysayers will insist that it will **** off the tourists and they wont come back if they get stuck with such a huge fine, but clean streets and roadways will contribute a whole lot more to building your island as a tourist destination than offending a few traveling pigs will harm it.

-John

We have the adopt-a-highway thing, but apparently no litter law enforcement.

The litter on the highway is just a reflection on the sort of people that will drive all day long to get to a unique island destination -- and then eat at What-a-Burger. WTF?

What's funny and sad is that there are terrific little mom & pop restaurants here that will serve you the best shrimp po'boy you've ever had, for LESS than the fast food joint charges for a pink slime-burger.

Maybe I'm too easy on people, but almost everyone I've met in the general aviation community has been a nice person.

I've only had real issues with two people in the general aviation community and both those were born against Christians.

Which part of Christianity were they against?

I've only had real issues with two people in the general aviation community and both those were born against Christians.

Sort of the aviation equivalent of the Harley rider that takes his bike to Sturgis in the back of his pickup.

Met several in the Black Hills who had their bikes flown in to Rapid City for Sturgis. Brand new leathers.

Seen it! :lol:

That reminds me (thread drift) a couple years ago on Craigslist there was an add for "sightseeing" flights around Sturgis. In a Cherokee six. To join the mile high club. It had a bed in the back with some weird cheetah print on it. I always wonder how many people called.

I'd wonder how many clean sets of sheets they had... :D

Speaking of trash, there's someone in our row of hangars that throws out their trash bags next to our dumpster. I guess they want us to open the dumpster and take care of the trash for them?

I'd like to find out who it is so I an take the trash and dump it in front of their own hangar.

Speaking of trash, there's someone in our row of hangars that throws out their trash bags next to our dumpster. I guess they want us to open the dumpster and take care of the trash for them?

I'd like to find out who it is so I an take the trash and dump it in front of their own hangar.

It's likely an old man that can no longer lift things high enough to get them in the dumpster or lift the lid.

It's likely an old man that can no longer lift things high enough to get them in the dumpster or lift the lid.

No, the dumpster is closed and locked, and paid for by the people in our hangar complex, not public.

They just dumped their trash and left.

Maybe they figured that close counts in trash the same as horse-shoes.

No, the dumpster is closed and locked, and paid for by the people in our hangar complex, not public.

I know this sound a bit disgusting, but open the bags and see if there is any mail in the trash. You'll have their address and can return their lost property.

Empty Phillips X/C cans won't tell you much, but the empty filter box might narrow it down to what type engine is installed. And you could learn whether he prefers Sonic vs. Wendy's, or maybe the Mex joint. :p

I know this sound a bit disgusting, but open the bags and see if there is any mail in the trash. You'll have their address and can return their lost property.

That's what we did. Drove back to the church, had a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't get up until the next morning, when we got a phone call from Officer Obie. He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

-- from Arlo Guthrie's song Alice's Restaurant

That's what we did. Drove back to the church, had a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't get up until the next morning, when we got a phone call from Officer Obie. He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."

-- from Arlo Guthrie's song Alice's Restaurant

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I have the 30th anniversary recording of that. There's a bit where Chip Carter found him at his dad's inauguration and told him there was a copy of it in the Nixon library. "Nixon was brought down for 18 minutes and 23 seconds missing off a tape and I thought to myself, 'just how many things in this world are 18 minutes and 23 seconds long?":rofl:

Looked like kitchen trash, cans, etc. I think it's the people down the row who use the hangar to park their RV and trashy race car, no plane. Saw them loading up Thursday evening, trash was there Friday AM. May need to rig my Go Pro or get an IP cam.

If it's them should I talk with them directly, leave a note, or report to apart manager?

Tie a note to the bag that says "Found by dumpster. Did you lose it?" and put it in front of their hangar.

Looked like kitchen trash, cans, etc. I think it's the people down the row who use the hangar to park their RV and trashy race car, no plane. Saw them loading up Thursday evening, trash was there Friday AM. May need to rig my Go Pro or get an IP cam.

If it's them should I talk with them directly, leave a note, or report to apart manager?

Which part of Christianity were they against?

No idea... I didn't deal with them on that level. Their business practices were suspect and I've noticed this among many of the overtly religious outside of GA as well.

P.S. Ahhh... I see.. I made a typo "Born against Christian"... of course I mean to to say "Born AGAIN Christian". However, I suspect is was less of a typo and more a Freudian slip..

Last edited:
T......... "professional Christians."

