19. Texas A&M 9-2 320
20. Butler 8-3 315
21. Temple 9-2 244
22. Washington 7-2 194
23. Texas Tech 9-1 192
24. Clemson 10-2 151
25. Gonzaga 8-3 146

Holy crap! Go Lobos!

Your definition of "news" leaves something to be desired...

I have a question....

What is a Lobo?

Is it the guy who runs illegals across the border?

I have a question....

What is a Lobo?

Its a wolf.

Funny story - when the Lobos first became the Lobos (were the "Varsities" before that), they had a real Lobo as the mascot. One day, a little kid decided to tease it and it bit him.

The original Lobo was destroyed, and Lobo Louie was born. And the Sports world has never been the same since :D

Its a wolf.

Funny story - when the Lobos first became the Lobos (were the "Varsities" before that), they had a real Lobo as the mascot. One day, a little kid decided to tease it and it bit him.

The original Lobo was destroyed, and Lobo Louie was born. And the Sports world has never been the same since :D

We used to have a live cougar mascot at WSU. The veterinary students took care of him, including feeding and playing with him. They'd put him in a portable cage for football and basketball games. I remember reaching through the bars and scratching him behind the ears. Same reaction you'd get from your cat, he leaned into it. My dad was his vet. Now we have a chearleader in a suit.

I have a question....

What is a Lobo?

A Lobo is a bad singer from the 1970's. It would seem that New Mexicans are so enthralled by him that they named their team after him. It is probably a result of massive ketchup consumption. :D

Its a wolf.

Typical reaction - kid does something stupid, animal reacts appropriately, animal gets killed, kid gets told "It's ok, that big bad animal won't hurt you anymore."

What's wrong with this picture?

Typical reaction - kid does something stupid, animal reacts appropriately, animal gets killed, kid gets told "It's ok, that big bad animal won't hurt you anymore."

What's wrong with this picture?
I really do hate that.

A few years back a kid from not too far away was down in Florida snorkeling. The 12 year old boy decided when he saw a small shark to pull the tail of the shark. The shark did what any animal would when threatened, it turned and bit the kid right in chest and would not let go. The kid got back on the boat and they took him to the hospital. The shark was about 1 foot long and had maybe a 2" bite radius. The kid was in no danger. A diver did snap a photo that got in the paper.

When the kid got to the hospital the doctors could not get the shark to release. So they killed the shark and got him off of the kids chest. Sharks are endangered and this one had only reacted as it should to a stupid kid pulling it's tail. 12 year boys are plentiful. IMHO they should not have killed the shark, maybe they need to euthanize the idiot kid and then set the shark free.

Another story. For those of you who visit the KSC visitors center in Florida you may notice two chain link fences surrounding the pond out front. Like any body of water in Florida gators will find their way into it and this pond was no exception. When I first went to work at Cape Canaveral the pnd only had a 4 foot tall chain link fence with signs that stated that gators were wild animals. But that did not stop some lady from putting her toddler on the back of a gator to get a nice picture. Since the gator was up by the fence all she had to was lean over it.

The gator, being a simple eating machine, did what it does best and gleefully snacked away on the treat from the tourist. Horrified of course the mom demanded and got a settlement for her stupidity and the space center installed a bigger fence for the less intelligent of the species that would be around that pond. The gator was captured BTW and killed. Again not really fair since it was the mom that most likely deserved that sentence for her stupidity.

I really do hate that.

A few years back a kid from not too far away was down in Florida snorkeling. The 12 year old boy decided when he saw a small shark to pull the tail of the shark. The shark did what any animal would when threatened, it turned and bit the kid right in chest and would not let go. The kid got back on the boat and they took him to the hospital. The shark was about 1 foot long and had maybe a 2" bite radius. The kid was in no danger. A diver did snap a photo that got in the paper.

