ER Visit with no finding of anything wrong

A

Anonymous79

So I'm going to post this anonymously for the obvious reasons. So I have a terrible history of cardiac issues in my family and for a few nights I woke up in the middle of the night with what felt like an irregular heartbeat. Essentially it went from 60 or so BPM to 95 BPM and then slowly came back down. Well after this happened a few nights in a row I decided an ER visit would be in order just to get checked, because of said history and it would take forever to get into my PCP and if I had called them they would've told me to go to the ER anyway.

So after checking in I was given an EKG, completely normal, given a chest x-ray, completely normal, gave blood and everything was you guessed it, completely normal. The problem I'm facing is I currently am on a 3rd class medical with a SI for sleep apnea and there is no explanation for the issue I was facing and I don't know how to proceed with this. I mean I wasn't diagnosed with anything and on a side note my mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and I've been pretty stressed out about that too. My SI expires March 31st and I had planned on just going Basic Med. On the Basic Med paperwork it asks for medical visits and this is now one of them but again I have no diagnosis of a cardiac issue. Can the doctor still complete the basic med paperwork if he is comfortable with it or do I need to now report this to the FAA and go through the process all over again even though I wasn't diagnosed with a new condition and I just got checked out for my own peace of mind?

Get the ER record (the Dr.'s dictation and labs). How they dictated this is CRITICAL.

FAA's view is "symptomatic palpitations" requiring the ER, and they are likely to deman a cardiologist, 24 hour rhythm recording, and echo.

Let's just hope this doesn't shake out as "anxiety disorder, symptomatic".

Last edited:
Get the ER record (the Dr.'s di
ctation and labs). How they dictated this is CRITICAL.

FAA's view is "symptomatic palpitations" requiring the ER, and they are likely to deman a cardiologist, 24 hour rhythm recording, and echo.

And who do I give this to? If my primary doctor goes ahead and orders an Echo and Holter and everything is normal? The hospital is in network with my Primary doctor's office so all the records should be easily accessible by him so I'm not worried about that part.

Get the ER record (the Dr.'s di
ctation and labs). How they dictated this is CRITICAL.

When I spoke to the ER doctor I basically just told him about the family history and that I was just trying to be on top of things because of that so hopefully it won't be labeled as anything to do with an anxiety disorder.

It's all about what he wrote.

So if his report says nothing about anxiety and my doctor refers me to a cardiologist and i have a holter monitor and echo and they are both clear then do I just send that to the FAA with a letter stating I had this episode etc..etc. I'm just confused because I'm 2 months from my SI expiring but my medical would be good until 2024 with a new SI and I am not sure who i'm supposed to be sending what to etc..

ISTM that this isn’t in the list of mandatory SI for BasicMed. Looks like you should be able to go straight to BasicMed if your doctor thinks so.

ISTM that this isn’t in the list of mandatory SI for BasicMed. Looks like you should be able to go straight to BasicMed if your doctor thinks so.

That's what I was wondering can't he just let the SI expire and go basic. According to the link from the FAA says below the OP was not diagnosed of any of that. Many people go to the ER after eating spicy food and end up with heart burn think it's a heart attack ER visit finds nothing. Why would the OP even have to go look at doctors notes they told him he was fine there was no cardiac issue unless the OP wanted to renew the medical cert and SI then I agree he would need the notes. If he wants to go basic not sure why would do that. I would just get a list of doctors from the AOPA in you area who do basic medicals go see them. If they ask about the visit to the ER explain it to them if they don't ask why tell them.

• A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back