Entrepreneurial Failures and questions for the crowd

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Entrepreneurial questions for the crowd

I'm beginning to put together my business plans, with the intent of going to work for myself full time on NYE 2018.

While I'm sure that I can grow a small business into a medium or medium-large business, I'm curious about the dynamics of starting from scratch.

My questions are:
1) Given a good, peer-reviewed business plan, at least half a shoestring budget, dedication, and moderate competence... has anyone ever experienced or witnessed an unrecoverable failure? IE, beyond "business failure" into broken former biz owner.

2) For successful biz owners, what were your greatest lessons learned from the early days?

3) Student Loans (aka the unremovable millstone). Has anybody had success vacating these in BK or deferring payments? Big concern is that my first $ goes to food, then biz, then creditors.

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited:
Re: Entrepreneurial questions for the crowd

I'm beginning to put together my business plans, with the intent of going to work for myself full time on NYE 2018.

While I'm sure that I can grow a small business into a medium or medium-large business, I'm curious about the dynamics of starting from scratch.

My questions are:
1) Given a good, peer-reviewed business plan, at least half a shoestring budget, dedication, and moderate competence... has anyone ever experienced or witnessed an unrecoverable failure? IE, beyond "business failure" into broken former biz owner.

Since most businesses fail due to lack of capital you are well on your way to failure if you identify this shortfall as one of the first identifiable issues.

2) For successful biz owners, what were your greatest lessons learned from the early days?

You need to have a real prick for a boss.
Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell, and advertise.

3) Student Loans (aka the unremovable millstone). Has anybody had success vacating these in BK or deferring payments? Big concern is that my first $ goes to food, then biz, then creditors.

Take on a part time jobs between now and 2018 and pay them off. Working 2 - 3 jobs will give you an idea of what you will be doing for the next 15 years or more.

No, student loans cannot be discharged in BK.

Thanks for your insight!

You need to work for a company that does similar work for experience. Know accounting inside and out. Don't do your own taxes.

Good luck. It is the best decision you will ever make. :yes:

You need to work for a company that does similar work for experience. Know accounting inside and out. Don't do your own taxes.

Good luck. It is the best decision you will ever make. :yes:

You nailed it!

There are, in some cities, classes and accelerator programs for entrepreneurs. Especially for tech. I have mentored some startups. Suggest you look for books by Steve Blank for starters.

Can't stress accounting enough. If you are going into this alone (no other financial support, not raising money from investors) save up enough personal cash to live off of for a year.

Incorporate the business, keep the business accounts completely separate and follow the business plan. Learn accounting (not hard, find a 101 class at a community school or something). If you do this, and the business fails you will just have a "business failure" and not a "broken former business owner"

I can share a lot more but I don't know anything else about your business model. I was employee #2 (and have some equity) in a start up 5 years ago, we now employ 15. It's tough and believe me the hours/pay/vacation don't match working for a larger company. But our business model may be very different from yours, we are developing new medical device technology.

Last edited:
What Geico said. Many small businesses fail because of inadequate capitalization (I.e. They have enough money to start th business but not to run in the red for a while). Having that student loan debt along will be like having the sword of Damocles hanging over you.

Capitalization, plan for it in your business plan and double the number you come up with. Doing it on a shoestring is near impossible, especially if you are buying inventory or dealing with vendors. Undercapitalization is a large reason for businesses that fail. Also, pay your bills according to the terms you agreed. Many businesses attempt to stretch payments to 90 or 120 days, bad move. We used to charge what we called ahole fees, inflating prices to cover the cost of capital for the late payers we knew wouldn't default. The late payers we were concerned about would end up being cod or the really bad ones would have to pay in advance.

Accounting, work from a budget, cost account products, figure and account for overhead. Close your books every month and confirm your cost accounting is correct, I'm amazed at the number of businesses that don't do this and wonder why they have no or negative cash flow.

Be very careful hiring employees, check references and act quickly if an employee is not working out, watch the bottom line.

Many startups fail, but as long as you pay attention to the money and are realistic you won't fail and if the business does fail, it won't drag you down.

There's some pretty good advice in this thread....

I'd re-enforce the idea that you need to keep the business books completely separate from your personal finances. It won't be possible entirely, as a start-up you'll have to make personal guarantees for leases, credit, banking etc. But you need to know if the company is making money. A lot of people crash when the company is a little profitable, but not enough to pay them enough for their personal lifestyle obligations.

