Epic

moonshine

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Max
Highlight of my flying to date. Flight itself was in and around the weather (snapshot shows big ol' TS where it was at 7:30, I was driving around it, not quite through it. Not through the thick of it anyways), but while TSs were cute, the Epic thing happened just abeam lake Okeechobee - we're solid IMC and the gray outside turns yellow and then, I kid you not, liquid gold. I said to my wife that this does not even look natural or real (later she said that she was worried that it was turning the tornado green outside for a moment) and next moment we punched out and there it was - sun low to the horizon and the most intense golden light I have ever seen. It felt like everything turned that color of gold, clouds, us, the airplane. My better half snapped a few pics, but they don't do it justice (not her fault, you know what I mean about the sky and the clouds and photos). I'll post them later when I get to a computer or something... But for now, just wanted to say that out loud, that was the most Epic thing I have ever seen flying. Flying the valleys of Hawaii was most Epic before today - so figure how unbelievable it looked. If I was a religious man (which I'm not) I'd be saying things about the beauty of God and such. Beauty of Nature if I was a tree-huggun' hippie, but I'm not one either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 66
It is true the sunsets of Florida can be awe inspiring. The thunderstorms, just another day flying during the summer in Florida. About a month ago was getting a weather brief from Lockheed-Martin when the briefer told me about a PIREP concerning a tornado touch down just south of my intended route. Needless to say I waited an hour or two and the weather in good old Florida form went from thunderstorm central, to scatter rainshowers, and by the time I landed was clear.

Hey, I said I'll fix that. But don't expect too much, that's only pictures after all :)

Hey, I said I'll fix that. But don't expect too much, that's only pictures after all :)

I realize that. Just ribbing. I did a quick web image search for 'golden sky' and 'golden clouds' and there are some interesting shots posted around the web. Would indeed be epic to see some of those views from a small plane.

Nice write-up, sometimes actually better than a photo that will never do the scene justice.

There are more expansive views of atmospheric and surface color aloft, some I'll surely never forget, even without photos.

Alright, the pictures.

First one is from an iPhone, showing the overall tint and how overpowering the light was. Rest are taken by a normal camera throughout the remainder of the flight

Attachments

• sIMG_2490.jpg
    sIMG_2490.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 59
  • sDSC_0290.jpg
    sDSC_0290.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 60
  • sDSC_0319.jpg
    sDSC_0319.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 60
  • sDSC_0342.jpg
    sDSC_0342.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 60
  • sDSC_0346.jpg
    sDSC_0346.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 55
Alright, the pictures.

First one is from an iPhone, showing the overall tint and how overpowering the light was. Rest are taken by a normal camera throughout the remainder of the flight

Very cool!

Back