Engine out approaches

Why anyone would argue against practicing engine out approaches is beyond me:mad2:.

I flew a 3 engine jet and did recurrent training 2wice a year in a simulator and one of the training scenarios was having 1 engine fail, one was having 2 engines fail and 1 was having all 3 engines fail. How likely is that? Not very, but it was still on the training schedule:skeptical:.

In these jets every system had multiple backups but we still practiced for every backup failing:yikes:.

Now I fly around in a 1946 single engine airplane and a 1974 single engine airplane and I practice engine out landings. I don't care if the odds are infinitesimal, it can and does happen and it is better to have prepared for it:yesnod:.

Why anyone would argue against practicing engine out approaches is beyond me:mad2:.

I flew a 3 engine jet and did recurrent training 2wice a year in a simulator and one of the training scenarios was having 1 engine fail, one was having 2 engines fail and 1 was having all 3 engines fail. How likely is that? Not very, but it was still on the training schedule:skeptical:.

In these jets every system had multiple backups but we still practiced for every backup failing:yikes:.

Now I fly around in a 1946 single engine airplane and a 1974 single engine airplane and I practice engine out landings. I don't care if the odds are infinitesimal, it can and does happen and it is better to have prepared for it:yesnod:.

Agree,
If it is a towered field just ask for a "short approach".
I realize I live in BFE and just by chance fly out of a towered field, but they have always worked with me for practicing things.

Agree,
If it is a towered field just ask for a "short approach".
I realize I live in BFE and just by chance fly out of a towered field, but they have always worked with me for practicing things.

Last month flew into KRDG... we were abeam the rwy aim point when tower asked: "04Z, can you do a short approach?"

"Yes, sir..."

Power to idle, flaps 20, slipping turn, runway made, flaps 40, chirp.

"Thanks for that, 04Zulu..."

"No problem -- that was fun!"

Ron, you heap bright dude, and are usually really bright about this stuff, but I'm calling you hard on this one. Most of us are petering around in GA singles and twins, not hot driving slippery glass experimental shenanigans or turbine powered mayhem. Practicing dead-stick landings can make one a much better pilot whether or not one ever encounters the dreaded event. A lot more guys have bought it because they couldn't do the dead-stick landing than ever suffered midairs, and we seem to spend a lot of time worry about midairs.
Never said otherwise, only that most of the time it's not practical (and sometimes not possible) to do that in the traffic pattern from TPA, and I'll stand by that statement. I've spent 20-30 minutes in the pattern at an airport trying to get one good power-off 180 approach, and that's just not good training. Look back higher and you'll see my suggestion to conduct such emergency procedures practice somewhere quiet where you can perform the maneuver properly without having to interfere with or alter your maneuver for other planes.

Never said otherwise, only that most of the time it's not practical (and sometimes not possible) to do that in the traffic pattern from TPA, and I'll stand by that statement. I've spent 20-30 minutes in the pattern at an airport trying to get one good power-off 180 approach, and that's just not good training. Look back higher and you'll see my suggestion to conduct such emergency procedures practice somewhere quiet where you can perform the maneuver properly without having to interfere with or alter your maneuver for other planes.

In Chiefs, Champs, Cubs, 150's, etc it is very practical. I have been in the pattern with Mooney's doing touch and goes. Nothing is more frustrating than being in the Mooney watching a Cub motor out a mile on downwind and a Mile back up wind on final at 60 mph. Especially with a 10-15 mph headwind. Interestingly it only seems to only be the 150's, 172's and Cherokees that tend to do the long slow finals.

On the other hand with the slower trainers with great glide ratios's and reasonable sink rates it can actually be fun to fly the pattern with a faster airplane as the can go around the pattern in about the same time.

Brian

That's what I thought you meant... and I'll admit I wasn't thinking "primary instruction".

You raise a good point about introducing students to engine-out drills- I recall learning more about what might really be involved in a power-loss emergency by going through the old throttle-out-OK-where-you-gonna-land drill, done completely by surprise during practice maneuvers away from the airport, than by trying to make the runway from the abeam point with the engine at idle.
Picking the right spot (immediately!), for example, could be the most important thing in a real engine-failure scenario, and having a runway alongside you doesn't help with that.

And Murphy's law being what it is, we're not as likely to experience total loss of power while on downwind than in some much more inconvenient location !

Thinking about it, a more realistic drill, involving a usable runway is the engine-out spiral descent to key position... this also prepares you, somewhat, for an event where there might still be some power available, you've limped to an airport, but don't want to tempt fate by entering a standard pattern and you aren't aligned for a straight-in.

A much more realistic scenario... although of course the engine could quit abeam the numbers (I once pulled mixture instead of carb heat at that precise moment; I restored power immediately, but it might have not worked).
This drill is not easy to do right, but it could have great benefit for real emergencies, either to an off-airport location or a runway. Of course, common sense should apply when it comes to other traffic. It doesn't have to be one of those "nobody up here but me" days (in a real emergency, there will be traffic, according to Murphy), but it's not something I'd do in a "beehive" situation. And again, for students, I think it's best to start with engine-out drills, even the descent-to-key-position, out in the practice area, with a random target chosen as the landing site.