The names of Jimmie Swaggert, Jim and Tammie Fye Bakker, Reverand Jessie Jackson, reverand Al Sharpton and numerous others who milk the innocent, gullible suckers out their of hard earned money so they can live high on the hog...:mad2:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Last edited:
If you think pilots are bad you should try boating.The bigger and newer the boat the more attitude from the owner.

If you think pilots are bad you should try boating.The bigger and newer the boat the more attitude from the owner.

And the more hilarious to watch them f up at the dock or launch ramp:D

Zig Ziglar called them "name-brand Christians."

My favorite line was when the TV reporter from 60 Minutes asked the Reverend Ike how he reconciled his proclaimed mission of helping the poor and down-trodden with the gold-embossed wallpaper in his office.

Ike replied "I do not apologize for my opulence. I concluded long ago that I could not help the poor people by being one of them."

The names of Jimmie Swaggert, Jim and Tammie Fye Bakker, Reverand Jessie Jackson, reverand Al Sharpton and numerous others who milk the innocent, gullible suckers out there of hard earned money so they can live high on the hog...:mad2:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Last edited:
Two weeks ago we were at Brenham, TX, for lunch at the Southern Flyer. If you ever get the chance, go to this 50s-themed airport restaurant...

After an enormously unhealthy, marvelous meal, we had to feed Amelia. There was a guy in a very old V-tail Bo at the pumps, so we just sat on one of the restaurant's observation benches to wait.

And wait. And wait. Finally, I decided to pull our little RV into his peripheral vision, so he would know someone was waiting. It made no difference.

Finally I walked up to the plane. They were inside, joking around, seemingly doing a pre-buy inspection. This was hard to believe, given the 95+ degrees on the ramp, but they seemed not to notice. I politely pointed out that we needed gas, too, and could they please push away from the pumps?

Then, the fun began. For whatever reason the guy had parked nose-in at the pumps, rather than parallel, and there's a wee bit of a downhill slope into the pump at Brenham. Mary and I watched from our plane as he struggled mightily to push the old Bo back -- by putting his shoulder under the spinner and straining as hard as he could.

As I was heading across the ramp to lend a push, the other guy finally got out to help, and pushed as hard as he could -- on the cowling. Augh!

That did the trick, and soon these guys were on their way...

Two weeks ago we were at Brenham, TX, for lunch at the Southern Flyer. If you ever get the chance, go to this 50s-themed airport restaurant...

After an enormously unhealthy, marvelous meal, we had to feed Amelia. There was a guy in a very old V-tail Bo at the pumps, so we just sat on one of the restaurant's observation benches to wait.

And wait. And wait. Finally, I decided to pull our little RV into his peripheral vision, so he would know someone was waiting. It made no difference.

Finally I walked up to the plane. They were inside, joking around, seemingly doing a pre-buy inspection. This was hard to believe, given the 95+ degrees on the ramp, but they seemed not to notice. I politely pointed out that we needed gas, too, and could they please push away from the pumps?

Then, the fun began. For whatever reason the guy had parked nose-in at the pumps, rather than parallel, and there's a wee bit of a downhill slope into the pump at Brenham. Mary and I watched from our plane as he struggled mightily to push the old Bo back -- by putting his shoulder under the spinner and straining as hard as he could.

As I was heading across the ramp to lend a push, the other guy finally got out to help, and pushed as hard as he could -- on the cowling. Augh!

That did the trick, and soon these guys were on their way...

I was at Brenham yesterday and watched an SR22 come within inches of tagging an MU2 when he decided to turn around IN a tie down spot, not just pull through to the empty ones in front of him.

Sort of the aviation equivalent of the Harley rider that takes his bike to Sturgis in the back of his pickup.
No, no, no... He trailers his bike to 30 miles OUTSIDE of Sturgis, then rides it into town...

No, no, no... He trailers his bike to 30 miles OUTSIDE of Sturgis, then rides it into town...

Yeah dat. Road 2 days in the saddle from east of Cleveland to Sturgis, about 1,400 miles each way. Buds and I laughed our a$$es off at the poser trailer queens in Wall, SD off loading their scoots so they could profile their way on into Sturgis.

WTF this has to do with aviation is beyond me. :dunno:

-jeff

Last edited:
Can anybody explain the reason to ride a motorcycle across Tx, OK, KS and other such places during summer heat when the alternative is to ride in an air-conditioned car or fly in a nice plane?
Yeah dat. Road 2 days in the saddle from east of Cleveland to Sturgis, about 1,400 miles each way. Buds and I laughed our a$$es off at the poser trailer queens in Wall, SD off loading their scoots so they could profile their way on into Sturgis.

WTF this has to do with aviation is beyond me. :dunno:

-jeff

Back