evaluate this wreck

Wow. Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

Everyone survived??? I'd be curious to know what kind of back/spinal damage they received from that one....might want to invest in some Beechcraft seats.....

I'm guessing that "awning" has a pretty substantial structure, and the wings caught it just right - decelerating the cabin structure just enough. After this, the bird impacted right on its nose, which compressed nicely and further limited damage to the cabin. The "departure" started at a very low altitude and for various reasons never developed a really high sink rate - although it looks bad enough on the video. Okay, everybody survived, but we don't know what kind of shape they're in. No fire, fortunately. No sense in that group playing the lottery. All of their luck was used up here.

Looks on some frames like one of the occupants was being ejected :eek: .

NTSB prelims are known to underestimate degree of injury.

Looks on some frames like one of the occupants was being ejected :eek: .

NTSB prelims are known to underestimate degree of injury.

I saw that too. I was relieved that the report said everyone survived.

Now you go and ruin it for me.

I would like to know why he was dropping out of the sky almost inverted. Perhaps a stall/spin?

Never mind - I just read the report...

Last edited:
I wonder if they hit a power line or tower prior to that impact

I'm thinking one of the engines crapped out and he rolled at low alt.

That's my thought. He lost an engine for whatever reason on climb-out, forgot to pull up his flaps and gear (you typically will not maintain altitude with only one engine with flaps and gear down, especially with a windmilling prop), and then tried to stay above the ground, getting into a Vmc roll.

That's my thought. He lost an engine for whatever reason on climb-out, forgot to pull up his flaps and gear (you typically will not maintain altitude with only one engine with flaps and gear down, especially with a windmilling prop), and then tried to stay above the ground, getting into a Vmc roll.

I don't think he was on climb-out, at least from what the NTSB prelim says. It says he had a gear problem, that apparently was resolved, then another unspecified "problem". Could be that he fixated on the problem, got too slow and just augered in...

I don't think he was on climb-out, at least from what the NTSB prelim says. It says he had a gear problem, that apparently was resolved, then another unspecified "problem". Could be that he fixated on the problem, got too slow and just augered in...

He'd done a low approach, and was then trying to head around for another pass. He might not have actually been climbing, but that was the intention.

The video seems indicative of a stall/spin/Vmc roll.

I'm thinking one of the engines crapped out and he rolled at low alt.

This is from the article referenced above:

Another post on the Innovative Concepts website said, “According to family members, the last thing that Lonny and Greg remember was a warning alarm on approach, which went away when the landing gear was deployed, followed by a cleared visual inspection by the tower. Greg recalls an engine failure before he loses memory, and Lonny is quoted as ‘That’s not good’ right before the crash.

Read more: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/02/10/1477313/san-bernardino-plane-crash.html#ixzz1Fq150Yzq

(really sneaky website software, the moment you cut and paste something from their site it adds the 'Reat more:' part to it :thumbsup: )

He'd done a low approach, and was then trying to head around for another pass. He might not have actually been climbing, but that was the intention.

The video seems indicative of a stall/spin/Vmc roll.

Yup! he was only 150' so he had to climb to get back into the pattern.

This is from the article referenced above:

Another post on the Innovative Concepts website said, “According to family members, the last thing that Lonny and Greg remember was a warning alarm on approach, which went away when the landing gear was deployed, followed by a cleared visual inspection by the tower. Greg recalls an engine failure before he loses memory, and Lonny is quoted as ‘That’s not good’ right before the crash.

(really sneaky website software, the moment you cut and paste something from their site it adds the 'Reat more:' part to it :thumbsup: )

Gives more creedance to the Vmc roll.

Do I have this correctly, they were worried about 3 greens so they did a fly by, got the okie dokie from the tower, than had an engine failure? Based on the interview, that seems to be the scenario.

That would certainly seem to be big workload, low and slow for even the most accomplished and well trained and I can see the reluctance to retract given the speculation of the gear down.

The rest of the story is really anybody's guess and I'm thinking things went south pretty quick from there and we all know how hard those things are to remember.

than had an engine failure? Based on the interview, that seems to be the scenario.

I think some sort of fuel starvation / exhaustion (more likely exhaustion) could be an issue. Again, no fire. The truth will eventually come out.

I'm glad you said that and not me! :D

...but it is strikingly different.
There seems to be... uh... somewhat less fuel involved... :wink2:

That must have been a crazy few seconds.... and what an arrival!!! :eek:

I know the occupants survived, but they must have gotten hurt as badly as one can without dying. Without that lightweight structure to take some of the edge off, they'd probably be dead.

Was that a person flug out @ :53??

Back