Engine Pre-heat

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
So I have a new IO-360 in my Arrow and I've been breaking it in. I'm thinking about taking it to Chicago for a day trip but the temperatures are expected to be in the low 30's. I would estimate it would be out on the ramp for about 12 hours. I have no way to pre-heat it obviously... do I need to cancel this trip or is low 30's perfectly acceptable to start without pre-heat?

Which airport will you be flying to? Most FBOs in the area will preheat for you for a reasonable fee ($15-$25).

So I have a new IO-360 in my Arrow and I've been breaking it in. I'm thinking about taking it to Chicago for a day trip but the temperatures are expected to be in the low 30's. I would estimate it would be out on the ramp for about 12 hours. I have no way to pre-heat it obviously... do I need to cancel this trip or is low 30's perfectly acceptable to start without pre-heat?

Mike Busch wrote that a cold-soaked start is more likely to damage a newly remanufactured engine than an older engine, due to tighter clearances for a new engine. So you’re right to be concerned.

Busch also specified “below freezing” as a rough rule of thumb for when to say no to a cold-soaked start, mentioning that certain clearances become negative below -20 F.

https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182846-1.html

I call FBOs and ask if I can plug in my engine heater, while on the ramp. For some, it’s an uncommon request but they say sure, bring your own extension cord and park by the building. A few, like Lynx in Blaine MN (KANE), are much better and offer to plug you in on the ramp with their own cord, which they keep out there always ready.

Last edited:
Most airports in this cold country will have either heated hangar, or t hangar with plug in, call them and check. Might cost you some $$ but worth it

A good engine cover put on right after **** down will keep your engine warming for quite some time. I left mine cover on the ramp in -10 and eight hours later it was still warm to the touch. Not hot mind you but warm enough it didn’t bother me to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low 30s are fine for a start without preheat. I wouldn't do it all the time... but for one trip, don't even worry about it.

Low 30s are fine for a start without preheat. I wouldn't do it all the time... but for one trip, don't even worry about it.
:yeahthat:

May not even hurt to pull the prop through a few times to get the oil moving prior to start.

Come to KSSQ (Shell Lake WI) where there's free power and an extension cord on the ramp, and a free courtesy car. Surprised more places don't have that sort of service.

Come to KSSQ (Shell Lake WI) where there's free power and an extension cord on the ramp, and a free courtesy car. Surprised more places don't have that sort of service.

You might wanna check out the Tesla thread. ;)

Back