Engine Problem

Tan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheCapTan
One Friday after departing my engine had a slight maybe 2 second hiccup during climb. It was the first time I have experienced this in any airplane. I turned back to airport and landed. I went to do another runup and everything was fine. I hangared the plane and next day had my mechanic look at it. Mechanic thought it may have been a carbon deposit that hit the spark plug and pulled the bottom plugs for inspection. He did a cleaning and we went to do a runup. Everything was fine during run up. Mag rpm drop both at 80rpm each. No issues until we taxied back to park when I went to around 1000 rpm and the issues started to appear. Intermittent stutters every few seconds. Anyone have similar issues. He does not think its a stuck valve. Piper Arrow 28R-180. 1968. I also pulled the data logs from my engine monitor and can't see or know what to look for as they seem steady.

My last annual the mechanic installed some sort of update kit in my right mag. Something about a plastic gear. I had a similar intermittent problem. Lycoming O-360-A4M.

If it’s an anomaly, most likely fuel or spark/ignition. I think over time most of us have had a noticeable ‘hiccup’.

I would ask engine hours? Flown routinely?

I’d do careful sumping, looking for any water slugs. The next would be condition & age of plugs. I would assume you run lean when able, most phases of flight?

I had an issue 5 months ago, a ‘get your attention’ hiccup after leaving the runway. Afterwards some full power run ups on the ground, heavy sumping, plug inspection & swap, flow test, & data review. It has not happened again. This was with a 200 hour factory new engine.

Back