Depending on where you live, SCORE is an SBA program that sometimes has some great mentors available, it may be worth a look.

Owning a business is pretty isolating, make sure you have a very close friend or mentor you can bounce ideas off. It can't be a family member or employee, too many entangling issues. Some decisions can be really hard and personal.

Stay healthy and make sure you have good personal disability insurance. More than a few businesses crash when the owner gets sick. Have a back-up. If you're in the hospital with a broken leg on payroll day, people don't get paid. It takes years to recover from that, if you ever do. You're a single point of failure in more ways than you can imagine.

Sweat the small stuff. Really. It matters a lot.

Finally, incorporate as soon as you are committed, even if you don't plan on revenue right away. If the firm is less than 2 years old, you'll have challenges with credit & similar things.

All that said, not having a boss really is as good as it's cracked up to be... :). It's an awesome way to make a living.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the advice. What I'm mostly concerned about is the prospect of a failing business breaking me: where the venture would not only fail, but leave me too mentally destroyed to go back to my previous career.

Has anybody seen that happen beyond the most starry-eyed dreamers?

1. Don't run out of cash
2. Chase receivables like a rabid dog
3. Hire an attorney, a banker and an accountant. Use them.
4. Don't run out of cash
5. Find three people you trust and are willing to be honest with you. Meet quarterly with this group to review your plan and goals. Listen to their criticism.
6. Ignore all the other naysayers.
7. Hire slowly and fire quickly.
8. Be the first to show up and the last to leave. Work as hard as you can every week and then another 10 hours.
9. Don't complain. Ever.
10. Don't run out of cash.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the advice. What I'm mostly concerned about is the prospect of a failing business breaking me: where the venture would not only fail, but leave me too mentally destroyed to go back to my previous career.

Yes, but those folks would have had breakdowns anyway at some point. If it wasn't the business, it would have been something else that slammed them to the mat.

In my opinion, starting a business requires a paradoxical blend of caution and recklessness. It requires both brains and balls. Luckily, you can buy brains. You can enlist the help of accountants, lawyers, and so forth to help you avoid pitfalls within their scopes of expertise. Balls, however, you either have or you don't.

Rich

Hey guys,

I never even considered that when I started my business. Maybe that you are concerned is a sign you should just work for someone else. Seriously, you are making a commitment to something that will consume most of your bandwidth. It's very tough when things are going down hill, but it is also very tough when things are going well. I had a small business, with over 60 employees when things were booming. During those times, when we reviewed the books, we started a little game, where we would guess how long we could keep the doors open were all orders to stop that day. In the worst times, near the beginning, it was maybe 3 weeks. But during the best times, it was maybe 2 months. Now we would never let it get to that point, but the exercise was always sobering and reminded us to keep our eye on the ball. My point is that it is a constant concern, the more successful you become the more work is required and generally you become responsible for many livelihoods beyond your own. If you don't think you are up to it when you begin, you probably are not, only you can answer that. Keep in mind though, the work is hard, but if you are successful the reward is great.

Oh, one more thing, the IRS and your state dor always get paid or you go to jail, don't forget that.

Hey guys,

Failure is not an option. Seriously, your ability to recover from a failure or a close call is dependent on your character. Only you can answer that.

Once things are running, cash FLOW and the control thereof is King.

In addition to the excellent suggestions here...

Is there room in the market for your business?
What makes your approach special?
Why should the current market/audience go with you instead of someone else?
How flexible are you to the changing market?
Do you recognize the changing market?

I've worked for very large, international companies, and they went under because they didn't recognize market changes. Accountant, lawyers, taxes - these are what I call "implementation issues". Every company needs them. But the concept is yours alone. Is it a good concept? Do you really believe in it? Will you defend it past reason?

Paul pretty much covered this, as did others.
Side notes for running your new business:

1 - Answer the phone and keep voice mail to a minimum.
2 - Return your voice mail calls promptly.
3 - A real business killer:
Don't promise things you know you can't or don't intend to do just to get business. Don't say you are going to do something (i will call you back tomorrow) and then not do it. In other words, dont lie to your customers.
4 - Pay your bills on time!! Pay early and you may can get discounts.
5 - Don't be surprised to learn commercial accounts for service cost 2,3 X as much as residential. Also, when you have a business, everybody you deal with takes a bite (state, fed, utilities, CC fees, etc) before you get paid. Others make a good living off your business. :yes:
6 - Customers can be a real PITA but always be fair. The golden rule applies here.

