Enlighten me: Veterans Benefits paying for training

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Had a gentleman with questions about flight instruction approach me the other day. After answering his questions on what was involved, he asked one I didn't know about.

He was curious if the Hazelwood act (http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx) would cover the cost of flight instruction.

Can someone with more background in using Veterans Benefits enlighten me? Especially if this could apply to Part 61 training.

Not sure about Hazlewood but from what I've read it only applys to higher learning and not vocational schools.

If the student is prior 9/11 then they have the old MGIB. It applies only to approved Part 141 schools that pays only 60 % training and you have to have a PPL first.

If they are after 9/11, then they have the Post 9/11 (ch33) benefits. Once again it's for only Part 141 approved schools but pays far more. If it's a flight school associated with a college it generally pays 18 grand per year. If it's a part 141 non college school you're looking at just over 10 grand per year. PPL is required but I've read if you enroll in a college flight program it is included.

The flight stuff has exploded after the Post 9/11 was passed. Some flight schools are 90 % vets right now. There's talk of the GI Bill being cut because of the record numbers using it. Hopefully that'll wait awhile since I'm currently awaiting approval for ME training.

If you'd like to, PM me for details, but I did a B.S., A.S., 0 to CFI all on GI Bill at a part 61 school.

Last edited:
Chapter 30 and Chapter 33, yes.

Hazlewood, maybe, if you can find a 4 year, public institution receiving formula funding for flight training and not classifying flight training as "extraordinary costs". As far as I know, Texas Southern, Tarleton State, and TAMU-Central Texas (or whatever they are calling that school in Killeen) offer flight training. Most community colleges will not honor Hazlewood benefits for flight training because it is classified as extraordinary costs. (San Jacinto in Pasadena may.) Why? Schools take a loss on the tuition and fees waived for Hazlewood. The state doesn't reimburse the school for the waived tuition and fees. (However, the last legislative session did reimburse us about 10% of our loss.)

It has been hypothesized that the lack of flight training and A&P programs at Texas public colleges is because of the fear the state would require these tuition and fees to be waived in the future.

Back