Established in the hold

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Judging by the title of this thread it's not what you think. It's not when established in the hold, it's when I'm expecting to be cleared for the approach I am then given a hold. (Yep, twice, okay, three times if you count the time I requested a hold) Now I'm established in the hold--a good time to rebrief the app, yes?--so then when cleared for the app I have to reestablish--reconfigure, reboot, etc--for the approach.

I have noticed it's a head game for me to expect the app, get the hold, get back on the app. It's like, huh?, where wuz I? Leaving the hold for the app is especially troublesome for me. Once, it was on a feeder and I was outbound when the high pitched stressed sounding controller cleared me. For a short time I had to fight the urge to finish the lap before turning--I guess I was expecting a longer hold and wasn't mentally ready. Granted, it's a rare occassion, I may never again have to hold but since I'm thinking of holds I thought I'd put this out for any/all responses.

Is there a hold / approach in question? Most of the holds I have been given for practice all were fairly easy to transition into an approach. By easy I mean that one of the 2 Navs were already tuned in or the inbound leg of the approach provided a good intercept to the final. Just flip flop the frequencies, ID the navaid, and twist the OBS.

Richard said:
Once, it was on a feeder and I was outbound when the high pitched stressed sounding controller cleared me. For a short time I had to fight the urge to finish the lap before turning--I guess I was expecting a longer hold and wasn't mentally ready.
Normally if I was outbound I would finish the outbound leg before turning to give myself more room, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Also, if you're really not ready you can ask for another turn in the hold.

No, no specific app/hold and I certainly can request another lap in order to give myself time to prepare to depart the hold and then rejoin the app. Just mouthing, I guess. This recent talk about holds has reminded me of that certain time 'tween leaving the hold and rejoining the app--it's at that time I feel I'm lagging, even after giving myself the mental pep talk to get with it.

Like in any flying the pilot has to be mentally prepared to change gears. Sometimes it's a rythmic thing, sometimes it's erratic. Still, one has to be primed and at the ready. I've realized the situation I described is a time when I feel least ready.

Richard Now I'm established in the hold--a good time to rebrief the app said:
This is one of the factors that was thought to contribute to the accident at Martinsville, VA last year in which 10 members of the Hendrick racing team were killed.

Yes, DO take the time to get your thoughts in order, and maintain situational awareness.

Wells

Back