When the kid got to the hospital the doctors could not get the shark to release. So they killed the shark and got him off of the kids chest. Sharks are endangered and this one had only reacted as it should to a stupid kid pulling it's tail. 12 year boys are plentiful. IMHO they should not have killed the shark, maybe they need to euthanize the idiot kid and then set the shark free.

Another story. For those of you who visit the KSC visitors center in Florida you may notice two chain link fences surrounding the pond out front. Like any body of water in Florida gators will find their way into it and this pond was no exception. When I first went to work at Cape Canaveral the pnd only had a 4 foot tall chain link fence with signs that stated that gators were wild animals. But that did not stop some lady from putting her toddler on the back of a gator to get a nice picture. Since the gator was up by the fence all she had to was lean over it.

The gator, being a simple eating machine, did what it does best and gleefully snacked away on the treat from the tourist. Horrified of course the mom demanded and got a settlement for her stupidity and the space center installed a bigger fence for the less intelligent of the species that would be around that pond. The gator was captured BTW and killed. Again not really fair since it was the mom that most likely deserved that sentence for her stupidity.

Scott, that statement is almost offensive. I think you're trying to be clever, but it didn't work. The kid was also reacting as kids do. Exploring the world. Tell me that you never climbed a tree that was stupid to climb. Tell me that you never played with a lighter that you weren't supposed to play with. To make a statement that an "endangered" shark is worth more than a human life is disturbing.

To make a statement that an "endangered" shark is worth more than a human life is disturbing.
Why is that disturbing?

Human life is not any more or less valuable than any other type of life. There are certainly far more useful lifeforms in the ocean than a 12 year old snorkeler and the killing of an endangered top tier predator does more harm than the loss of an easily replaceable 12 year old.

I am sure his parents would make the choice that their child was more valuable than some 'dumb shark', but in the scheme of things that simply is not the case. Statistically speaking the shark offered the world more than child and could be considered more valuable.

Last edited:
Why is that disturbing?

Human life is not any more or less valuable than any other type of life. There are certainly far more useful lifeforms in the ocean than a 12 year old snorkeler and the killing of an endangered top tier predator does more harm than the loss of an easily replaceable 12 year old.

Yes, it is.

I am sure his parents would make the choice that their child was more valuable than some 'dumb shark', but in the scheme of things that simply is not the case. Statistically speaking the shark offered the world more than child and could be considered more valuable.

That is disgusting. Come to Lincoln. Look at my son and tell me to my face that he is easily replaceable.

Yes, it is.
Why? If you honestly believe that all human life is valuable that the loss of anyone is a terrible crime then I have to ask you are you anti-war, pro-life, anti-death penalty, etc. If you cannot state that you are all of those things then you too have a flexible value structure on human life.

That is disgusting. Come to Lincoln. Look at my son and tell me to my face that he is easily replaceable.
To you he is not easily replaceable, I grant you that. But in the larger scheme of the world he is. We are all easily replaceable. Not one of us is so special, that should we die, existence will cease for all. I have lost loved ones and I miss them terribly, but their departures have not affected you for instance. If you had to chose who would die, my mother or your son, you would chose my mother, while I would chose your son. Is that because one is absolutely more valuable than the other or is their value relative?

The answer of course is that the value is relative to the person making the judgment.

I am just saying that human life is not any more valuable than any other life.

Why? If you honestly believe that all human life is valuable that the loss of anyone is a terrible crime then I have to ask you are you anti-war, pro-life, anti-death penalty, etc. If you cannot state that you are all of those things then you too have a flexible value structure on human life.

I didn't say that all human life is valuable. I said that, as a rule of thumb, human life is more valuable than animal life. Do you mourn when a bug hits your windshield or run over a possum or a squirrel in the street? If any of those things happen, you likely wouldn't even take your foot off of the gas pedal. So your reaction to hitting those things would be the same as hitting a person crossing the street?

To you he is not easily replaceable, I grant you that. But in the larger scheme of the world he is. We are all easily replaceable. Not one of us is so special, that should we die, existence will cease for all. I have lost loved ones and I miss them terribly, but their departures have not affected you for instance. If you had to chose who would die, my mother or your son, you would chose my mother, while I would chose your son. Is that because one is absolutely more valuable than the other or is their value relative?

