Estimate this auto collision repair

Can you slap some crap chinese cosmetic parts on this and call it good? Sure, happens in some ghetto chop shop everyday. However, if it was my vehicle you can bet every part would say Ford on it. Perhaps you can get a bumper support and mounts from someone like Mike and save some money. However, the bumper covers are never worth the time to strip and repaint IMO. Better to just buy a new one and be done with it. The bigger cost driving issue is the unibody alignment, which the pictures don't show.

Rear bumper reinforcement bar for an Escape like this is about $85 from me (low demand part). Absorber, $40. The remaining errata you need, we'd have to see what it is, and make a fair deal for it.

FYI; many bumper rebars are aluminum. So if I haven't sold the front or rear bumper when it's time to crush the vehicle, I'll nab the cover (which is what is asked for more often) and put that into the part storage rack, then scavenge the aluminum rebar for "clean aluminum" scrap.

So, Paddles, if you're going to replace your rebar, and it's aluminum, don't let the shop keep it and don't throw it away... it's a $15-25 bill right there.

Nobody here knows what they are talking about, a little rubbing compound and some elbow grease will buff that right out.

Hard to believe his bags didn't go off with that kind of impact....:confused:

Huh?

That's not a hard impact at all. His car was probably still driveable. Didn't even break the radiator, and he was obviously able to open the doors.

There is some risk to setting off explosives in your face, so you don't fire the airbag unless you NEED it.

I'm guessing 2K+. Might have to go on the frame machine to be pulled. Hopefully your rear floor doesn't need to be replaced. If you see any buckles in the quarter panels than that will add on to the bill. Any little scratches or dents on the quarters, tailgate, and lights that were not there will also be added to the bill.

The other vehicle was operable but not drivable. The fan was all screwed up and the radiator had enough of a leak to smell (not visible). I had him shut off his AC / defroster so the fan would stop trying to turn while we moved the vehicles to the opposite shoulder. He was towed. I was on my merry way to dinner.

Hard to believe his bags didn't go off with that kind of impact....:confused:
Bags go off due to exceeding a preset limit for rate of deceleration. Crumple zones reduce the rate of deceleration by design.

Bags go off due to exceeding a preset limit for rate of deceleration. Crumple zones reduce the rate of deceleration by design.

Latest gen are a lot more complex. I've been out of the industry for a long time, but they now have slew sensors for angular momentum, and there's a calculus that also adds speed to the deployment decision. Frex; If you were to hit an immovable brick wall at ~8MPH the bags won't go off. If you hit an medium size Elk or large deer at 75-80MPH they might. Some cars mainly by Merc and BWM also know if the ABS is activated in a panic stop and will tighten the belts and pre-load the suspension to lower the whole car. It's darn complicated some in modern cars(not this minivan though).

Latest gen are a lot more complex. I've been out of the industry for a long time, but they now have slew sensors for angular momentum, and there's a calculus that also adds speed to the deployment decision. Frex; If you were to hit an immovable brick wall at ~8MPH the bags won't go off. If you hit an medium size Elk or large deer at 75-80MPH they might. Some cars mainly by Merc and BWM also know if the ABS is activated in a panic stop and will tighten the belts and pre-load the suspension to lower the whole car. It's darn complicated some in modern cars(not this minivan though).
You are absolutely correct. My intent was to simplify the algorithm for brevity sake. The SRS engineer sits within rubber band shooting range from my chair :)

You are absolutely correct. My intent was to simplify the algorithm for brevity sake. The SRS engineer sits within rubber band shooting range from my chair :)

Oh that poor bas...

I mean - hey! That's cool. :D

Back