Eraser-head Mouse

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rubber tip for an old Compaq laptop eraser-head mouse? The old one has deteriorated to a delightful gooeyness..... yuk!

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Sort of. I think that is the whole mouse mechanism, not just the rubber tip, which is all I need.

If that part is just the rubber tip, Whew! $16 for a smidge of rubber... it might as well be an aviation part!

That looks like just the rubber tip, not the hardware below it.
I bet that same part from compaq is $80 or more if they can get you the replacement at all.

Aviation has nothing on compaq. When the battery pack on my laptop died, it took 5 hours of phone calls to them, then denying them my credit card # until I find out how much. After much begging for a number it was $490 + $50 shipping + shipping insurance for the cheap short life nicad pack. Lithium was $700ish. I can gut this one for charging limiting parts and build several replacements for way less than that.

fgcason said:
That looks like just the rubber tip, not the hardware below it.
I bet that same part from compaq is $80 or more if they can get you the replacement at all.

I just bought a replacement keyboard for mine when the trackpoint mouse died. An eBay parter had one for $25.

Aviation has nothing on compaq. When the battery pack on my laptop died, it took 5 hours of phone calls to them, then denying them my credit card # until I find out how much. After much begging for a number it was $490 + $50 shipping + shipping insurance for the cheap short life nicad pack. Lithium was $700ish. I can gut this one for charging limiting parts and build several replacements for way less than that.

Frank, NEVER go for OEM parts for things like batteries. There are several good places that will make new battery packs. The trick is that the cells have to matched, so you won't have good luck if you solder together new ones. There was one guy who was highly recommended. I can find him if you need.

Replacement laptop batteries are a rip, anyway. You'll be in the $150-$200 range, which for me is still nuts since my laptops are only worth $600-$700 at most. I have some antique laptops that are worth only the value the metals inside.

If you try eBay for batteries you're gonna be disappointed. You are mostly going to get somebody else's dead battery pack or a solder and sell job.

mikea said:
I just bought a replacement keyboard for mine when the trackpoint mouse died. An eBay parter had one for $25.

I just installed the keyboard from the eBay seller. It was in good shape.

I was a little apprehensive in unplugging the old one. I had no assurance the problem I had with the "mouse" being uncontrollable and dropping to the edges of the screen was a hardware problem. Using an external mouse and disabling having more than one mouse in the BIOS setup worked.

The keyboard and mouse connect with tiny PC-board-like ribbon cables ending in solder tinned wires. I had never unplugged or reconnected that type. I had a hard time even seeing the connectors. I held my breath, managed to push the ends back carefully, reassembled and...IT WORKS. Ahhhhhh. :yes:

fgcason said:
That looks like just the rubber tip, not the hardware below it..
You were right! For a paltry $15 plus fedex shipping I now have a spiffy new mouse head and a lighter wallet....

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
You were right! For a paltry $15 plus fedex shipping I now have a spiffy new mouse head and a lighter wallet....

-Skip

Now I couldda sent you my old keyboard. The tip was still there and OK.

I only paid $25 for the whole keyboard + trackpoint. :redface:

Oh..... Computers.... OK....

I thought someone finally identifyed that "thing" that was born in the movie "Eraserhead" I didn't think it looked like a mouse :)

Chicken dinner anyone?

Back