Ercoupe: SC to OK

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
I have an opportunity to get some free hours, if I choose to accept it. There is a guy here in OK who is buying an Ercoupe located in SC. His wife is having health problems, and can't be left alone overnight. He has offered to fly someone out to SC commercially, and fly the 'Coupe back to OK. I'd absolutely love some free hours, but I can't imagine a worse airplane to do a 1000 mile cross-country in, and I'd have to do it alone, since I'm a fat guy. Any of y'all ever flown a trip like that in an Ercoupe or something that slow and small? I can't believe I'd even think twice about free flying, but that seems like a long lonesome haul.

I'm thinking it'll be 10+ hours flight time. 4 or so fuel stops.

I have an opportunity to get some free hours, if I choose to accept it. There is a guy here in OK who is buying an Ercoupe located in SC. His wife is having health problems, and can't be left alone overnight. He has offered to fly someone out to SC commercially, and fly the 'Coupe back to OK. I'd absolutely love some free hours, but I can't imagine a worse airplane to do a 1000 mile cross-country in, and I'd have to do it alone, since I'm a fat guy. Any of y'all ever flown a trip like that in an Ercoupe or something that slow and small? I can't believe I'd even think twice about free flying, but that seems like a long lonesome haul.

I'd do it. I've done similar ferry stuff before.

Ryan

How about a J3 from Texas to New York? Don't think of it as a task, think of it as there would be 1,000 people like me who would love to have the time to do what you could. Break the trip up into smaller bite sized legs (since you brought up the fat guy comment -- I was one too! ;) ) and enjoy the legs.

Give him my contact info if be glad to do it! :yes:

That cockpit makes for great views. Go for it man why not?

Never flown an Ercoupe, but I've done San Diego to Mineral Wells, TX solo in a 170 (95 KTAS cruise). That is around 1000 nm. I enjoyed the hell out of it (well, until my mag failed while in MVFR and I had to divert), but then I love to fly.

Big questions are - has he flown it yet? What do you know about the airplane? Have you ever flown an Ercoupe before?

What's the cruise speed of the plane? 10 hrs and 4 fuel stops? I'd plan on making it a two day trip with at least an extra day or two fudge factor to account for potential weather and maintenance delays.

Ercoupe + big guy isn't going to be a lot of fun.

Has the center section been carefully inspected for rot?

Does it have rudders(it doesn't really matter, they fly the same)?

A local guy ferried Coupes for a couple years. His stories and pictures were sobering at best, especially for newly-purchased airplanes. I'd be very nervous about such an engagement without a recent inspection (other than a
"fresh annual with sale") and thorough shake-down test flight, although it could be fun if the airplane is sound and the weather is good.
Never flown an Ercoupe, but I've done San Diego to Mineral Wells, TX solo in a 170 (95 KTAS cruise). That is around 1000 nm. I enjoyed the hell out of it (well, until my mag failed while in MVFR and I had to divert), but then I love to fly.

Big questions are - has he flown it yet? What do you know about the airplane? Have you ever flown an Ercoupe before?

What's the cruise speed of the plane? 10 hrs and 4 fuel stops? I'd plan on making it a two day trip with at least an extra day or two fudge factor to account for potential weather and maintenance delays.

A local guy ferried Coupes for a couple years. His stories and pictures were sobering at best, especially for newly-purchased airplanes. I'd be very nervous about such an engagement without a recent inspection (other than a
"fresh annual with sale") and thorough shake-down test flight, although it could be fun if the airplane is sound and the weather is good.
I agree completely...I wouldn't dismiss the idea, but would want a lot more info on the airplane before committing to the task.

As of right now, I don't have any details on the plane. I plan to gather a little more info on it before I say yea or nay.

We have a rental ercoupe on the local field, but I have never flown it. I could easily get a little time in it before I go, but I hear they are easy as pie to fly. That one might do 100 mph with no wind and one in the cockpit. I would count on a headwind the whole trip back.

It sounds like fun, but I've never flown a trip of that duration, so I thought I'd ask around. As I said before, it's not like me to ponder very long when it comes to free flying, but a long solo trip in a little 40's vintage 85 hp plane seems worthy of a little bit of thought. If it sounds like it's in good shape, I might just do it. Sounds like an adventure!

They won't stall but they will mush and sink faster than you might anticipate. An hour of dual would be worthwhile. Corrosion of the center section has been a problem, several have shed wings in flight.:yikes:

As of right now, I don't have any details on the plane. I plan to gather a little more info on it before I say yea or nay.

We have a rental ercoupe on the local field, but I have never flown it. I could easily get a little time in it before I go, but I hear they are easy as pie to fly. That one might do 100 mph with no wind and one in the cockpit. I would count on a headwind the whole trip back.

It sounds like fun, but I've never flown a trip of that duration, so I thought I'd ask around. As I said before, it's not like me to ponder very long when it comes to free flying, but a long solo trip in a little 40's vintage 85 hp plane seems worthy of a little bit of thought. If it sounds like it's in good shape, I might just do it. Sounds like an adventure!

Assuming airworthy, consider it adventure. A low, slow tour of part of the U.S. Back in law school I flew my Cherokee 140 from ND out east visiting family and friends along the way. It was a blast.

