Eureka/Arcata, CA

aviatingfool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
aviatingfool
Is anyone familiar with airports in the area? Anywhere to recommend for walking to lunch?
Thanks!

I've landed in Samoa, Murray and Kneeland.

The only thing good about Kneeland is that it's well above the summer fog. The bad things are that it's 20 miles of very steep highway from Eureka, there's only two tiedowns and no security, 50' and 500' foot dropoffs on either side of the sloping runway and a mountain in the traffic pattern. Other than that, no problem.

Samoa is right on the beach. Just don't get confused and land on the parallel dragstrip - R/C airplane runway. Also no fence, no security.

Murray is by far the best. Fenced with a security gate, FBO, fuel, and a gorgeous straight-in approach to three-zero if the wind and traffic permit. It's still about 2 miles from Eureka, but closer than any other alternative.

Also be aware of KFOT for an alternate if Humboldt bay is fogged in.

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with airports in the area? Anywhere to recommend for walking to lunch?
Thanks!

Depending how big an area you mean, Shelter Cove 0Q5 might qualify and has some nice places within walking distance. However it is about 45 nm south of Eureka.

Thanks guys. We go to Shelter Cove a couple times a year. Just thought it might be fun to wander further north. But it looks, on Google Maps, like the 2 airports in Eureka are out in the boons and need a cab to get to restaurants. If it's worth that extra cost we may try that anyway.

I have flown into ACV. They have rental cars right on the field (you just walk to the main terminal). I don't recall a restaurant nearby, but there might have been. None of the other fields have rental cars. This is the only one. I flew in to visit my nephew and run a race up in Humboldt, so I wanted to fly into FOT, but there is no way to get a rental car at FOT (I called all of the rental car places). There are restaurants about a mile walk from FOT, though. ACV is, I believe, the third foggiest spot in the world, so getting in and out can be dicey.

Last time I was headed that direction I ended up in Crescent City, as they had an ILS, which I flew to minimums to get in. Left IFR too. That said, this is the time of year to fly to that region.

Crescent City, BTW has nothing within walking distance.

Thanks guys. We go to Shelter Cove a couple times a year. Just thought it might be fun to wander further north. But it looks, on Google Maps, like the 2 airports in Eureka are out in the boons and need a cab to get to restaurants. If it's worth that extra cost we may try that anyway.

I think you have to go all the way up to Gold Beach, Oregon (4S1) to find an airport with food and shopping places on or within easy walking distance of the airport. It may be similar to Shelter Cove - but I've only overflown it, though, so can't provide any personal account. What area are you flying from?

I flew into ACV back in August and I had to use the ILS to get in there. There is a restaurant in the terminal building.

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention (normal for me), just focused on getting the car and meeting my nephew in Eureka. We ate in town. Not much to see in and around the airport. I would still recommend getting a car and driving somewhere. I was there in June, I think, and got real lucky with the weather. I believe the cars were pretty cheap and would probably be worth it.

Edit: It is about 1/2 an hour to the redwoods and I think there are some nice beaches nearby.

Golds Beach is awesome. Several restaraunts very close. Day trip salmon fishing is excellent and pretty affordable. Jots resort is walking distance and right on the Rogue River. Jet boat trips up the Rouge river that are unforgettable.
Go for it!

We go up from the Sacramento Valley. Oregon is too far for lunch. And we aren't comfortable flying the coast where an emergency leaves no options along that piece of coastline. :no:
Even Shelter Cove is kinda scary considering there is absolutely nowhere to set down if necessary, no straight roads longer than 100', little if any beaches, just rocks and trees for miles. :hairraise:
Even though it is really beautiful....
Funny, never worried about these things when young!
Looks like it's cab time in Eureka and that works, thanks again.

Last edited:

The Old Town section of Eureka has some beautiful victorians that are worth seeing. I would say that it is worth the cost of ground transportation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_Eureka

Back