Engine out road landing in Sangar TX

Looks like it worked out, other than attracting a bunch of unwanted attention. :lol:

Good job,a real training experience.

That instructor now proudly wears the coveted gold 5 bar with oak leaf cluster epaulettes and will be addressed by students as, "Oh Captain, my Captian"!

:yes:

I wondered that once the adrenaline wore off if the instructor told his part 141 student, "well, it might be out of our planned sequence and way we teach it, but we can color in that box as done"

I wondered that once the adrenaline wore off if the instructor told his part 141 student, "well, it might be out of our planned sequence and way we teach it, but we can color in that box as done"

Knowing U.S. Aviation Academy they will charge the student extra for the real vs. simulated engine out. Option 5 page 214 of the standard contract.

Hope they weren't cloth seats...

Very good job getting everyone home safely. I am not second guessing, but I would be interested to hear the instructors reasoning for choosing a road bordered by powerlines and trees rather than a field. Looking at Google earth, I don't think I would have made that choice, but it seems to have been a good one. So I'd like to hear the thought process.

I'm surprised they managed to hit power lines and still actually land rather than flip and crash. That doesn't usually work out very well.

will they paint a powerline silhouette on the aircraft?

That instructor now proudly wears the coveted gold 5 bar with oak leaf cluster epaulettes and will be addressed by students as, "Oh Captain, my Captian"!

:yes:

Nope. Left the flaps down.

well, i guess if you're going down you'd want it to be in a 152 of all things. 49mph stall speed, probably just enough gas to keep them up a couple hours and nice and small.

Well done.

Very good job getting everyone home safely. I am not second guessing, but I would be interested to hear the instructors reasoning for choosing a road bordered by powerlines and trees rather than a field. Looking at Google earth, I don't think I would have made that choice, but it seems to have been a good one. So I'd like to hear the thought process.
Speed! Speed! Put the nose down NOW! keep it flying! No time to study the terrain, just find someplace that looks suitable and go for it NOW! LOTS of luck involved as there is little time. In many instances the instructor now days does not have a whole lot more time than the student! Very fortunate outcome.

lots of rain, lots of soft fields, I'd go for the hard surface that looks more like a runway

Am I the only one who thought it interesting when I scrolled down to the bottom of the story on the NBC website linked above and saw this additional (clickable) headline entitled:
"Crash Splits Car in Two in Arlington Monday"

Can someone pull a METAR for yesterday in my area. I am not sure where historic ones are located.

Mrs. 6PC said to me she was surprised anyone would be training yesterday.
Not that one has to do with the other but we both recall major wind alerts yesterday. Surprised anyone was training in a plane that small

It was pretty windy. By lunchtime it was 25+G30 and gusting to 40 by mid-afternoon in the Fort Worth area.

If the winds are straight down the runway, it just makes for a super Awesome short field landing

If the winds are straight down the runway, it just makes for a super Awesome short field landing

If the Gust speed is larger than the gap between your speed and Vs, it could ruin your whole doggone day as John King would say.

If the Gust speed is larger than the gap between your speed and Vs, it could ruin your whole doggone day as John King would say.

naw, ya jus' git more landings that way...

Oh, you're showing your POA youthfulness, young man.

Our own Jesse created the ultimate archive, JesseWeather.com. Here's DTO:

http://www.jesseweather.com/weather/viewStation/KDTO

Jesse, can you update the code for the search page to include current years? 2009 and 2010 are the only options.

I am getting up there. I got this app on my phone that makes you older and balder. My kids crack up when I do it to them or the dogs.

I am going to look like a professor of some sort.

attachment.php

Attachments

• make-me-old-1.jpg
    make-me-old-1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 234
I am getting up there. I got this app on my phone that makes you older and balder. My kids crack up when I do it to them or the dogs.

I am going to look like a professor of some sort.

attachment.php

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What's the name of that app? I want to see what it does with my dogs.

I would also prefer a road. I only had to put it down in a pasture once and the bumps there were easily enough to flip the airplane over (I got lucky). And it wasn't even wet and soggy. Powerlines are certainly hazardous, but fields can ruin you day very easily, I think.

P.S. In 2013, Jim Wiebe tried to fly his pure Part 103 from Wichita to Oshkosh. Due to regulation limits, ultralights have really short legs. At one point he landed in a field to get refueled by the support crew (alfalfa field, IIRC). Landing was fine, but he taxied into a gopher hole and sheared the landing gear right off. (Jim succeeded next year, in 2014, by only landing and refueling at airports)

Last edited:
US Aviation had a 152 parked at KGLE when I was there on 1/9. Fire department showed up and was giving it a good look over. I guess that someone smelled smoke.

With as many aircraft as US has in the area, there are going to be problems.

When my Stearman quit at 1500 feet I chose a cut corn field over a road as it was nearby and BIG! A 2 lane road was near but there were power, phone lines. It was an easy decision and it was close by. I was lucky and well trained with over 3000 hours in taildraggers by then. I landed safely with no damage. Had it happened two days before over the chesapeake bay I probably would have died as it was cold and the Stearman would have flipped. These two were very lucky especially due to high winds. No day to be instructing unless CFI was desperate for money.

Back