Example of radio calls

[Jargon Alert] AMU = Aviation Monetary Alert = $1,000

The Kore Aviation headset I mentioned I got for $140 each.

I’d like to purchase a used inexpensive set of two of the same model for my girl and I.

Not necessary to get the same model. If you get the GF one with no microphone, or at least clip off her mic connector, your flights will be much more peaceful....

Not necessary to get the same model. If you get the GF one with no microphone, or at least clip off her mic connector, your flights will be much more peaceful....
:D

The best thing my friend ever bought for his 170 was the comm box where we could isolate the crew / passengers. His 12 year old daughter and her friend can now have their conversations or sing their songs, without making us want to jump out of the plane.

It's tough to find the headset you like the first time. You'll learn a lot from the first few sets you try, so I also tell people to buy cheap so they can start to get a feel for what suits them well. Check your local craigslist for sale ads; they just added a new aviation section. Mention to other pilots that you're looking to buy and I'm sure you'll find something to fit the bill.

Beware older plastic headsets when buying used. The plastic degrades over time and becomes brittle, so it's not hard to break the fragile yokes around the ear cups. Some of them came with a soft-touch surface that turns gummy over time.

Just key the mike and talk as if you were on your phone with a friend. As mentioned earlier, "Who you are talking to" - "Who you are" - "What you are doing" - "Airport where you are" at". IE. "Eastpodunk Traffic, N1234A, Backtaxi runway 11, Eastpodunk."
Never say "eastpodunk traffic please advise>"

So I would say Mt. Vernon traffic, Jabiru Niner 698Juliet, ready for taxi, Mt. Vernon?

November Six Niner Eight Juliet, not Niner Six Eight Juliet. The latter amounts to N9698J, which sounds like a Cherokee :)

This Kore headset was my first headset. Still use it on occasion...yesterday actually.
Most headsets bother the top of my head for some reason, but the Kore doesn't. Best I've ever worn for that, including Bose A20, David Clarks, Bose X, Faro, ASA, Lightspeed 33, etc.. (haven't tried the Lightspeed Zulu's yet), and thus the reason I also bought Halo's.

Here's my quick report (and opinion) on the Kore if you are interested:
1. ATC seems to ask me to repeat myself on occasion. Not so when using the Halo's (or others mentioned)....and not overly so, but I noticed.
2. Once in a while an odd static/squeal may occur, depending on the plane and/or headset combination. Unable to resolve on two occasions, and swapped out headsets.
3. I hear a little more clearly with the Halos (and some of the other brands mentioned).
4. Very good noise reduction for a passive set.
5. Super comfy on both the head and ears.
For the price, they are good.

For top quality on all accounts, especially sound, I have to agree with getting a higher end set like Bose or Lightspeed. And Bluetooth (to your phone or other device) can be useful at times.

Added bonus of Kore = if ATC keeps asking you to repeat yourself, you'll get more practice with radio calls!

(that's a joke)

Yeah Clark, I was meaning that it’s more of an optional radio call to make, unlike a departure, crosswind, downwind call etc.

If you want to be pedantic and say that all of those radio calls are optional, than be my guest, but I think you get my gist.

Clark is right Ryan. You just plain ****ed up. :D
What you should have said was these calls are strongly recommended, but are not mandatory. See? Easy peasey. ;)

Clark is right Ryan. You just plain ****ed up. :D
What you should have said was these calls are strongly recommended, but are not mandatory. See? Easy peasey. ;)
Impossible! I’m never wrong! :incazzato:

:D

That's besides the point. ;)
I kid I kid.

If you feel the need to announce when you’re moving around on the ramp than by all means do it. Like I said, sometimes I’ll do it depending on the situation at hand, but usually I don’t feel the need.

‘Necessary’ wasn’t the right word choice on my part.

I kid I kid.

If you feel the need to announce when you’re moving around on the ramp than by all means do it. Like I said, sometimes I’ll do it depending on the situation at hand, but usually I don’t feel the need.

‘Necessary’ wasn’t the right word choice on my part.

It's all good, now tell Clark you're sorry. :D:rofl:

Just remember, everyone is listening and if you screw up they will laugh uncontrollably and ridicule you if they see you in person.

Actually, everyone screws up calls, don't worry about it. Try to keep it concise and short. Don't try to talk too fast, think about what you want to communicate before pushing the PTT. It's one of the easier aspects of flying once you get over that initial fear.

Try having some fun with it. “For all you Podunk listeners who are big fans of 123AB, we’re entering the downwind. Back in a moment with another exciting update! Podunk!”

Meh.... go old school!

ede7361b782e2578b000da3fa198e559.jpg

Back