Enterprise Rent-A-Car Rant/Good Review

Re: Enterprise. several years ago I rented a car from Enterprise and was upgraded to a brand new Yukon when they were out of cars. Sadly I had a fire and that car burned. Having used my AMEX to rent I called them for help. They told me to read the fine print on their cardholder agreement, SUVs aren't included in their insurance plan. My company insurance declined any help. Finally I called State Farm, who insures one of our private cars. They picked up the tab for all the damage and they also have an agreement with Enterprise to waive any lost revenue claims, which car rental companies routinely use to fleece renters when a car is disabled for any reason. I've used Enterprise exclusively ever since, when available.

Story #2. A couple of years ago American Eagle cancelled a flight from College Station to Dallas so I rented a car one-way from Avis to make my connection. About 6 months later I got a bill in the mail for a windshield replacement and several days of lost revenue. I argued that I didn't have a broken windshield when their agent checked the car in but they wouldn't let it go. I handed it off to my attorney who found the repairs had been done 6 weeks after I rented and in Waco, not Dallas. WTF? Adios, Avis. Never again.

Last edited:
Not a single mention of Budget in this thread.

I don't fly for business anymore, but years ago when I was flying a lot, they were my go to company. Once I got on their frequent renter program (I forget what they called it) they were pretty good - very rarely let me down, very price competitive.

What about today?

Budget and Avis (and ZipCar) merged a few years back. I rented a lot of trucks with Budget because they give a hefty AARP discount. Our local Budget office will also accept my Avis "one way" car returns.

My current National rental in Houston this week @ 33/day: only has 2K miles on the clock, but I bet the tires show a lot more wear than that. They will by the time I'm done with it. Side note: never buy a rental car. ;)

b7a0717ac81d8567cdbde6aa90f87d6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When I don't get the CDW insurance (which seems to be outrageously priced everywhere but in Calif), I take several before and after photos of the car from various angles with my phone. Takes a couple minutes, but I'm pretty sure in the event of an attempted bogus claim, emailing them the "before" and "after" photos along with a screen shot showing the "photo taken" data in the image meta-info would cause them to drop the issue quickly. Maybe I'm lucky, but in the many, many times I've rented cars, I've never had them try to bogus-claim me.

This. Before and after, and with my good camera if I'm traveling with it (which I usually am). Can't change me for **** if I document it wasn't there.

I travelled so much domestically long ago that I had good and bad experiences with pretty much every rental car company. Always seemed very localized and unpredictable.

Best rental ever was a trip to CA where I wanted bottom dollar so I took a risk on a no-name place off airport in Central CA. Guy came over in his own car, gave me a ride, and asked if a little Ford Ranger was okay since I needed it for a week. He usually couldn't rent it out because it was two people and their bags had to ride in the back.

I said sure, and puttered around for hundreds of miles (I was headed to the middle of nowhere with no airports around it) in that little pickup truck that had a whopping 3000 miles on it when I picked it up. Think the whole week cost me like $85. LOL.

He got to keep his econobox for some couple with luggage. We were both happy.

I've never partaken of it, but I notice via Airnav at some far-flung EJ airports, they refer to car rentals thru local used car dealerships. Bet some interesting deals can thus be made.

I've rented cars like this. Usually, the FBO knows how to arrange this when it is available.

Lots of folks here bagging on Enterprise and I have to say I have had nothing but great experiences with them.. AAMOF, it is because of their professionalism it is the only car rental company I work with to the point where I had my company set up a corporate deal them as one of our preferred vendors for travel. This ****ed some folks off that have rewards programs with other companies, but in the end they all agree the Enterprise is a top notch company.

Just rented from Enterprise in St. Joseph, MO. Great FBO but the car reeked of cigarette smoke and Enterprise tried to charge me for a second day.

I've never partaken of it, but I notice via Airnav at some far-flung EJ airports, they refer to car rentals thru local used car dealerships. Bet some interesting deals can thus be made.
I once had to divert to Kelso, WA due to a snow storm, and the car rentals there were through a Ford dealership.

Back