Engine Out: Practice, Practice, Practice

Gotta be careful with this. Cross-control turn back towards the runway with the engine out could potentially put you in a spin.

try that in an urban area with obstructions and 50' -75' wide runway. not happening. Best to just find some place out in front to put it down

Rules that I go over my instructor, is if you are above 800 feet, you can turn back and attempt a landing on any available runway or taxiway. Below 800 feet, look within the area of the windscreen for a place to land.

Gotta be careful with this. Cross-control turn back towards the runway with the engine out could potentially put you in a spin.
More likely to cause a spin is to skid (rudder in concert with ailerons, but too much). But slipping (rudder opposite ailerons) is bad too, in this case, because the rate of descent will increase. Bottom line is you can't afford to be uncoordinated in either direction when doing this. Even on normal base-to-final turns it can bite you.
They do a good job in this clip, but in a motorglider, with a broad grass runway, it's really not that impressive (what's with the ominous music? LOL).
At least the correct information is presented; "ball in center" is emphasized, which is good.

According to the comments, this was done in a Scheibe SF-25 Falke, which has a glide ratio of about 24 to 1; I believe a Cessna 172 has a glide ratio of about 9 to 1.

Back