Good luck with it.

Capitalization, plan for it in your business plan and double the number you come up with. Doing it on a shoestring is near impossible, especially if you are buying inventory or dealing with vendors. Undercapitalization is a large reason for businesses that fail. Also, pay your bills according to the terms you agreed. Many businesses attempt to stretch payments to 90 or 120 days, bad move. We used to charge what we called ahole fees, inflating prices to cover the cost of capital for the late payers we knew wouldn't default. The late payers we were concerned about would end up being cod or the really bad ones would have to pay in advance.

Accounting, work from a budget, cost account products, figure and account for overhead. Close your books every month and confirm your cost accounting is correct, I'm amazed at the number of businesses that don't do this and wonder why they have no or negative cash flow.

Be very careful hiring employees, check references and act quickly if an employee is not working out, watch the bottom line.

Many startups fail, but as long as you pay attention to the money and are realistic you won't fail and if the business does fail, it won't drag you down.

Last edited:

http://www.wral.com/former-raleigh-political-candidate-sentenced-to-6-5-years-in-prison/12408841/

The only person I know who was truly broken by her business is in Jail now. Real estate, market crashed. Instead of declaring bankruptcy and being open with investors about the failure, she went all Bernie Madoff and started taking money from new investors while lying completely about the financials of the deal.

If you keep the business financials separate from your own and work from a solid business plan, you will be fine. Only your personality can determine if you are able to do these things and not get obsessive about it, or whatever causes people to "break down" etc. .

Last edited:
Hey guys,

It will change you. No question. You will learn new stuff & may well end up wanting a new career. At worst, it'll make you better at your current career.

Two thoughts:
1) Cash is king.
2) What's the worst thing that happens if the business doesn't work? You have to go find a job.

I've started/been part of starting several businesses. Only once, during the 2008 market crash, have I had to use thought #2 above.

Again, make the business customer-centric, remember that cash is king, and you'll have a much better chance of success.

Recommended books:

1) http://www.amazon.com/Four-Steps-Ep...F8&qid=1443020273&sr=8-1&keywords=steve+blank

2) http://www.amazon.com/Startup-Owner...F8&qid=1443020273&sr=8-3&keywords=steve+blank

3) http://www.amazon.com/Holding-Cat-T...F8&qid=1443020273&sr=8-6&keywords=steve+blank

At least one of those is highly recommended (and practically required) reading at iCorps classes.

As Eggman listed, plus one more: Don't expect to make money the first year.

Also, Don't run out of cash.

Starting with "at least half a shoestring budget" is the first step to failure.

Also, don't run out of cash.

However, it can be done. Look into government grants specific to starting a business.

Thanks for the input everybody.

This thread has calmed my nerves a lot regarding the worst case scenario planning.

As for those saying "don't run out of cash"- I'd like to have it properly capitalized, but I'm also preparing "lean capital" and "KMA day" plans.

Surprised no one mentioned it.... customer acquisition should be your primary concern. You can have all the systems in place, a fantastic product or service at an incredible price... But if you don't have a game plan to acquire customers then you've failed before you've even started.

Surprised no one mentioned it.... customer acquisition should be your primary concern. You can have all the systems in place, a fantastic product or service at an incredible price... But if you don't have a game plan to acquire customers then you've failed before you've even started.

+1000. I've been involved in a few new companies, and seen both sides of the success coin. The quality of the opportunity you are pursuing is by far the most important factor in your potential success. If the market you're going after is expanding and there aren't any dominant competitors, your chances of success are much, much greater than if you're trying to elbow your way into a mature and competitive market. If you're doing business services, do you have a launch customer (or customers), or do you have good industry connections? If you are doing a consumer oriented business, do you have channels available to market yourself? If the answer is no, find a job.

Unrecoverable? That might be one of the misconceptions right there. Even being dead broke and in debt to your eyeballs is "recoverable".

Most successful business owners I know have been broke multiple times. Their skill and attitude is that being broke doesn't matter, it just means the most recent business tactics were flawed and maybe they changed course too late.

What I have seen... Once... is tens of millions ****ed away and creditors taking over the Board and making sure they got the absolute best cash value out of a losing investment, than they possibly could have gotten prior to the Board change from "grow" to "sell".

400+ people instantly out of work the month after they took over, and maintenance of the business only (no growth) until a suitable buyer could be found for both the remaining capital assets and meager human assets.

