Evektor SportStar - A Kick In The Pants!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Went out to KGPM (Grand Prairie Municipal) this morning, just south of DFW, for a checkout in their new Evektor SportStar LSA aircraft. Before heading to the airport, I stepped outside with the dog, and it was clear, cool, and sunny, as it's been in North Texas for the last two weeks. Perfect day for flying!

I almost didn't check weather, but the thought of TFRs made me go look... and lo and behold, if it didn't say there was thick fog (airmet for it!) just to the east of my location. Sure enough, enroute to the airport, the ceilings got lower and lower, til even the cell phone towers were poking their bases into the clouds. It wasn't really fog, as it didn't reach the ground, and visiblity beneath the clouds was very good. But there was definitely low scud.

I stopped for a quick bite to eat at the restaurant just off the off ramp, and could see a banner-tow airplane circling over the top of KGPM (the tower had not yet opened), and he'd go in and out of the base of the clouds. It was strange to see the aircraft disappear, and this big "Christmas Music on KXXX 94.9" banner flying itself just below the clouds. KGPM is class G (towered Class G, go figure!) under the class B shelf from SFC to 700 AGL, so he was legal, but not safe, in my opinion. He was waiting for the clouds to lift so he could go 4 more miles east to Redbird (now known as Dallas Executive). That didn't happen, and he had to drop the banner in the grass between the taxiway and runway, and then land, once the tower opened, as he waited for the scud to burn off.

While waiting for the "fog" to burn off, I went out to the airplane and got the POH and spent some time studying it and talking with the instructor, Dick Earle. Dick and I had flown once before, in 2001, when he did a "mock checkride" for my instrument ticket right before the real one with the DE.

Coincidentally, before leaving for the airport this morning I opened my September (October?) issue of EAA Sport Pilot magazine, and there was an article about LSA's being used for flight training, and the advances that Aviator Air Center at KGPM has made in this regard, from being the first FBO to get LSA-training added to it's Part 141 certificate, to having old city hall regulations changed. The airport rules mimicked the FAA's regulations at the time they were written, and prohibited landings or takeoffs by any individual who did not hold a valid FAA pilot certificate AND current medical. Of course, that means LSA pilots who self-certify their medical would be illegal to land at KGPM, and this put a big knot in AAC's LSA-training plans. With some local advocates helping convince the City council, they got the rule changed, and as of July 2006, LSA pilots can solo at KGPM.

On to the SportStar: WOW, what an airplane. I read one review that described it as "fun, a Mini Cooper with wings." I couldn't say it any better.

The cabin is very roomy. With my long legs, I appreciate that it does NOT have a center console that extends from the panel to the floor. Center consoles restrict leg movement and cause the console to push against my right leg, causing pain and constriction of movement. There was plenty of leg room in this plane, and the seating was very comfortable as well.

The plane is aluminum semi monocoque construction, very well built, with a Rotax 912 100hp air-and-liquid-cooled engine powering a 3-bladed fixed pitch (ground adjustable by a mechanic) prop made of carbon fiber covering wood.

Preflight is standard, and simple. Two 15 gallon wing tanks (1 right, 1 left) give 30 gallons capacity. Fuel burn ranges from 3.8gph at 55% power to 6.6gph at full power (5500 rpm, 5 minute limit). Vne is 146 knots, Vno is 103 knots, Vma is 86 knots, and Vs0 is 37 or 38 knots.

Each wing has flaps that extend in three notches using a center bar between the seats, Piper style, that range from 15 degrees (normal takeoff position) to 55 degrees for a full-flap landing. The flaps, which are very effective, extend from the bottom of the wing (split flaps), so you can't see them from the airplane's cockpit.

At the rear of each wing, on the bottom and tank low-point, is an easy-to-access fuel strainer drain.

Once aboard, you fasten the lap belt, then the two shoulder restraints. Headsets plug in before you get on board, into jacks in the seat-back rail. This keeps the headset cords out from around your feet, which I like. Engine startup and management is different--there is no mixture control, no prop control. Turn the master on, aux fuel pump on, beacon on, and click the key to Start, and it runs. Super simple.

We picked up AWOS and called ground for taxi. The runup area clear, we pulled in and powered up to 4000 RPM for a mag check. Super smooth, we briefed the departure procedure (rotate at 55 knots, climb out at 60). The airplane's nosewheel IS tied to the rudder pedals, not free-castering like the Diamond, so the one "gotcha" is to remember to have that nosewheel centered when it comes down on the runway, especially if you were dealing with a crosswind. If it's not centered, you're heading for the edge of the runway when the nosewheel touches, not to mention the load it might put on the gear.

