exam questions

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hello,

I'm due for a new medical in March and I'm planning on upgrading to 2nd class as I hope to be getting my commercial later in the spring. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to get a copy of my last application?

2) When upgrading the class of medical, is it still OK to write "previously reported" or do I have to detail everything again?

Thanks,

flyingcheesehead said:
Hello,

I'm due for a new medical in March and I'm planning on upgrading to 2nd class as I hope to be getting my commercial later in the spring. I just have a couple of questions:

Doubtful but wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor if his/her office keeps a copy. FWIW, you receive a copy--put it in a safe place.

2) When upgrading the class of medical, is it still OK to write "previously reported" or do I have to detail everything again?

Yes, provided it actually was previoulsy reported on any FAA medical application.

Kent you do not need the 2nd class to get your commercial certificate. You only need it to exercise the privelages of that certificate. Something to think about...

At the AME before you select what medical you want ask him what the differences are in requirments. It would be bad to select the 2nd class and then not achieve the minimum requirments which could lead to a denial or referal to OKC.

The advice I have always been given is only get the medical you need at that time.

Scott

flyingcheesehead said:
I'm due for a new medical in March and I'm planning on upgrading to 2nd class as I hope to be getting my commercial later in the spring.
As Scott said, you can train and test for your commercial on a 3rd class -- you only need the 2nd class to exercise the privileges of your new certificate.

I haven't yet found an AME who doesn't keep a copy of every 8500-8 he does.

It's OK.

My AME's staff automatically hand you your last one when they give you the new app to fill out. Helps to jog the memory...

flyingcheesehead said:

Like everyone else said. the AME is supposed to give you a copy of your form(your sides answers, not the Docs comments)

If it was previously reported, it is still previously reported.

The only real difference in the exam is the EYE requirements: You have to be 20/20(correctable) in each eye and you have to have a test of Phoria (it's a test to see how much your brain has to do to keep the picture from both eyes together. If the pictures are far off, then you get double vision easier if you are impaired by hypoxia or alcohol and such)

It is also harder to get some special issuances with a second class medical.

It doesn't hurt to get a second class medical if you can pass, even if you don't need it. After the first year it reverts to a third class for another year or two depending on your age. I charge the same for either exam and I think that is pretty much the norm. I also don't mind if someone decides which one they are going to apply for until after they know if they can pass.

Barb (AME)

One Short said:
It doesn't hurt to get a second class medical if you can pass, even if you don't need it. After the first year it reverts to a third class for another year or two depending on your age.

Minor nit, but a second class medical never "reverts to a third class"; a second class medical remains a second class medical until the expiration date printed on the medical certificate. What does happen one year after a second class medical is issued is that the certificate may no longer be used for privileges requiring a second class medical.

One Short said:
The only real difference in the exam is the EYE requirements: You have to be 20/20(correctable) in each eye and you have to have a test of Phoria (it's a test to see how much your brain has to do to keep the picture from both eyes together. If the pictures are far off, then you get double vision easier if you are impaired by hypoxia or alcohol and such)

Barb (and everyone else too),

Thanks! That should make things pretty easy. I'll run through TurboMedical beforehand anyway. However, I don't think anything really major has happened to me since my last medical, at least not that I went to the hospital for... (I don't KNOW if I broke any ribs on that Jet-ski or not!)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back