Enthusiasm and Flight Training

I started Air Force flight training in 1961. The thing that kept it interesting for me was the fact that we began our training in complex aircraft and instrument training was just another part of the lessons. The intensity of the training was such that you didn't have time to get bored with anything. I'm not sure how well this will be received, but is it possible that students these days could benefit from a more intense training program, given in more complex aircraft?

Ray, a similar method certainly is what worked well for me. I went from having zero interest in flying whatsoever to knowing that I was going to get started on the path that I am now on. My first flying lesson was September 8th, 2007. If you'd told me a year ago I'd be where I am today, I would have laughed at you. As of last night, I have 128.9 hours, and am two lessons away from my instrument check ride (just passed the written). Multi is next.

My second lesson was in a Piper Comanche (which I later got my complex endorsement in) in actual IMC and doing an ILS. Granted, the ILS part my instructor was mostly doing and having me follow along, but the learning was still there. At 11 hours TT, I flew a Piper Aztec on a 3 hour XC at night. Got the high performance right after my PPL in a Dakota. At this point, I've also flown right seat (and gotten my hands at the controls) in a Navajo, a Lancair, a T182, and a few other planes. I'm sure you were well further along at under a year than me, but this is also something I'm doing mostly as a hobby. I agree that in my case (and obviously in yours) this kind of higher intensity training works. In fact, it is absolutely what has kept me interested and motivated to continue to where I am now. Others may (and do/have) frowned upon how I've been taught for this reason, but that's their perogative. The methods that their instructors used to teach them (or in some cases that they use to teach) would have driven me away from flying entirely. Proof of to each his own.

But, as others have stated, it all depends on the student and knowing what the student wants and is interested in. Some people don't want to burn AvGas every day, they merely want to go up on sunny days and count sheep in a field or something. I don't get it, but those people are probably better off with a lower intensity program that, to them, would help keep it less like a job. I treat flying ratings like taking college courses, and I want to get an A. :)

Back