Taxiing was easy, at idle power our speed was just right, no need to touch the brakes to manage speed. The SportStar has a 26 foot wing span, and can turn in 35' or so.

We rolled onto the runway, applied power, and within 500 feet we were airborne and climbing FAST. I forgot to look at the VSI (the view was overpowering from that bubble canopy!), but I'd estimate 800-1000 fpm with 400# of passengers on board.

The fog had burned off over the airport and straight ahead, but was still around to the west and east, so as we climbed to 2000' over Joe Pool Lake for slow flight and stalls, we ended up above the magic white carpet that stretched out over the city. Very cool, awesome views. I had purposely left my camera at home so I'd focus on training, not sight-seeing, but I wish I had a picture of that view.

The optics are fantastic--no noticable distortion in the corners like I get on the C172SP. Stalls were gentle, with good rudder authority right down through 25 knots, and the stall shudder and break was clean with no tendency to drop a wing.

The stick is intuitive and a natural way to fly, though very "responsive" for those used to sloppy control-cable systems. With push-pull tubes between the control surface bellcranks and the stick in the cockpit, there is NO slop--if you move the stick, something out on the wing or tail is moving. This made for a WONDERFUL "think and it goes there" experience. The instructor said the most common problem with new pilots to the Sport Star is overcontrolling... once they get used to making minor movements, things smooth out and get stable.

We headed back to the airport for landings and pattern work. Pulling the power back below 4000 rpm will always get you into the white arc. Actually, with the touchy (responsive) throttle, "pushing" or "pulling" the power is only done for take-off and "you just lost your engine" work. All other power changes are made using the twist it in or out vernier control, which worked very well. Twist the power back to 4000 rpm, white arc, 10 degrees of flaps and trim (electric buttons on the top of the stick) for 60 knots. The electric trim is VERY responsive and only needs two or three quick "bumps" of the button. There is no manual trim wheel, so if you find you have runaway trim, you'll want to know where the breaker for the motor is so you can pull it QUICKLY, or you'll be dealing with a mistrimmed (full aft or fore) all the way to landing. Just one of those "know your airplane" things.

Over the fence at 55-60 knots, and the tendency my first time around was to start the round out and flair too high--Cessna 172 or 182 sight picture. "Fly it lower first" came the instructor's voice. I didn't like the way the first landing was going, as I over controlled with that sensitive pitch and felt pilot induced oscillations setting up, so I applied power and went around. The next 8 landings were awesome... this plane is easy to fly.

On one of our circuits, the banner-tow aircraft took off behind us to come around and pick up the banner again from the midfield. I turned my head to see where he was, over my left shoulder, and the view was without equal. No crossbars or wings or anything in the way... keeping an eye on the traffic was super simple. We shortened that circuit by pulling the power on downwind for a simulated engine out, to give the banner-tow some spacing, and the plane landed and stopped in 300 feet.

Anyway, that's about it. I have it reserved again for tomorrow morning, and can't wait. You'd have to pay real attention to winds aloft if you were planning on going somewhere with this plane, as it's groundspeed would be severely affected by any headwind, but if you're not in a hurry and it's VFR, it's capable and comfortable for a trip.

They are renting it for $88/hr wet. I paid $103 for an instructor and an hour of flight. Not bad...

Nice thorough write-up.
It's good to see some new kinds of small planes in the air too.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention one thing that I wanted to say:

The Rotax runs really smooth, BUT it has one behavior that seems odd coming from Lycoming/Continentals: when you turn the ignition switch to OFF to turn off the engine, it STOPS. BANG. NOW. It doesn't spin down, it stops hard with a CLUNK, and that prop stops moving NOW. Almost unnerving, you think you just did crank damage! :) I'm told that's how they behave.

Troy Whistman said:
The Rotax runs really smooth, BUT it has one behavior that seems odd coming from Lycoming/Continentals: when you turn the ignition switch to OFF to turn off the engine, it STOPS. BANG. NOW. It doesn't spin down, it stops hard with a CLUNK, and that prop stops moving NOW. Almost unnerving, you think you just did crank damage! :) I'm told that's how they behave.
I suspect that plane probably has the Rotax 912S which has higher compression (10.5:1) than the standard 912 or your typical Cessna (8.5:1).

I'm also thinking that the reduction system for the prop (slows the prop down to a usable RPM) could be a factor too.

Back