ER Visit

A

Anon

I am an ATP with a first class medical. Yesterday I took a spill on my bicycle and went to the ER to get checked out. While I was there I called my insurance company and realized that the visit was going to cost a ton out of pocket so I signed an "Against Medical Advice" form and left. I have a follow up appointment with my regular physician tomorrow just to cover my bases. My question is what is the FAA going to see next time I apply for a medical cert? Are they going to ask ask me why I went or are they going to get the records from the ER? The visit was mostly for the road rash that I suffered from the spill but I also bumped my helmet on the ground. If it does turn out to be a concussion, what does the FAA require you do in that case? I'm about to be furloughed from a major airline and don't want this to interfere with a Part 91 jet job that I will be starting soon. Thank you very much for your time!

The FAA will see what you put on the medexpress application. The first issue is that the spill is not caused by anything of concern (alcohol/drug use, cardiac, neurological, or some other unexplained loss of consciousness). The second is that you adequately recovered from whatever injuries you sustained. My old AME dealt with such reports I had (running injuries, cuts requiring stitches, breaking my foot, etc...) as "You got better, right?"

Get healthy first, worry about the FAA second.

Be sure to replace the helmet! It may look fine but it took impact. Off topic I know but wanted to be sure it's out there.

I am an ATP with a first class medical. Yesterday I took a spill on my bicycle and went to the ER to get checked out. While I was there I called my insurance company and realized that the visit was going to cost a ton out of pocket so I signed an "Against Medical Advice" form and left. I have a follow up appointment with my regular physician tomorrow just to cover my bases. My question is what is the FAA going to see next time I apply for a medical cert? Are they going to ask ask me why I went or are they going to get the records from the ER? The visit was mostly for the road rash that I suffered from the spill but I also bumped my helmet on the ground. If it does turn out to be a concussion, what does the FAA require you do in that case? I'm about to be furloughed from a major airline and don't want this to interfere with a Part 91 jet job that I will be starting soon. Thank you very much for your time!

Why do you think you have a concussion? Concussions have symptoms, but people with concussions sometimes aren’t aware. There are things you should not do with a concussion like mental stimulation, and flying is certainly one thing you should not do if you have a concussion. Can affect attention, memory, alertness, judgement....

Concussions have symptoms, but people with concussions sometimes aren’t aware.
Medically, a patient can't have a symptom that he is unaware of. The word "symptom" refers to the perception of the patient.

So being unconscious cannot be a symptom?
Being unconscious isn't exactly a symptom of concussion, but if OP had been knocked unconscious by the trauma it would indicate that the severity of the trauma was such that it might make the diagnosis of concussion more likely.

Great input and advice. Went to my GP doc and he said I'm all good. And yes, the helmet has been replaced. Thanks everybody!

Went to my GP doc and he said I'm all good.
Ya might want to get your doctor to pen a simple narrative about the visit and declaring you "all good". Then file it with the other important documents you want to keep for a long while.

Maybe you never need it when visiting an AME for a medical renewal. But *if* AMCD comes a snooping, you already have the bit of paper they might be asking for.

Something as simple as
On July ___, 2020, Anon visited my practice requesting an examination after taking a spill on his bicycle. His description of the incident was _____________.

At his request, I performed the following examinations: _________________________

As a result of these examinations my findings were: ___________________________.

At the time of the exam, I did not find any _____(list of possible bad things)______. No medications were needed or proscribed. I am not following him for any adverse conditions. No additional follow up visits are needed.

Signed, Dr. Hackenbush, DVM

upload_2020-7-30_21-2-49.jpeg

Hackinabush is a horse doctor. Get your tootsie frootsie ice cream.

Ya might want to get your doctor to pen a simple narrative about the visit and declaring you "all good". Then file it with the other important documents you want to keep for a long while.

Maybe you never need it when visiting an AME for a medical renewal. But *if* AMCD comes a snooping, you already have the bit of paper they might be asking for.

Something as simple as
On July ___, 2020, Anon visited my practice requesting an examination after taking a spill on his bicycle. His description of the incident was _____________.

At his request, I performed the following examinations: _________________________

As a result of these examinations my findings were: ___________________________.

At the time of the exam, I did not find any _____(list of possible bad things)______. No medications were needed or proscribed. I am not following him for any adverse conditions. No additional follow up visits are needed.

Signed, Dr. Hackenbush, DVM

View attachment 88420
Medications were neither prescribed nor proscribed.

Great input and advice. Went to my GP doc and he said I'm all good. And yes, the helmet has been replaced. Thanks everybody!

Still list as 'visit to a healthcare provider'.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back