Esophoria and corrective lenses

A

Anonyplus

Hello all,

I'm a glider pilot considering whether or not I would be able to obtain a 1st or 2nd class medical without tremendous struggle. I had surgery as a young child to correct strabismus due to my hyperopia. My vision is 20/20 corrected.

I visited my ophthalmologist and went through the list of items on 8500-7. With corrective lenses on, I have like 1pd esophoria. Without glasses, I have 6-8 pd esophoria.

I understand the AME will test me with a Maddox rod test, but is this done with or without my glasses? Also, I've heard horror stories about people with deferred medicals, but it appears in this case that you are issued a medical but required to get the 8500-7...this is different (better) than a deferred medical?

Thank you for your help!

NOT for 3rd class.
For 2nd and First if you show >6 diopters of phoria you will get a demand letter for an ophthalmological evaluation of fusion break measured in arc-seconds. Not a show stopper.

Take the Maddox rod test with your glasses on and there will be no problem. If you can't, the ophthalmologist can fill out the form that you just saw. Would not mention any of this to the AME beforehand since there is a good chance it would just prolong the issue of the certificate.

OK, so that was specifically my question...will the AME let me take the Maddox rod test with glasses on? My ophthalmologist and I reviewed the Guide to AMEs and it didn't make that clear.

Thanks!

If you are beyond limits on the Maddux rod (2nd and 1st classes), you'll be issued but will need to fairly quickly see an ophthalmologist for a formal assessment of "fusion break" in arc-seconds. But you will have a certificate. AS I am perplexed by the notion of commercial certificates for operators of gliders- I'm thinking why do this for any other than third class, where the maddux rod isn't mandatory?

If your corrective lenses have an obvious strabismus correction, for upper class you will have the strabismus measured without your lenses. You can pass acuity with your lenses on, however.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back