Et Tu Pilot

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Just found out that my FBO ditched their courtsey car? Why? Well lack of courtesey of course. Seems the FBO owner was putting in $50 worth of gas in the old Gold Oldsmobile every week or two. It was a rare day that anyone who borrowed the car ever put any gas in it.

I mean whats this about? I never used a courtsey car without pumping at least a few gallons into the tank. In the event it was a real rural FBO and no gas station around I'd throw some cash on the counter at line service. I thought Pilots were a breed apart. I guess were just like everyone else.

Then I find out that the line guys now offer to drive folks to local watering holes for a bit to eat as the cabs here in the burbs take forever to get here. The line guy tells me that it is rare that anyone even offers them a few bucks, especially the corp pilots on expense accounts. These line guys are using their OWN car to do this. They tell me the older and more beat up the plane the more likely the pilot is to offer them something. Today a guy ( pax not a pilot) walks of a sikorski helicopter and asks when the cab will be here. The line guy called them when they requested on Unicom. Line guy says 20-40 minutes. They wait and no cab. Guy calls cab co and asks where cab is they tell him 30 more minutes. He freaks on the line guy tells him its his fault and he has to drive the guy to his destination. I mean what the hell is it with people? ( Line guy said no of course)

The only time I didn't put gas in a courtesy car was when I went 3 miles with it, and it was on full when I got it. But I'm with you, folks are there HELPING us, a little appreciation wouldn't kill a person. Sheesh.

Of course, people are weird. Once, when I was working security at the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago, a guy got to the counter and found his reservation was screwed up ... he walked into the middle of the lobby and started SCREAMING. :eek: I'd have told him to see a psychiatrist, but he WAS one. sheesh.

More of what's wrong with America.

me mE ME!

Sigh.

I too have always put more gas into a courtesy car than I could possibly have used, and wonder why others would not do the same, or at least cough up a few bucks.

Adam, I wonder whether the FBO could have considered making a car available for a small fee, such as $5 for an hour or two. The convenience of having a car available at a small field cannot be overstated. Even if the FBO is willing to drop off or pick up, it's still a bit of delay.

Jon

I always put gas in, except once when it was already full and I drove it about 2 miles. It's just common courtesy.

Judy

I have always made a point of putting gas in any crew car I have used and making sure the line guys are taken care of. They do something for me, I do something for them! Whether its leaving any unused catering or a cash tip, they are not left unrecognized for their assistance!

And if they happen to go above and beyond, then that recognition is commensurate!

I would never dream of asking for any special service without expecting to compensate appropriately for it!

On the other hand, there have been times when I knew the person I did a service for, and when they tried to compensate me for it, I politely refused. The offer was appreciated, but not necessary.

I too have always put more gas into a courtesy car than I could possibly have used, and wonder why others would not do the same, or at least cough up a few bucks.

Adam, I wonder whether the FBO could have considered making a car available for a small fee, such as $5 for an hour or two. The convenience of having a car available at a small field cannot be overstated. Even if the FBO is willing to drop off or pick up, it's still a bit of delay.

Jon

I've wondered that myself but I'm thinking that there is something about "loaning" a car versus "Renting" a car that would result in a dramatic increase in insurance.

Could they not call it a "gas fee". Use of the car is free, but we require a $5 fee for the use of the gas. :)

Tell me about!

I worked on the line at an FBO at a Class C airport from fall of last year until summer this year. We serviced everything from small GA planes to 737s. In a typical evening shift, we'd service 5+ corporate/charter jets, some turboprops, and probably 10+ small GA planes. Most of us would go out of our way to take good care of our customers. It was standard practice to tow planes down from the hangers, before the pilots arrived if we we knew they were coming, so they could just walk out onto the line from the FBO. We'd fuel the planes and put them away so they could leave. We met and parked planes if we knew or could see that they were coming our way. We had the fuel truck running and ready if someone requested a quick-turn. We helped with luggage, opened doors, and gave people rides to their hangars. We'd fuel people's planes at their hangers if requested. We rolled out a red carpet if we were aware there were paying passengers on-board (pilots like that). We'd lend courtesy cars or drive customers to their destination in them. We'd let customers park their cars in our lot and give them rides over to the airline terminals if they had a flight.

If we still had time after all of that, we'd wash the bugs off of the planes with water and a sponge and clean the windshields--whether it was a Learjet or a two-seat Cessna. If a storm was coming and we had room, we'd put the planes in our hangars.

All of this available 24 hours--with a smile.

In the time that I worked there--a few months of which was icy and dangerously cold--I received four, maybe five, tips. At most, only one tip was more than the cost of a gallon of Avgas.

I loved my job, loved being on the flightline, and loved the opportunity to service planes so I didn't mind too much. I'd still be working there but my goal is to fly them, and I wasn't making enough money to put me closer to that goal.

I didn't mind not getting tips, but it's surprising to me that someone can spend so much money to fly and not give a few bucks to the people taking good care of their airplanes.

I only got ****ed once. It was around 15F and there was a 15-20kt wind blowing 6" of snow from the night before across the field. One of our charter jets was coming in. We were waiting there to park the jet right up front, roll out the red carpet, and carry luggage. The passenger that hired the jet stepped out of the plane, pulled two one hundred dollar bills out of his wallet, gave one to each pilot, and walked past us line guys without even a "thank you".... maybe he didn't have any small bills.

Last edited:
Back