Leo Langston
Pre-takeoff checklist
- Joined
- Dec 30, 2016
- Messages
- 148
- Display Name
- llangston1
I have a “grass is always greener” type delimma in front of me and an looking for pros and cons arguments to help me make a decision. I bought my ‘49 Navion with the E-225 and bladder prop in 2018 fully expecting to upgrade to a 520 or 550 rather than putting any big money back into the 225. The engine performs fine and the plane is a decent 130kt cruiser with 60 gal of fuel with a 500 nm range at 4 hr. But at a 2750 gross wt its a 2 person plane with full fuel or a 3-4 person plane with the 40 gal main tanks. So over the years I spent money on upgrading the panel and avionics with Aspen 2000 Pro Max, STEC 55X, 650xi, GNX375, GNC255, GR-30P engine monitor. And now my plane needs a complete interior redo($5-10K?) of course after covid engine prices have gotten absurd so I have been told to budget $100k for a big engine upgrade. Recently another Navion has become available($110k) that has a 700 hr 520, with tip tanks (80 gal total), very nice interior and seats. That plane has a 3150 gross wt. But the panel and avionics aren’t as good as my plane. It has dual G5s, STEC 30, Garmin 355, KX155, Narco VOR in the OBS, L3 transponder and no engine monitor. This plane can cruise at 140 kts at 13-14 gph or 150 kts at 15.5 gph.
So as I see it my choices are do nothing and continue to upgrade my interior and wait til I absolutely have to do something with my engine (1250 SMOH 1998)
Buy this 520 plane and “swap panels or radios” if that is even feasible. Then sell my plane.
Of course finding another hangar while I had 2 planes would be problematic.
So What have others done in a similar situation?
Big engine Navions for sale are not a dime a dozen like other brands so you usually have to strike while the iron is hot.
Comments, Suggestions are welcome.
Thx
Leo
So as I see it my choices are do nothing and continue to upgrade my interior and wait til I absolutely have to do something with my engine (1250 SMOH 1998)
Buy this 520 plane and “swap panels or radios” if that is even feasible. Then sell my plane.
Of course finding another hangar while I had 2 planes would be problematic.
So What have others done in a similar situation?
Big engine Navions for sale are not a dime a dozen like other brands so you usually have to strike while the iron is hot.
Comments, Suggestions are welcome.
Thx
Leo