The answer of course is that the value is relative to the person making the judgment.

I am just saying that human life is not any more valuable than any other life.

But if I had to choose between your mother and an endangered shark I would choose your mother.

So.......

Lobos playing Oral (hehehehehehe) Roberts tonight. Gonna be a good game. If you have DirecTV, and want to watch a good game, it should be on one of the following channels:
617 Fox College Sports
723 ESPN Full Court

Also - if you get ESPN360 on your cable package, you can watch the game.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to watch a Lobos basketball game.

So what you are telling me is that the Lobos are 12-0 playing chump leams like oral roberts? BFD :D

So what you are telling me is that the Lobos are 12-0 playing chump leams like oral roberts? BFD :D

Well.....

We beat Cal and Texas A&M to get where we are. We have Texas Tech on the 29th.

Not a cupcake schedule by any means....

:D :D

A Lobo is a bad singer from the 1970's. It would seem that New Mexicans are so enthralled by him that they named their team after him. It is probably a result of massive ketchup consumption. :D

Is that like the TSA ID checker that thought New Mexico is a foreign country? :D

I didn't say that all human life is valuable. I said that, as a rule of thumb, human life is more valuable than animal life. Do you mourn when a bug hits your windshield or run over a possum or a squirrel in the street? If any of those things happen, you likely wouldn't even take your foot off of the gas pedal. So your reaction to hitting those things would be the same as hitting a person crossing the street?
Well I have not made the claim that human life is anymore valuable. To answer your question no I do not mourn the bugs that hit my windshield, but I have been known to captures ones that get into my house and release them into the wild instead of squashing them. I do get a little sad when I see animals squashed on the side of the road, more so when they are pets that I know where only there because the owners were not properly supervising them.

But if I had to choose between your mother and an endangered shark I would choose your mother.
Why thank you. I would probably pick your boy over the shark too, but not because I find his life to be more valuable, but that I know you and value yours. The loss of your son would impact you and me albeit to a far, far lessor extent.

But in this case, in general, a nameless 12 year old boy does something in a marine sanctuary to hurt an endangered species. Darn tooting I am rooting for the shark over him. The shark had every right to be there and not be harassed. It acted as it should and it was given a death sentence for those actions.

If you go back up and look at my first post on this, I want to comment about something you have not mentioned. That was about the gator. I felt sad that the little girl was killed. I am also sad that the gator was hunted down and destroyed for what the girl's stupid mother did. I also stated that I felt she deserved that sentence instead of the gator. My question is why no objection to that statement and only to the one about the 12 year old?

I raise that as a question to illustrate a point. You immediately focused in on the situation in which you could relate to on an emotional level. By your response it would appear that you felt that the 12 year old was worth mentioning and arguing over but not the mother of the girl. I am not accusing of you of anything but a natural reaction on the relative worth of a person based on your own personal value system. Please do not think I am criticizing your values, I am just pointing out that yours differ from mine in these cases because of our personal situations. Perhaps if I had a son I would feel as you do. But I don't, and so my values on the relative worth of a life differ from yours. I respect your opinion and wish that you could have respected mine.

Hey, Nick, this thread has to stop!!

I am 100% uninterested in basketball of any sort.

Yet this morning, I found myself listening to the radio, when the sports report came on, and I actually thought "I wonder how UNM did." :yikes:

Hey, Nick, this thread has to stop!!

I am 100% uninterested in basketball of any sort.

Yet this morning, I found myself listening to the radio, when the sports report came on, and I actually thought "I wonder how UNM did." :yikes:

Unfortunately, I'm a bad fan....

The game is tonight, not last night. Dunno what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, I'm a bad fan....

The game is tonight, not last night. Dunno what I was thinking.

you were thinking "It's time to go out and get some beer so I can watch the game!"

Back