Engine Won't Start

Considering I just changed the oil, and there was no metal in the filter, I don't find it very hard to believe.

Also, it was one of the cheapest repairs I've seen in a while. And now it starts, no problem. So it sounds like that was the problem to me.

The (reputable)mechanic also said he had never seen anything like that before.

You really seem to think it was strictly "pilot error", and couldn't possibly be anything else?

The plot was never in question.

the part you describe is a thin disk trapped between the coupling base (very heavy metal) and the mag rotor shaft in front of the garlic seal in the housing. If it were to get loose it would be ground into shreds and fall into the accessory section.

In order to have any effect on the impulse coupling it would be required to get out of the cavity it's in, and travel around the coupling base and into the coupling's spinning fly weights.

Doing this with out making any debris is in the trillions to one of getting it done.

pictured below is a slick mag with the driving impulse coupling attached, The disk you speak of is hidden in the cavity between the coupling and the housing this is the same coupling used on the TCM mags.

after reading this thread over again I believe your mech screwed up the first time, did a CYA and billed it to you.

here are a few good pictures of an impulse coupling apart.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/bendix.htm

Attachments

• DSCN2310.jpg
    DSCN2310.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Tom what is to prevent the loose deflector from migrating up the shaft to the bottom of the IC; that is where the flyweights are. Interfering with them would darn sure prevent proper actuation....and hard starting was the symptom. There is nothing between the two to prevent this.

Back