Entry-Level A&P Mechanic

PilotNas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotNas
Hi :goofy:

I had a question, Since you my know, not only am I a Pilot but I am a Licensed A&P Mechanic with No Experience.:no:

I wanted to know if anyone Knows of Shops that HIRE Entry Level Mechanics?

I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area....

Thanks
PilotNas

How do you think we all got our experience?

I started out in a shop servicing a flight school,

Still there.

What Duncan said.

You gotta begin getting experience somewhere.

Yes, there are shops that will hire you.

So what does it take to get certified to be an A&P mechanic? Is there an online course someone who is very mechanically skilled with automotive stuff (rebuilding engines/transmisions, restoring vehicles, etc)? Or do you have to go to school for such certifications?

So what does it take to get certified to be an A&P mechanic? Is there an online course someone who is very mechanically skilled with automotive stuff (rebuilding engines/transmisions, restoring vehicles, etc)? Or do you have to go to school for such certifications?

I took a 2year course at a City College. After that you need to Take a Oral and Practical Test with a Certified FAA examiner. Most Airlines or small shops require a License.

You can got to school or get it based on experience. The latter is how I got mine. Finding someone willing to pay you while you're in training is the catch.
18 months for each certificate or 30 months of working on both airframe and powerplant.

I took a 2year course at a City College. After that you need to Take a Oral and Practical Test with a Certified FAA examiner. Most Airlines or small shops require a License.
My local FBO has one A&P IA who runs the FBO. His shop does LOTS of MU2 maintenance along with "regular" FBO maintenance. Up until a couple of months ago he was the ONLY A&P on site. He has a crew of 5 or so mechanics. One is an ex-UAW machinist from Michigan. The others are locals. One is an A&P school grad who worked there for YEARS before he finally got his A&P.

Find a local shop and ask.

Jim

I started out as a mechanic's helper in a small two man general aviation shop at a podunk airport in the middle of nowhere. I eventually got hired by a big airline back in '89. I won't name it but it's the biggest airline at SFO so you know who I'm talking about. They hire in cycles and all of us got hired back around '87 to '93. I kid you not we are all about to retire en-mass.

So I think that within the next year or so they are going to start hiring off the street for the first time in about 10 or 15 years.

You may have timed it right. I'd put in an application if I were you.

If you truly only know what you passed on the exam you need to work with an experienced mechanic before you go stripping threads, putting the wrong brake fluid in, etc..

If you have some mechanical experience/ability then start offering to do oil changes, cleaning plugs, installing tires, stop drilling minor skin cracks, minor repairs, etc. for plane owners - things that do not require inspection authority to sign off.
Be smart and keep a low profile to avoid a dust up at the local airports - i.e. work inside the tee hangar, no sign on your vehicle, and so on.

5 yrs in the military will do it.

No it won't. Your NEC/MOS might get you the general, and maybe the A or the P not both.

I occasionally worked in the engine and sheet metal shops, I took AMT/Welding courses after hours, and volunteered to work for my lunch at the local airport to learn from owner/A&P. In addition to serving my country, getting 75%+ college paid for, buying all A&P tools, we paid for two vehicles and saved $40K for a down pmt on our first home. 5 yrs was a great start. You are correct, no a 67T MOS and partying alone would not be sufficient.

There is one exception to that..

The Coast Guard Aviation mechanic school, it covers both parts of the requirements.

Go Coasties

Back