Estimated time en route. Not sure what I did wrong.

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I have been doing a ton of these and been getting them correct. I went on a pilot practice test site and this was one I got wrong. Its showing the correct answer as if I did the wind in the opposite of what I entered into the E6B computer.

(Refer to figure 24.) What is the estimated time en route for a flight from Allendale County Airport (area 1) to Claxton-Evans County Airport (area 2)? The wind is from 100° at 18 knots and the true airspeed is 115 knots. Add 2 minutes for climb-out.

Your answer:
C) 27 minutes.

The correct answer was:
A) 30 minutes.

------- MY Data used -------​

I concluded a true heading of 210 deg + 5 deg W.
wind from 100 deg. at 18kts.
TAS 115kts
Calculated GS: 121.4
Distance of 51 Nautical Miles
Time en-route: 25:12 + 2 min climb = 27 Minutes.

Well, for one thing, my Foreflight says the distance is 57nm, not 51. An extra 6nm at that speed would be about 3 minutes more. You might want to remeasure and try again. Other than that, your computations seem correct.

This is one thing I hate about these images. I try my best to get them to scale with my plotter ruler. I am supposed to use Nautical miles correct?

Dont think they would allow me to bring the ipad and foreflight into the test, so that wont help me :(

This is one thing I hate about these images. I try my best to get them to scale with my plotter ruler. I am supposed to use Nautical miles correct?
Correct. If you have a problem with scaling for your plotter, bring a pair of dividers, and use that to measure the distance. Even if there's no distance scale visible, each minute of latitude is 1 nm.

Dont think they would allow me to bring the ipad and foreflight into the test, so that wont help me :(
Correct again, but I can't see them refusing to allow a pair of dividers in the room unless they're afraid you'll stab them with it if you fail.

Yes it is.

Not all the answers on Exams4Pilots are correct. Read some of the comments, and you will see people in agreement. This is not a high percentage of it. Like Ron said, also check your measurements and such. I would be doing things right, and then realize I overlooked or did something I know wrong.

I had a question on my written that was on exams4pilots that I got wrong on Exams4Pilots. Used my answer on the Written, and got the question correct.

Are you using the scale at the top of the graphic?

Not all the answers on Exams4Pilots are correct. Read some of the comments, and you will see people in agreement. This is not a high percentage of it. Like Ron said, also check your measurements and such. I would be doing things right, and then realize I overlooked or did something I know wrong.

I had a question on my written that was on exams4pilots that I got wrong on Exams4Pilots. Used my answer on the Written, and got the question correct.

Well, thats encouraging. :mad2:

I guess i'll stick with the sportys test I have been using.

Correct. If you have a problem with scaling for your plotter, bring a pair of dividers, and use that to measure the distance. Even if there's no distance scale visible, each minute of latitude is 1 nm.

Correct again, but I can't see them refusing to allow a pair of dividers in the room unless they're afraid you'll stab them with it if you fail.

Whats a divider? You say stab, i'm not sure I understand. :dunno:

I obviously measured the distance incorrectly. Hopefully this isn't an issue on test day.

Well, thats encouraging. :mad2:

I guess i'll stick with the sportys test I have been using.

Do not get me wrong. Exams4Pilots is definitely very helpful. You will find areas that you need to work on. And, if they are wrong it really gets you thinking and proving your understanding of why you are right and they are wrong. Don't just use the comments. Check with your instructor as well.
Good luck in all your training. Between the PHAK, the FAR/AIM, Gleim Private Pilot, and PoA helped me do very well on the Written.

Ah.. One of them pointy circle makers. :) I'll pick one up. good idea. thanks.

MattCanFly, I'll play around some more with it. I guess one mistake out of 100 cant screw me over any more than I already am.

Thanks for that link David. I'll check into mywrittenexam.com

Just be careful what you do with those dividers. One of the senior B/N's in my A-6 squadron had come out of RA-5C's, which had like a tray table for the NFO in the back to use for charts and such. When he went through the training squadron at NAS Albany GA, he got in the habit of laying out all his tools on the table before takeoff. Worked just fine ashore, but when he did that on his first cat shot at the boat, the dividers went zing past his right ear and stuck in the headrest. :eek: After that, he secured everything for the shot.

