Enhanced 406 Mhz ELTs Survey

ERAU1Moody

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ERAU1Moody
Hello,

This is Bryan Moody and I'm doing a survey for my Embry-Riddle Graduate project. I would appreciate replies to this survey by U.S. pilots.

The purpose of this survey is to identify the importance of enhanced 406MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters by United States Pilots.

As of February 1, 2009, the International Cospas-Sarsat System ended the satellite monitoring of 121.5/243 MHz ELT signals and now only monitors signals from enhanced 406 MHz ELTs. Currently, there are no regulatory requirements mandated by the FAA for United States aircraft to upgrade to the 406 MHz ELTs.

Please click the link below to take the survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3LJ9VMT

This project will be published through Embry-Riddle and I will let know the survey results by a follow-up posting in May 2011.

Thanks,

Bryan Moody
A&P, IA, and Student Pilot
P&WC DAC Certified Engine Condition Trend Monitoring Analyst
Graduate Student in Masters of Aeronautical Science
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Hi Brian,
Welcome to POA. And Congratulations on attending such a fine School.
It just so happens my 172 is in the shop now getting a Garmin audio panel and a GNS 530w installed.

I am considering replacing the old ELT now since they are going to be opening it up anyway. The shop quoted me $1,500 installed price for a new 406 ELT, but I am not yet sure which one. Does anyone else want to chime in on what kind of ELT I should put in a 172 and how much I should expect to pay? I live in Florida (about 10 miles from "Echo Romeo") where we do have swamps and forests but no mountains.

About May of last year, when I heard rumblings of 406 Mandate, I convinced myself to go with the tri-band Artex. The additional costs was a dash mounted switch. The total was about $1500.
August, the plane underwent the knife.
Somewhere in the future, I'll add the GPS to data feed to it.

Hi JohnH,
Thanks for the Welcome. And thanks to all the pilots who have already responded to the survey. Your input is greatly appreciated. The comments in the survey are very interesting and helpful. Thanks again.

Embry-Riddle has been a great college to attend. I've been going for several years now and received my Bachelors through them as well.

I will be sure to post the results of the project and the survey once it is complete.

The survey is still open so anyone else wishing to take the survey is welcome to. Thanks

Best Regards,

Bryan Moody

We rent, so can't influence what ELT is installed. OTOH, my wife and I each have a 406MHz PLB that we carry in our flight bags.

Back