The balance sheet rules the world in business. The founders who were no longer the majority owners could do absolutely nothing to stop the massacre. They waited three years for the sale and got their very small share back and started over, literally in the same market and same business, with numerous changes to their plan.

(As of this time, they're watching that one being eaten alive by a technology shift they didn't pay attention to, and are probably adjusting for, too late. But I don't think they'll fail, they just have a significantly smaller growth potential going forward and need to focus on their niche VERY hard to hold on to customers. I'm currently a customer and frankly, I'm leaving. I can't cost justify their product over a much larger company's offering on the long-term timeline.)

Not one here, but having talked directly to the guys who had that business adventure above, their new rule forevermore was never to allow investors to hold a majority position on the Board of Directors of any of their businesses ever again.

No matter how bad they want to grow fast, they'd never let the dangling carrot of massive capital suck them into giving up ultimate control of their own company, ever again. Lower growth with a majority of their own capital and assets on the line and not an investment bank or venture capital firm's money, is all they'll now accept as a reasonable way to operate their businesses.

Scaling this down to where you're at, the equivalent position would be not to use too much leverage to get started. If your bank owns your business and you don't have control of it, it's doomed to a short sale of one sort or another, eventually. Or you'll be replaced by someone the bank feels can grow the thing at a rate far higher than you can. The creditors always do everything in their power to get their money back plus interest and more if they can swing it. Don't forget that. If its operating on leverage, you don't own it. They do. You're just the caretaker of their asset.

Thanks for your insight!

Nope. Not able to be vacated by bankruptcy. Interestingly one of the only debts vacated by death, however. Your estate simply tells the lender that you're dead and they have no claim.

I wouldn't put them in forebearance to start a business either, but that's a risk you'd have to calculate for yourself.

All that said...

If you want a taste of what it's like to run your own business, start by making a ("peer reviewed"... chuckle...) business plan to carry multiple jobs where you're an employee, and hammer away all of your debt in three or four years. Make your life the business.

It's all "equity in yourself", either way...

Lower expenses (perhaps drastically), give yourself a "layoff" pink slip from allowing yourself any free time at all, until the debt is gone, make the balance sheet positive, etc etc etc.

All just business, really. Your personal balance sheet and business plan.

Adding a real business just adds a large asset (if you build it properly) and likely a smaller , but very large liability, to your personal balance sheet.

Business is very intolerant of "intangibles" early in the lifespan of a budding business. Time is money at that stage. Time off, "bennies", all that stuff you may or may not have had at an employer, all now on your head as the business owner.

It's one of the reasons I'm currently (and planning on being) an employee for a while longer. My personal balance sheet is very light on liabilities and they're paying me to do stuff to increase the asset side, while also paying for things most folks don't count as assets on their personal balance sheets.

THEY certainly have to account for those payments however, such as their contribution to my medical insurance. It's not an insignificant number they're paying.

Most employees don't pay that number any heed in their personal calculations, and get bit by those types of things when they start their own business.

Only other thing I'd caution about -- is who you consider "peers" -- in that business plan review. I wouldn't be looking for a "peer", I'd be looking for a mentor well beyond the same stage of business than I was at.

Most successful business owners are quite generous with their time but don't appreciate it being wasted.

Hammer that plan flat and know down to the penny where every dang one of them is coming from and going to, before asking them to review it. You shouldn't even have to refer to it to answer questions about it. Be prepared to answer with hard numbers and dates and deadlines. Not wishy-washy "maybe in a year or two" types of answers.

And be cautious about "entrepreneur" seminars and such. The general comment on those is you're going to meet a lot more people at one of those wishing they knew what they were doing than successful people with no agenda other than to assist new business owners. And a lot of salesmen looking for their next sucker.

BUT... You do need to know the lingo. And there's a lot of it. Examples, depending on where you are at on the business knowledge curve might be something like:

- What does "EBITDA-positive" mean?
- What is a DUNS number and why might I need one?
- What does "cash-flow" mean, and how does it differ from "capital", "leverage", and "profit"?
- What types of Corporations exist and why is my business targeting incorporation as a particular type (or not)?

Etc etc etc. You do need to know how to talk the talk to communicate effectively with mentors or write that business plan.

That's all I've got. Wish you well. I truly believe there's a LOT of opportunity out there to be had, and that it takes a lot of hours and a lot of work to attain it, most of the time.