This thread has me remembering a blog I read about this guy who bought a Republic Seabee in 'flying' condition and his ferry half way across the US. It started out only using 1 quart per 3 hours or something and when he stopped a few hours later it was up to 3 quarts per hour. Plus, he lost some parts along the way. It was quite funny in an 'oh shyte' kind of way.

I was looking at amphibs at the time, and after reading this blog I cross the Seabee off my list.

Just be willing to fly home in an airliner if it doesn't appear safe. I nearly did that once.

Ryan

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Even though I have never done anything like this, this would be a lot of fun.

I would look at repair logs, if this bird has been in the shop for work, myself I would not leave the pattern for a few hrs flight.

There are a lot of NTSB reports of such events. A plane comes out of the shop. Pilot loads himself and loved ones in it. Takes off and bad things start to happen not long after departing.

I am sure you know all this, but just wanted to mention this, for so many other pilots do this whom one would think knows better.

I would be going over those log books really good, just as you would the airplane.

My 2 cents...whatever that is worth.....

Fly Smart

A couple years ago we had an airplane from Jacksonville IL. that was flown to a shop in the chicago area for engine work.

The owner of the airplane kept calling to see when his plane would be done. The shop was having some sort of problem with the engine and they could not fix whatever problem they where having.

I believe this was a 172 but do not hold me to this.

The owner receives a phone call from the shop...The plane is done..

Owner is very happy. The owner has a 17 year old son whom is taking leasons. This owner decides this is a great time for his son to build some time.

He gets his son a ticket out of springfield to chicago, where he meets up with another man whom is going to be PIC of this flight.

They go and pick up the airplane and head out.

Not long after takeoff they loose the engine. We all know this is a very congested area and on the way down, I have no idea what happened but they slamed into a building.

The 17 year old died, I do not think the PIC was killed.

I believe this happened in 2010. But there are a lot more stories just like this, so be very carefull and look over those log books very carefully.

If you do this, take lots of pics and video and post for all of us to drool over.

Last edited:
Good advice folks. 'Preciate it.

It seems I had my facts mixed up. The plane is here, and needs to be flown to SC. My bad. Of course, that doesn't change much other than direction of flight, but I will feel much better about it, since I will be able to check the plane out before I ever go anywhere. In fact, I can pick it up and fly it over to the mechanic about a 15 minute flight away and have him give it a once over also. I can get a little dual in the actual plane without having to rent. Winds should also be more favorable during the trip.

Shure would be a good opportunity to take lots of pics for all you bums.

Last edited:
Good news for sure....

You better take those pics. From the time you take flight for the dual to the time you land at your destination.

We will be looking forward to seeing these.

Better yet, get somebody else to fly it to the mechanic. Our deal on the current rebuild is that they will deliver it to us. Only 26 miles, but somebody else will get the opportunity to fly it first.

Good advice folks. 'Preciate it.

It seems I had my facts mixed up. The plane is here, and needs to be flown to SC. My bad. Of course, that doesn't change much other than direction of flight, but I will feel much better about it, since I will be able to check the plane out before I ever go anywhere. In fact, I can pick it up and fly it over to the mechanic about a 15 minute flight away and have him give it a once over also. I can get a little dual in the actual plane without having to rent. Winds should also be more favorable during the trip.

Shure would be a good opportunity to take lots of pics for all you bums.

Better yet, get somebody else to fly it to the mechanic. Our deal on the current rebuild is that they will deliver it to us. Only 26 miles, but somebody else will get the opportunity to fly it first.

I did a recovery of a Bonanza in a field a while back. It ran out of gas. I was gonna fly it out of the field, but the FSDO wouldn't give a ferry. After I was taking the wings off, I checked around in the cowl and found a rather large nut sitting in the lower spaces of the engine bay. Hmmmmm? what's this then? I start looking around carefully and notice one of the nuts is off the cylinder base for the #3 jug. Then, I reach up inside the air deflector and ALL the lower nuts on the jug are loose.

the guy who ran it out of fuel and landed in a field prolly saved himself from a catastrophic engine failure with the jug leaving the case shortly after. Looks like the FSDO might have done me a solid refusing the ferry.

Anytime you fly a plane the first time do a double/triple check. Like the idea of someone knowing the plane checking it out, talk to the mechanic who did the prebuy.

I have ferried two airplanes from one coast to the other for forum friends free of charge and they both were extraordinary events in my life. I loved doing it and would do it again in a heart beat. Both of my trips were 2200 nm but they were in 150 knot aircraft so 15-17 hrs.

I assume either you and/or the plane are vfr so do not plan on flying directly, and do not plan on getting more than 4-5 hrs on any day. There are always rows of storms coming through TX moving to east coast.. Get as far East as you can get the first afternoon. spend the night, then get up early and get as far east as you can the 2nd day and possibly a 3rd day if needed. Hell if you can get him to wait another week, go to Sun N Fun April 9th on your way to South Carolina....Adds another 700 miles but what the heck.

You can find airports directly on your route that might allow you to sleep in the pilots lounge to save some money if that is an issue. I know Dothan, AL allows this as does many south eastern small airports.

Sounds like it will be a fun trip. Be safe.

Make sure you either pay for the gas yourself and don't accept any reimbursement of your expenses (including that air fare) unless you have a Commercial or ATP, since otherwise you're providing pilot services for hire/compensation.

Or at least don't mention this in public.

Back