Ethanol-Free Gas Locations

Fly unleaded missed KEIK completely. Unless they've given up on it. I haven't called recently. Did catch KLMO.

Pure-gas covers the two Metro area gas stations one of which is the race fuel place. No KEIK or KLMO.

The Gas Club site looks like a Multilevel Marketing scheme and provides zero useful information.

Rich's site, same as pure-gas.

u5u9e4yz.jpg

My vehicle doesn't require premium gas, but I was filling up with 93 which is the only ethanol free gas where I live. My mpg dropped by like 10%?? Is it really that much better for a car engine to use non ethanol gas?

My vehicle doesn't require premium gas, but I was filling up with 93 which is the only ethanol free gas where I live. My mpg dropped by like 10%?? Is it really that much better for a car engine to use non ethanol gas?

Depends on how you drive.

Alcohol has fewer BTUs than gasoline. A lower BTU rating means less power per volume. Your car's computer adjusts for that, but to get the same speed you need to burn more fuel.

I've experienced the opposite - In my car, 10% ethanol results in a 10% decrease in gas mileage.

The ethanol-free stuff I like to burn is 91 octane and when I have to buy with ethanol it's 87, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Pure-gas.org also has an iOS app.

I've experienced the opposite - In my car, 10% ethanol results in a 10% decrease in gas mileage.

The ethanol-free stuff I like to burn is 91 octane and when I have to buy with ethanol it's 87, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Pure-gas.org also has an iOS app.

I get slightly higher fuel mileage when I use 91-octane ethanol-laced gasoline, but about a 10 percent increase when I use ethanol-free 91-octane gas, when I can get it. But if I move up to 93 octane ethanol-free, there's no improvement over 91 octane ethanol-free.

If mixing 10 percent ethanol reduces mileage by 10 percent, then it seems to me that the ethanol basically takes up space, while providing little or no energy. So what good is it, and why does Big Brother insist that we use it, except for the obvious reason of the Iowa Caucus?

I also experience an immediate 10 percent reduction in gas mileage the day the "winter blend" fuel starts flowing. I'm not sure what's different about the "winter blend," but whatever it is certainly kills my mileage.

I should mention that the car I'm using as a reference has a non-functional fuel gauge, so I use the trip odometer instead. Because of that, I'm very much aware of the car's MPG. I just look at the odometer and divide it by how much fuel I just pumped, and there you have it. With ethanol-free fuel, I get about 25-26 MPG. With ethanol-laced summer blend, I get about 22-23. With ethanol-laced winter blend, about 20 - 21.

-Rich

Conspiracy theory is that winter blend was created to keep profits even as people drive less in winter forcing less mpg on them means the same amount of gas is sold.

I did some more testing this summer. My much touted "flex fuel" engine drops from an average of 17 MPG to 12 MPG in mostly 55 MPH two-lane road driving when it's fed E85. That stuff is truly useless.

Fuel economy with E-85 will take a big hit. E-10 should be just a few percent.

Weather and driving patterns make bigger changes than 10% ethanol will. I see about a 15% difference between winter and summer based on a regression of fuel economy as a function of the average monthly temperatures in my 2004 Ford Focus.

Attachments

• FocusMileage.jpg
    FocusMileage.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3
I did some more testing this summer. My much touted "flex fuel" engine drops from an average of 17 MPG to 12 MPG in mostly 55 MPH two-lane road driving when it's fed E85. That stuff is truly useless.

I have found the opposite in my car - running E85 gives approximately the same gas mileage as running gasoline does, but at about 60 cents less per gallon.

I have found the opposite in my car - running E85 gives approximately the same gas mileage as running gasoline does, but at about 60 cents less per gallon.
That's pretty ******* amazing given the difference in heating values and the difference in the stoichiometric air / fuel ratios. You may wish to check the repeatability of your measurement system.

Back