Engine Run Up on a Snowy Ramp

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Laughing at myself. Pre take off engine run-up on a snowy ramp/taxi way. What's your best method? I just point the plane in a direction that will allow for a good slip when the wheels loose friction and start to slide. Count to 3 check the mags and pull the throttle to idle (hoping there is no shock cooling)..:)

I would thing float plane pilots and folks on skies could give some good techniques.

Rolling run up. No big deal.
Still laughing, last time I aborted a take off because the pito tube was frozen and I had no airspeed indication I got a call from FSDO asking me what the problem was. Nice conversation, no big deal. Next time I say, "right mag had to big a drop in rpm"...:)

Just did this last week, with a ramp completely covered in ice. Uncontrolled airport, no activity, we announced that we were taking the runway, which was clear, and doing a run-up. Worked fine, I can't fathom running up an engine on a surface you know there is no braking.

Try big, bald Bushwheels on a narrow, crowned strip that's iced over like a Zamboni just dressed it. Hmm, which describes the roads in Anchorage today!

Try big, bald Bushwheels on a narrow, crowned strip that's iced over like a Zamboni just dressed it. Hmm, which describes the roads in Anchorage today!

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe run up the engine tied down?

Its not a big deal. Guys who fly floats and skis are used to not having brakes. Tires on slick aurfaces are no different.

I guess it makes you more efficient time wise in the runup.

Your from AK ,you should be giving us advise.
Yah winter operations are a pain. SE AK is warm by Alaska standards. The class D I fly out of normally has clear taxi and runways. This year not so much. I normally like to hold a count of 5 on each mag. Just wondering what others do. A quick check when rolling works

Next time I say, "right mag had to big a drop in rpm"...:)
Then they may ask for the logbook entry repairing the "right mag had to big a drop in rpm". I took off once and the gear on our C340 would not come up and returned to the airport. Later I got a call from the FAA wanting to see the logbook entry of it being repaired.

Then they may ask for the logbook entry repairing the "right mag had to big a drop in rpm". I took off once and the gear on our C340 would not come up and returned to the airport. Later I got a call from the FAA wanting to see the logbook entry of it being repaired.

Really?

Guess business must be slow for the Feds? Busy work?

I guess it makes you more efficient time wise in the runup.

Unless you have back taxi after the run up

Last edited:
Was that a recent event or was that some time ago? A friend told me the FAA is doing all sorts of follow up on events such as yours and mine at controlled fields. Just wondering..

Last week I was happily doing run up when I started to go to words the non paved area, pretty fast... I stopped doing run up, before take off requested run up on rny.. they were cool. Might not work when they are busy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How bush pilots perform run ups and take off from a very slick icy runway.

Items needed: Rope, tree or truck bumper (preferably still attached to the truck) axe, 1 assistant.

1. Tie one end of a rope to stout tree or truck bumper.

2. Tie the other end of the rope around the tail of the plane.

3. Start plane. Do normal warm up and run up. After run up advance throttle(s) to take off power.

4. Give assistant pre-arranged signal to chop the rope.

5. Take off.

Was that a recent event or was that some time ago? A friend told me the FAA is doing all sorts of follow up on events such as yours and mine at controlled fields. Just wondering..

Almost 6 years ago.

Years ago the airport I flew from got a couple of inches of freezing rain, then went to 20 below for a couple of weeks. One of our guys did a King Air checkride, and I'd guess they had to do the runway on the runway.

I happened to be in the office when they got back, and the Fed said, "Nobody's reported it, but it's nil out there."

Me: "It's not nil, it's poor."

Him: "Well, it's VERY poor!"

Me: "Yeah, but that's still poor."

Him: "When's your next checkride?"

Me: "Next week, but it's already scheduled with (name omitted to protect the innocent and/or guilty), so you don't get me!"

:D

How bush pilots perform run ups and take off from a very slick icy runway.

Items needed: Rope, tree or truck bumper (preferably still attached to the truck) axe, 1 assistant.

1. Tie one end of a rope to stout tree or truck bumper.

2. Tie the other end of the rope around the tail of the plane.

3. Start plane. Do normal warm up and run up. After run up advance throttle(s) to take off power.

4. Give assistant pre-arranged signal to chop the rope.

5. Take off.

I thought that was how it was done everywhere. Occasionally we'll get some one to shoot the rope.

Use line with the right breaking strength. Then it just breaks once the airplane engine is up to max thrust baby.
"Lets see, packed snow, thats 4 loops of 20 lb fishing line, yup?"

You do run-ups at max power? :eek:

If you want some fun? Fly straight skis onto a frozen lake with a couple of inches of water on top of the ice. Its so slick you can barely stand up. And when that weather happens the wind is usually blowing. Good times!

Back