Estimates from those that have done already

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
I would like some approximations of some upgrading to an Aztec that could use a little sprucing up. I realize that there are an almost limitless circumstances that would change the amounts, but I am only looking for round about figures for a preliminary cost analysis. Closer figures would be obtained from someone in that actual field, fear not.

1. Paint on exterior. No fancy paint scheme, just cover the metal and make it look like it is somewhat cared for.
2. Remove ADF and VFR GPS and replace with Garmin 430 approach certifeid.
3. Rewire intercom for four place instead of two place.
4. Replace front windscreen.

Bryon
PS Ed and others at S37, don't go blabbling to the others about what I am asking about.

Paint on a six seat twin, nicely done-$8500 at Oxford, Maine.
Garmin 430 installed, in my neck of the woods, $6000 with the test flight certification extra.
4 place upgrade- about $500. Lots of panel removing and snaking.
The Windscreen. Wow. If it's stock for stock it the part price plus maybe six hours' work. In my old mooney it was a 201 STC with lotsa sheet metal work and was over $1,000 just for labor.

Have you been reading Bob Gerace's posts?

Thanks Bruce. Quick reply. I had read his posts over at the "other" board and was really disheartened at his experiences. Thank goodness it is up and running again, or isn't it?

Bryon

bbchien said:
Paint on a six seat twin, nicely done-$8500 at Oxford, Maine.

Call to confirm. Approximately 3 years ago Oxford Aviation quoted roughly that price for a Mooney paint job.

Garmin 430 installed, in my neck of the woods, $6000 with the test flight certification extra.

Bruce, do you have a shop name/number? At that price I'd be willing to fly my Mooney to your neighborhood. Around here Garmin 430 install quotes are ~$10k.

4 place upgrade- about $500. Lots of panel removing and snaking.

That may depend. If the existing "2-place" is a Sigtronics SPA-400 that someone simply didn't extend to the rear seats then it may be as simple as snaking shielded leads down the two sidewalls and installing jacks in the rear seat arm wells. It took me less than 2 hours to do the same in my Mooney.

Ed Guthrie said:
Call to confirm. Approximately 3 years ago Oxford Aviation quoted roughly that price for a Mooney paint job.
Mine was done there is 1996. That is some time, come to think of it.
Bruce, do you have a shop name/number? At that price I'd be willing to fly my Mooney to your neighborhood. Around here Garmin 430 install quotes are ~$10k.
Greg York, at Flying Machine Co, Fredericksburg,TX. If you have put down a big deposit and sent a pic of the panel, he will wire up the harness before you get there, and the install will be overnight.
That may depend. If the existing "2-place" is a Sigtronics SPA-400 that someone simply didn't extend to the rear seats then it may be as simple as snaking shielded leads down the two sidewalls and installing jacks in the rear seat arm wells. It took me less than 2 hours to do the same in my Mooney.
Could be. Go to a reputable installer. Mine holed my autopilot harness euring the extension from 4 to 6 place, and made good on it. New harness after he tried to patch it (Bloomington Avionics).

bbchien said:
Greg York, at Flying Machine Co, Fredericksburg,TX. If you have put down a big deposit and sent a pic of the panel, he will wire up the harness before you get there, and the install will be overnight.

Go to a reputable installer. Mine holed my autopilot harness euring the extension from 4 to 6 place, and made good on it. New harness after he tried to patch it (Bloomington Avionics).

Pippen-York at Fredericksburg did well for me. They replaced the old Stormscope with a WX-900, put in GPSS, replaced the transponder with Mode S and did some other stuff (straightened out an install that another avionics shop screwed up) at the same time. I thought the price was fair.

If you do end up coming down here, let me know. You'll be close to San Antonio - less than a 30 minute flight. And now that the Hangar Hotel is on-field at T82, there is a nice place to stay at Fredericksburg.

The hard part is finding a reputable installer. Can't stress that enough.

wsuffa said:
The hard part is finding a reputable installer. Can't stress that enough.

Come East, to New Hampshire. Craig, at CRAIG AVIONICS, is tops in the New England area.

HR

Aztec Driver said:
1. Paint on exterior. No fancy paint scheme, just cover the metal and make it look like it is somewhat cared for.

I think you're probably looking at around $12K for a good strip and basic paint on a light twin. Don't skimp on the prep - it costs a lot of money, but that is the part that keeps the new paint on the plane!

What condition are the fairings and other exterior trim/wingtips in? We ended up spending about $2K on replacing a lot of exterior fiberglass and plastic that had been stop-drilled too many times to be worth painting. Just something to consider.

Jeff

Back