Engine sump fuel test-Piper Archer

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
I’ve been instructing in a Piper Archer that sat for about a year and a half in a hangar before it was annualled this year. It has flown probably 7 hours or so since it started flying this year. The airplane has not been sitting outside.

The wing sumps show clean 100 LL. The engine sump, however, will put out a clear or slightly yellow tinted liquid that has a fuel smell to it, but it isn’t really like 100 LL. It has sumped this way probably 4 times. The airplane has only been fueled with 100LL by us, so it’s not another type of fuel. It isn’t water either.

After about 3-4 testers full, we get 100LL from the sump.

If it was sitting outside, I’d suspect water. But it has had enough 100ll run through it, so I don’t think it is that.

The airplane runs well, no roughness or low rpms.

Any ideas?

Don't know, but not sure I’d fly the plane until I had a solid answer.

I’ve been instructing in a Piper Archer that sat for about a year and a half in a hangar before it was annualled this year. It has flown probably 7 hours or so since it started flying this year. The airplane has not been sitting outside.

The wing sumps show clean 100 LL. The engine sump, however, will put out a clear or slightly yellow tinted liquid that has a fuel smell to it, but it isn’t really like 100 LL. It has sumped this way probably 4 times. The airplane has only been fueled with 100LL by us, so it’s not another type of fuel. It isn’t water either.

After about 3-4 testers full, we get 100LL from the sump.

If it was sitting outside, I’d suspect water. But it has had enough 100ll run through it, so I don’t think it is that.

The airplane runs well, no roughness or low rpms.

Any ideas?

When you say "engine sump" is this a gascolator type of fitting? If so, suggest you take it apart and check the screens, etc.

Back