Ever Have a WTF Mental Moment ?

North and south is like up and down, harder to confuse. Lateral dimensions are much harder for some (just ask a crowd to raise their left hand and watch :) - I don't mean this as an insult to anyone, just pure occurrence of events).

Oh yes. I've had days I've flown several different planes. When those days involve all university, which are all 5xxMT, things get interesting. I've had a lot of days of "murfreesboro traffic, Diamo- Cess- Lusc- Arrow- uh what the hell am I flying again?"

Yes, that kind of thing has happened to me. But only for "east and west", NEVER "north and south!"

I only have it happen on east/west. Never had a problem with north/south.

Why is it that no one ever confuses north and south, but almost everyone screws up east and west sometimes? :dunno:

No idea why but I'm exactly the same way. I don't think I've ever screwed up N/S but I do mess up E/W with a decent amount of regularity.

We have 4 planes in the club. I can fully identify with this one. :yes:

My club has over 50. After getting my PPL it seemed like I was flying a different plane every single flight. I got into the habit of visually checking the dash plaque before every single call, not so much because I would use the wrong tail number, but because I honestly had no idea what mine was.

Biggest WTF moment I can think of right now was coming into KMYF from the west. There are parallel runways, and usually it's right pattern for 28R and left for 28L. I requested 28R and they told me "Enter left downwind for 28R" I then repeated it back to them while continuing towards the right downwind. After a few minutes tower came back "confirm you are going to turn right for the left downwind" "Ummm, YEP!" as I crank the plane to the right. Didn't expect them to want me to cross 28L final to land on 28R and just put myself on autopilot. Thankfully I was far enough out that it wasn't really a problem for anyone.

Last edited:
Back