Just be careful what you do with those dividers. One of the senior B/N's in my A-6 squadron had come out of RA-5C's, which had like a tray table for the NFO in the back to use for charts and such. When he went through the training squadron at NAS Albany GA, he got in the habit of laying out all his tools on the table before takeoff. Worked just fine ashore, but when he did that on his first cat shot at the boat, the dividers went zing past his right ear and stuck in the headrest. :eek: After that, he secured everything for the shot.

I was giving a check ride in the back of the Bone, the Nav taking the check had his dividers out before low level. He was setting up his chart for low level and tucked the dividers into his Nav kit hanging on a hook by his head. I watched him through the entry and penetration to low level, he used the dividers to check distances on the radar and match to the chart.

I directed, put those in their case, put the case in your Nav bucket and close the lid. The Nav bucket was a case built into the station beside the ejection seat to hold your pubs bag.

If you need to measure, use you fingers.

I use mine for flight planing, I hardly ever took them out inflight.

Last edited:
I was giving a check ride in the back of the Bone, the Nav taking the check had his dividers out before low level. He was setting up his chart for low level and tucked the dividers into his Nav kit hanging on a hook by his head. I watched him through the entry and penetration to low level, he used the dividers to check distances on the radar and match to the chart.

I directed, put those in their case, put the case in your Nav bucket and close the lid. The Nav bucket was a case built into the station beside the ejection seat to hold your pubs bag.
Ain't seen a B-1 shot off the boat yet. What was the big concern?

And if you can't have dividers, remember you can take a plain piece of paper, mark the minutes of latitude as shown on the graphic (often a physical book of graphs) on the paper edge, and use that as a plotter.

I'm teaching an intro to aviation at a local middle-school, and the kids thought that was a great idea. I did it because I wasn't about to buy 30 plotters.

I had my (ex Navy) dad's dividers and parallel rulers when I was a child. Mostly we used the parallel rulers to simulate movie clappers. My father confessed that despite going through the navigation course he didn't remember what to do with them.

On nautical charts you use the parallel rulers to displace the course line over to a compass rose to get the heading (unlike using a plotter on aviation charts). The dividers are used to move the length from the course line over to the map scale.

You'll note that sectional charts (real once not the exam) also have scale lines for various longitudes on the chart. Aviation charts are conformal so the scale varies quite a bit from top to bottom (at the benefit of keeping the angles pretty reasonably aligned).

I lost them as a kid however, when I was taking my cardiac arrhythmia class when I got my paramedic certification, I had to buy another pair (we use them to measure the intervals between subsequent waveforms, there are some differentiation between evenly spaced p-waves that get an occasional missed beat and a progressively lengthening noe).
2nd degree AV block yada yada... .not that I remember much of that either.

Last edited:
I obviously measured the distance incorrectly. Hopefully this isn't an issue on test day.
But now you know for this question the correct answer. :) I had the same issue and I remembered I always measured that one wrong so I selected the correct answer. (Not endorsing memorizing the question/answers)

Ain't seen a B-1 shot off the boat yet. What was the big concern?

Bouncing in turbulence. Imagine them in your hand on the desk when you get slammed by turbulence and your head goes down on the point.

I've also seen items fly off the desk, float and travel aft to behind the seat just from maneuver, turbulence and G loading.

.....You'll note that sectional charts (real once not the exam) also have scale lines for various longitudes on the chart. Aviation charts are conformal so the scale varies quite a bit from top to bottom (at the benefit of keeping the angles pretty reasonably . ....

On any most chart, the latitude lines, running north /south, the tick marks are 1nm. 1 arc minute of latitude is 1nm. Use the dividers to span the distance, place the dividers to the latitude line and read the distance.

One degree of latitude is 60 minutes.
Each whole degree change in latitude is 60nm.

Without looking at the question, sometimes a bit such as "add three minutes for climb out" is included in the question. Make sure you read them fully before attempting to answer the question. (Not saying that was the case in this instance).

Back