Make sure you really like knowing every single good and bad detail about things, and don't mind having a lot of things thrown at you that you simply won't have the answer for, but need to deal with them right NOW, or they'll drive you insane quickly. "Hey boss, we heard a big bang on the roof and it's 85F in here and getting warmer, "just to let you know".

You ready to toss finding a good HVAC company and coordinating getting them up on the roof to look at what went bang, into your already overworked day? Maybe the day before your largest customer is stopping by for a visit? :)

An hour later when they accidentally cut the phone line to the building fire alarm system required for building occupancy, are you going to cry, or find someone who knows how to fix it and get it back online before you start having to pay an off-duty firefighter overtime to stand in your building with a clipboard on "fire watch" duty at $90/hr 24/7?

"Hey, the power just went out and the generator failed to start. It says "low oil pressure" and the batteries die in 20 minutes. You want me to push the manual override and try to start the $2M generator anyway, boss?"

"Did you notice the huge water leak coming from the ceiling in the server room?"

Just examples of insanity I've seen.

Do you thrive on that kind of natural chaos or become drained by it? Out of all the successful business owners I know that's probably the most important question I can think to ask. They all thrive in chaos and don't G-LOC when it occurs. They shuffle the schedule, make decisions, and keep moving.

During those times, when we reviewed the books, we started a little game, where we would guess how long we could keep the doors open were all orders to stop that day. In the worst times, near the beginning, it was maybe 3 weeks. But during the best times, it was maybe 2 months.

This is true of a great many successful small businesses and really surprises new people to small business, often quite a bit.

They hear the "war" stories of a customer payment coming in on a Tuesday that makes patrol possible on Wednesday, but they really don't "get it" until they're the one waiting on the USPS or electronic transaction to drop and still having to produce something of useful output for the company while watching the screen to see if the customer paid the invoice.

The best way to remember what business is all about is the root of the word business. BUSY. Busy-ness.

If you don't like being busy all of the time, morning, noon, and late into the night, running a BUSY-ness is NOT for you.

I've had the luxury of working for some VERY open and honest bosses in my past (there's a hidden note in there about my present situation... And that's ok... But I know open from closed books, and the risk I'm taking personally working for someone with them so closed they haven't seen daylight in ten years...) and seen them sweat payroll deadlines.

It's a marvel to behold someone who can do that calmly. Really. It's a skill many simply do not have.

Unrecoverable? That might be one of the misconceptions right there. Even being dead broke and in debt to your eyeballs is "recoverable".

Most successful business owners I know have been broke multiple times. Their skill and attitude is that being broke doesn't matter, it just means the most recent business tactics were flawed and maybe they changed course too late.

What I have seen... Once... is tens of millions ****ed away and creditors taking over the Board and making sure they got the absolute best cash value out of a losing investment, than they possibly could have gotten prior to the Board change from "grow" to "sell".

400+ people instantly out of work the month after they took over, and maintenance of the business only (no growth) until a suitable buyer could be found for both the remaining capital assets and meager human assets.

The balance sheet rules the world in business. The founders who were no longer the majority owners could do absolutely nothing to stop the massacre. They waited three years for the sale and got their very small share back and started over, literally in the same market and same business, with numerous changes to their plan.

(As of this time, they're watching that one being eaten alive by a technology shift they didn't pay attention to, and are probably adjusting for, too late. But I don't think they'll fail, they just have a significantly smaller growth potential going forward and need to focus on their niche VERY hard to hold on to customers. I'm currently a customer and frankly, I'm leaving. I can't cost justify their product over a much larger company's offering on the long-term timeline.)

Not one here, but having talked directly to the guys who had that business adventure above, their new rule forevermore was never to allow investors to hold a majority position on the Board of Directors of any of their businesses ever again.

No matter how bad they want to grow fast, they'd never let the dangling carrot of massive capital suck them into giving up ultimate control of their own company, ever again. Lower growth with a majority of their own capital and assets on the line and not an investment bank or venture capital firm's money, is all they'll now accept as a reasonable way to operate their businesses.

Scaling this down to where you're at, the equivalent position would be not to use too much leverage to get started. If your bank owns your business and you don't have control of it, it's doomed to a short sale of one sort or another, eventually. Or you'll be replaced by someone the bank feels can grow the thing at a rate far higher than you can. The creditors always do everything in their power to get their money back plus interest and more if they can swing it. Don't forget that. If its operating on leverage, you don't own it. They do. You're just the caretaker of their asset.

