Epic Victory

correct answer: same or smaller than a P-Baron ;)

Exactamundo! Actually, I'm torn between staying the same size and moving up to a cabin class, but the expense goes up quite a bit to have size and speed; so, give a choice between the two, I'll stay with a P-Baron that's faster :yes:

Best,

Dave

Ken:

What are the external dimensions? Wingspan etc. Actually, I don't care for the full fuel payload; I'd rather have the flexibility to carry more fuel and less payload which is not an option here.

Best,

Dave
wingspan 36.3 ft, length 33.4 ft, height 10.7 ft.

U-build is about $900K, certified, about 1.3. There is one customer who has already started building his. The fuselage halves are together already.

The only thing that comes to mind is a 55 gal. drum of Testers glue...:)

The only thing that comes to mind is a 55 gal. drum of Testers glue...:)

...and a big, honkin' rubber band to hold it together while it dries...

They list 1200 nm range (with reserves) at econ cruise of 250 knots with full fuel of 900 lbs. Full fuel gives you cabin payload of 1,900 lbs. Max cruise is 320 knots. I saw fuel burn of 60 gph at 235 knots true, but we were low, 12,500 feet. So basically it performs like a TBM 850, carries 250 lbs more, has a bigger cabin, and costs 1/3rd as much.

These figures are all with the Williams FJ-33-4 engine, but they'll be swapping to the Pratt 615 for the experimental version and 617 for the certified version. More thrust, so probably a little more top end and a little better low-throttle power response.

Ken,

So, $1.3M for a single-engine turbojet, 250kt econ cruise, 1200nm NBAA IFR, 1900 pounds in the cabin.

What are the overhaul costs/times for the 617? While I'm not in the market for a plane of this stature, I'm impressed by the financials of it all. Heck, $1.3M is only $200k more than a brand new P-Baron, and the buyer gets more speed (if they want), higher cruise (out of the nasties), and cheaper operating costs (subject to the TBO/HSI costs on the 617)...

The plane looks real pretty, too. I'm actually surprised, I find most of the single-engine jets pretty disgusting when I see them, but this one looks pretty nice.

Cheers,

-Andrew

My bad. I transposed two facts. 900 pounds in the cabin with 1900 pounds of fuel.
Ahhhh. I knew it was too good to be true :mad:

Still, if those are the final figures, it might be a pretty nice option. Now I just need to find 3 partners.....

-Felix

My bad. I transposed two facts. 900 pounds in the cabin with 1900 pounds of fuel.

It seemed a bit too good to be true, but even still, 1000 pounds in the cabin for $1.3M while hauling around 1800 pounds of fuel... probably cuts your NBAA down to 1000 or so miles. Downside is you can't put more gas in the tanks for long-legged single-pilot, but, 1000nm in 4 hours with 1000 pounds of people and stuff is pretty nice for $1.3M.

Are they certifying for icing, Ken?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Heck, $1.3M is only $200k more than a brand new P-Baron, and the buyer gets more speed (if they want), higher cruise (out of the nasties), and cheaper operating costs (subject to the TBO/HSI costs on the 617)...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hey Andrew! They don't make a P-Baron any more; they do make a normally aspirated 58 Baron. Nice plane, but not pressurized, not K-ice and several other things different than the pressurized Baron. My best guess is if they did make a P-Baron today, it would be more than the price Epic is quoting for this jet; maybe 1.5 or 1.6MM would be my guess.

Nice to hear from you.

Best,

Dave

Best thing is, maybe by the time Dave buys his, he'll need another partner, I'll maybe be doing a little better.... hmmm...

Back