ethernet switch

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
I need to get a couple of 8 port or better portable, small ethernet switches for meetings and traning sessions. Anybody have any favorites, brands to avoid? There are alot out there. US Robotics, NetGear, LinkSys, Startech, Allied and the list goes on.

Thanks

I'm perfectly happy with my various netgear switches. A small 4-port at work and a few 8 and 16 port switches at home have been fine. I can't say that get maximum throughput from them but they appear to be working fine (knock on wood)

After having one too many 3com switches die on us too soon, I replaced them all with Netgear GS724T's. No problems yet. Also have some Allied's in another location that apart from the fan noise have been running forever. Life's too short to use LinkSys or Startech.

I need to get a couple of 8 port or better portable, small ethernet switches for meetings and traning sessions. Anybody have any favorites, brands to avoid? There are alot out there. US Robotics, NetGear, LinkSys, Startech, Allied and the list goes on.

Thanks

I've used Netgear switches for years with excellent results. Nothing wrong with used ones in good condition - and they are cheap on eBay.

Dave

You might want to consider a Cisco 3750G-48TS. They are a little pricey but work very nicely :). The PoA server is connected to the 3750G-48TS.

In all seriousness--for what you're doing--I wouldn't hesitate to buy any major brand.

NetGear FTW.

In my experience they are the most simple and have the least bloat, thus working the best.

what are they?

Little (or big) boxes that let you hook several network devices to a single connection. At home I have two printer and two computer connected to a switch.

Wireless isn't fast enough for GIS work/training. Plus we (Feds) have too many security restrictions for hotspots.

NetGear FTW.

In my experience they are the most simple and have the least bloat, thus working the best.

In my experience NetGear is cheap and sometimes unreliable...and was one of the first to jump to NetGear when Wellfleet OEMed them and brough them to the US.. Now look up what Wellfleet was.

I think I have exactly wireless/router that is toast, though. :rolleyes:

You might want to consider a Cisco 3750G-48TS. They are a little pricey but work very nicely :). The PoA server is connected to the 3750G-48TS.

In all seriousness--for what you're doing--I wouldn't hesitate to buy any major brand.

Sure Jesse, a 48 port managed rack-mounted switch for $10,000. I'll buy two for my wiring cabinet for redundancy. :D

I wonder if I could pick up one of my old $250,000 Catalyst 5000 switches, but those could only do 100mb.

Got Cisco in the wire closets distribution and the main fiber backbone to an OC3. :smile:

Yeah, tech specs aren't too important. Reliablility - government purchasing is a pain so I want it to last. And function -noise etc. are mainly what I'm looking for.

Eric,

I'm going to pull the trigger on this D-Link gigabit switch:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127082

Read the reviews. It looks good.

Thanks Mike!!:thumbsup: You just save me sorting stuff out. Looks like exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably go with it too although for more money. Government doesn't do rebates and I might have to use a GSA source. Cheapest I could find was $65. I'll let the purchasing agent worry about that Monday.

I'll buy two for my wiring cabinet for redundancy. :D
Great idea. Just hook them together with stack-wise and then create 802.3ad port-channels for your devices and hook them all up to both switches. It works quite well.

Great idea. Just hook them together with stack-wise and then create 802.3ad port-channels for your devices and hook them all up to both switches. It works quite well.

You cannot possibly know stuff like this, Jesse- you're not nearly educated enough. :D

Back