Ethanol tester

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
In case anyone needs an ethanol tester for the trip to Airventure you can pick one up at Walmart for $2.00 it is called a rain gauge. perfect size glass tube and marked.

Dan

In case anyone needs an ethanol tester for the trip to Airventure you can pick one up at Walmart for $2.00 it is called a rain gauge. perfect size glass tube and marked.

Dan

Depending on the plastic, it might be dissolved by gasoline and/or alcohol <g>.

Edit: Oops. Missed the "glass" tube part.

Last edited:

Dan

That's what I use too, it's an easy way to test and it is fool proof. And they're glass so there's no need to worry about the fuel eating plastic...just don't drop them.

Fill w/water to 1", then gas to 4". Shake it up. Then let the water settle out of the gas (this only takes 10 to 15 seconds) If the gasoline has 10% ethanol (which is the typical blend) then the water will settle out 1.3" because the ethanol goes into the water. If no ethanol then the water settles back in at 1". Works every time. I carry one in each vehicle, have one at the hangar, and one in the plane...I think I'm covered!

Attachments

• rain gage.jpg
    rain gage.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Back