Nope. Not able to be vacated by bankruptcy. Interestingly one of the only debts vacated by death, however. Your estate simply tells the lender that you're dead and they have no claim.

I wouldn't put them in forebearance to start a business either, but that's a risk you'd have to calculate for yourself.

All that said...

If you want a taste of what it's like to run your own business, start by making a ("peer reviewed"... chuckle...) business plan to carry multiple jobs where you're an employee, and hammer away all of your debt in three or four years. Make your life the business.

It's all "equity in yourself", either way...

Lower expenses (perhaps drastically), give yourself a "layoff" pink slip from allowing yourself any free time at all, until the debt is gone, make the balance sheet positive, etc etc etc.

All just business, really. Your personal balance sheet and business plan.

Adding a real business just adds a large asset (if you build it properly) and likely a smaller , but very large liability, to your personal balance sheet.

Business is very intolerant of "intangibles" early in the lifespan of a budding business. Time is money at that stage. Time off, "bennies", all that stuff you may or may not have had at an employer, all now on your head as the business owner.

It's one of the reasons I'm currently (and planning on being) an employee for a while longer. My personal balance sheet is very light on liabilities and they're paying me to do stuff to increase the asset side, while also paying for things most folks don't count as assets on their personal balance sheets.

THEY certainly have to account for those payments however, such as their contribution to my medical insurance. It's not an insignificant number they're paying.

Most employees don't pay that number any heed in their personal calculations, and get bit by those types of things when they start their own business.

Only other thing I'd caution about -- is who you consider "peers" -- in that business plan review. I wouldn't be looking for a "peer", I'd be looking for a mentor well beyond the same stage of business than I was at.

Most successful business owners are quite generous with their time but don't appreciate it being wasted.

Hammer that plan flat and know down to the penny where every dang one of them is coming from and going to, before asking them to review it. You shouldn't even have to refer to it to answer questions about it. Be prepared to answer with hard numbers and dates and deadlines. Not wishy-washy "maybe in a year or two" types of answers.

And be cautious about "entrepreneur" seminars and such. The general comment on those is you're going to meet a lot more people at one of those wishing they knew what they were doing than successful people with no agenda other than to assist new business owners. And a lot of salesmen looking for their next sucker.

BUT... You do need to know the lingo. And there's a lot of it. Examples, depending on where you are at on the business knowledge curve might be something like:

- What does "EBITDA-positive" mean?
- What is a DUNS number and why might I need one?
- What does "cash-flow" mean, and how does it differ from "capital", "leverage", and "profit"?
- What types of Corporations exist and why is my business targeting incorporation as a particular type (or not)?

Etc etc etc. You do need to know how to talk the talk to communicate effectively with mentors or write that business plan.

That's all I've got. Wish you well. I truly believe there's a LOT of opportunity out there to be had, and that it takes a lot of hours and a lot of work to attain it, most of the time.

Make sure you really like knowing every single good and bad detail about things, and don't mind having a lot of things thrown at you that you simply won't have the answer for, but need to deal with them right NOW, or they'll drive you insane quickly. "Hey boss, we heard a big bang on the roof and it's 85F in here and getting warmer, "just to let you know".

You ready to toss finding a good HVAC company and coordinating getting them up on the roof to look at what went bang, into your already overworked day? Maybe the day before your largest customer is stopping by for a visit? :)

An hour later when they accidentally cut the phone line to the building fire alarm system required for building occupancy, are you going to cry, or find someone who knows how to fix it and get it back online before you start having to pay an off-duty firefighter overtime to stand in your building with a clipboard on "fire watch" duty at $90/hr 24/7?

"Hey, the power just went out and the generator failed to start. It says "low oil pressure" and the batteries die in 20 minutes. You want me to push the manual override and try to start the $2M generator anyway, boss?"

"Did you notice the huge water leak coming from the ceiling in the server room?"

Just examples of insanity I've seen.

Do you thrive on that kind of natural chaos or become drained by it? Out of all the successful business owners I know that's probably the most important question I can think to ask. They all thrive in chaos and don't G-LOC when it occurs. They shuffle the schedule, make decisions, and keep moving.

This is all really good stuff. I recall the night I was in a plant and a water pipe burst over a false ceiling over an electrical room. Genius design. :mad2: Mind you this was a plant that sits in front of a few million birds and has to run every day. No exceptions.

