Engine Pre-heaters

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Even though I live in the southeast where the winters are mild, I am thinking of getting an engine preheater. I had my engine overhauled last spring and my mechanic said a preheater was good to use in the winter so you are not starting the engine with cold thick oil. I have no experience with preheaters and would appreciate any feedback you guys have.

At what temperature point do you usually start using a heater?

I looked at the Aircraft Spruce website and found this heater:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/symtecpreheat.php?clickkey=49664
Does anyone have any experience with this particular heater?

Is there something different you would recommend for a Lycoming 0-320?

Keep in mind that I live in an area that rarely drops below 25F during the night and is usually in the upper 30's to mid 40's in Jan-Feb. Thanks!

I live in Atlanta and have a Tanis on my 182. Since my airplane is hangared 200 feet from my house, I go down and hook it up the night before a flight anytime the temp is less than 50F. Makes a big difference on ease of starting.

I use an oil pan pre heater. They work great

I've been reading about these since our tie down happens to be 10ft from an electrical outlet. I was also going to tie in a quality battery maintainer. Cold weather takes a toll on the battery, both chemically and due to the increased electrical demand to crank the motor.

I get the impression the best practice is to only use an oil heater prior to a planned flight. For example, plugging it in 12-16 hours before you plan to depart. Leaving it plugged in 24/7 has a tendency to create condensation inside the engine, which is not a good thing. So either go up there the day before, or get the switchbox to control it from your cell phone.

I too would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

I usually plug my Tanis heater in 16-24 hours before the planned flight. The temp may factor in on how long. There are those that report no issues leaving it on all the time. I also try to take it easy on the hangar owner's electric bill.

I plug my battery maintainer in about once every month or two for a 24 hour stretch. My maintainer gives a 'green light' when up to full charge.

I don't worry about it much, but there was just that hangar fire the other week caused by electrical wiring/cords in some way or another. I'd rather not leave stuff plugged in if there is no need. YMMV

I've been reading about these since our tie down happens to be 10ft from an electrical outlet. I was also going to tie in a quality battery maintainer. Cold weather takes a toll on the battery, both chemically and due to the increased electrical demand to crank the motor.

I get the impression the best practice is to only use an oil heater prior to a planned flight. For example, plugging it in 12-16 hours before you plan to depart. Leaving it plugged in 24/7 has a tendency to create condensation inside the engine, which is not a good thing. So either go up there the day before, or get the switchbox to control it from your cell phone.

I too would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

This topic comes up about every year and my answer is....

I plug in my plane Oct 1 and unplug it June 1 every year...... It never cools down.... Water stays at 120f and the oil stays at 140 f while in the hangar... 10 years and so far, not even the slightest sign of rust, corrosion and any other issues inside the motor.. YMMV...

I have used. An oil pan heater and a tanis heater on several airplane in New England. They all work ,if given enough time . I liked to use the tanis and a propane. Heater to be sure.

Make your own. This one costs $30 and lasts for about 10 years.

Preheater__Medium_.jpg

This topic comes up about every year and my answer is....

I plug in my plane Oct 1 and unplug it June 1 every year...... It never cools down.... Water stays at 120f and the oil stays at 140 f while in the hangar... 10 years and so far, not even the slightest sign of rust, corrosion and any other issues inside the motor.. YMMV...

:yes:

24/7 below 40f.

I used to just make my own, ain't rocket surgery.

My new planes also have oil dilution which I might try if I get stuck out somewhere.

That little electric space heater is super. In a hangar!

Back