Water made its way down the conduits and into a 2000 amp 480v motor control center. Boom. I had my plant manager and a mx guy to help work the problem. Lock out the mains to the plant, don the safety gear and flashlights, and get to work. The mx guy fixed the leak and we went to work tearing the buckets out of the mcc. We got it dried out and reassembled by 4 am. Time to flip the switch and test our work. Boom. I was in the next room and was mainly concerned about arc flash, didn't consider the noise. My ears were ringing for days. F'ing F. Tear it all apart, inspect for damage and the source of the problem. We missed drying one bus bar. Dry it up, and put it back together and success. We had the plant running by 10 am and were then able to plan for the horrendously expensive proper repairs that occurred ten weeks later. The best part is I passed my private check ride about a week after this happened.

The avian influenza we went through is another example. Had to figure out how to euthanize and dispose of 9,000,000 birds over the course of 45 days. No good answers, but you have no choice but to get it figured out.

You just have to make it work.

Let me be the fifth or sixth poster to remind you to keep your business banking, credit, purchasing, leasing, and every other financial transaction as separate from your personal affairs as possible.

Once your business is earning enough to return some money to you personally then talk to your accountant (or EA) about the best way to take money out of your business for you to spend on yourself.

A lot of small business owners get into needless IRS and legal trouble and expense by mismanaging their personal/business interfaces.

Others have touched on it clearly and bluntly - cash is life. But what hasn't been said explicitly is that plenty of failures have resulted from profitable companies running out of cash. In addition to learning to read a P&L, you have to learn to read the Balance Sheet and the Statement of Cash Flows, or have a trusted advisor (and sorry if it offends, but that's usually NOT an accountant.) that can, so they can see the shipwreck that might occur.

Don't borrow anything if you don't have to. You'll be expected to sign personally whether you incorporate or not. Be ready to feel broke and insecure. You won't sleep well, either. If you're good at what you do you'll find a way to scratch by and pay the bills. Then your accountant will tell you how much tax you owe because of the profit you made, but you won't have any cash to pay the taxes. Run through that cycle for a few years and you'll start to believe that you might make it, all the while knowing your success is dependent on the market and you can't control that. One day the economy will tank and you'll have to adapt or die. That's how it goes. Forget what the business school guys say. Work hard and charge a fair price and customers will support you. Pay your bills for discount and your vendors will support you. Keep the overhead low and don't borrow money. Live within your means. As far as sad stories about failures? Those are dime a dozen. To start a business means you're all in. Failure will clean you out. That's not a death sentence, you simply have to start over. My advice? Don't fail. Enjoy going gray prematurely!

Last edited:
Cash flow cash flow cash flow. Get business credit, LOC or CC. Pay your bills and if something comes up talk to vendors. I would rather hear you got screwed and are going to pay us than crickets.

Cash flow. We bought the assets of what was a 2 yr old spin off and profitable company 3 years ago. They had some customer orders slow down, a few late payers and all of a sudden they couldn't pay their bills and that caused a death spiral that took only a couple of months. For a 5 million a yr company. It can happen quickly.

Good luck.

I'd add one more thing based on my experience. It's worth it to pay $1.5-2.0X dollars/unit of time for a really good employee than $1X dollars per unit of time for two average employees.

I'd add one more thing based on my experience. It's worth it to pay $1.5-2.0X dollars/unit of time for a really good employee than $1X dollars per unit of time for two average employees.

That depends on the job being performed. Generally I agree, but sometimes just having a butt in the seat is adequate, so why pay more. Also, finding that really good employee can take time and it is sometimes hard to know, until they are working for you. There are times that filling the seat quickly can be just as important and then sort out the chaff from the wheat. As mentioned above, a small startup needs to be agile and react quickly to staff level requirements. Carrying extra payroll can be a killer.

You need to work for a company that does similar work for experience.
I gave this advice to someone about 25 years ago about getting into the mapping business. He's still in business. I know a couple other people who tried without working for someone first; they lasted a few years. It probably depends on the type of business. Photogrammetric mapping is a very cliquish industry, at least it was at the time. Outsiders and newbies were not that welcome.

I was a partner in a business for a short time when I was young. I figured out it was not for me, even though I ended up making more than I would have as an employee. Different strokes.

Last edited:
https://www.score.org/

This is a volunteer organization so results will vary from mentor to mentor and from chapter to chapter, but it's definitely worth a try.

Back