The way I was taught, I didn't try power-out drills from downwind, or from above TPA to the key position, until I had a pretty good handle on doing them in some random location off-airport,all the way to the point where I could go around safely after showing I'd probably get the plane into that field, meadow or golf course without breaking my neck. I think my instructors were wise to structure the lessons that way.

The part that gets left out when doing such simulated engine-outs- actually touching down- is easy enough to cover on normal final legs to a runway. Normal approaches provide ample opportunities to learn how to get the most out of a plane in glide, without doing anything disruptive to traffic.

But I still think that for advanced students or certed pilots, this maneuver- from downwind- is useful. Maybe not so much as a simulated emergency, but for spacing. Done properly, I don't think it will create conflict, unless you're cutting off someone who's on a normal final. As I stated earlier, I've actually been told to "chop and drop" by ATC more than once; they seemed to think it made more sense, in those situations, than extending my downwind to enhance traffic spacing. I know they are not PIC, but I think good cab controllers know what works and what doesn't. If it looks good, and I know I can do it, I'll do it.

In a nutshell, I agree that in primary training, trying to make the runway from the abeam point (or from above the airport) without power may not be productive, but afterwards, it's worth doing (with caution and consideration for traffic), if for no other reason than to break the habit of always flying the pattern the same way. Same basic reason one should do slow flight, stalls, etc. even when not being asked to do so by an instructor or examiner: it is unlikely you will need these skills, but without practice, they will be dull when you do need them to be sharp.

I should add here that all of these things are fun, although I know not all pilots will agree with me. :D

I think Ron's comments may come from living in a busier area than many of us live, so perhaps most of his experience is at airports where "#4 to land" is more commonly heard. For me, 90% of the time or more I'm the only plane coming into or out of the airport, so I can do whatever I want without disrupting anyone else.

I think Ron's comments may come from living in a busier area than many of us live, so perhaps most of his experience is at airports where "#4 to land" is more commonly heard. For me, 90% of the time or more I'm the only plane coming into or out of the airport, so I can do whatever I want without disrupting anyone else.

I've been on the pattern carousel at MGW with 4 other airplanes -- nary a problem: "Cleared for the option" is heard 80% of the time in those situations.

I've been on the pattern carousel at MGW with 4 other airplanes -- nary a problem: "Cleared for the option" is heard 80% of the time in those situations.

I've also been at airports where there was one other airplane in the pattern, and spacing was just such that you ended up having to do a more extended approach, and getting a short approach in was more difficult. This can be a problem if plane 1 is a Cherokee and plane 2 is a Mooney (different speeds and all).

However when you're the only plane, it's not an issue.

I've also been at airports where there was one other airplane in the pattern, and spacing was just such that you ended up having to do a more extended approach, and getting a short approach in was more difficult. This can be a problem if plane 1 is a Cherokee and plane 2 is a Mooney (different speeds and all).

However when you're the only plane, it's not an issue.

Right -- packed patterns are rare here, and if gets really busy we're in airplanes -- we can just fly somplace else.

I can't imagine that GA traffic is so bad it's nigh impossible to practice power-off landings -- even in Southern MD.

I can't imagine that GA traffic is so bad it's nigh impossible to practice power-off landings -- even in Southern MD.

I don't think Ron was arguing the practicing of them, it was whether or not it was practical to do them regularly. At places like Farmingdale (KFRG) in NYC, you have days when a touch and go can take you 10 minutes. That's an example of an airport where power-off landings are improbable. In places like Williamsport, it's just me in the pattern.

I don't think Ron was arguing the practicing of them, it was whether or not it was practical to do them regularly. At places like Farmingdale (KFRG) in NYC, you have days when a touch and go can take you 10 minutes. That's an example of an airport where power-off landings are improbable. In places like Williamsport, it's just me in the pattern.

Absolutely! I can't imagine doing primary training at FRG or ISP (I've been to each busy place!)

I did my PP at KLNS. We did lots of pattern work at LNS before solo -- after that, we went to at least a dozen surrounding airports -- shorts, softs, power offs -- the works. It was unusual to see another airplane at those outlying fields.

Yes, I can see there are different cultures operant in different conditions. I wouldn't do engine out practice in the middle of a busy pattern either. However, I would remind everyone that we fly airplanes. Even the slowest of them is enough to get one out to the stix, where one can do more or less what one pleases.

Even the slowest of them is enough to get one out to the stix, where one can do more or less what one pleases.
That is true. I don't think anyone here was advocating not practicing engine out approaches at all, but some people were advocating doing them all the time which is impractical in some places. I learned at a KOAK (Oakland, CA) which was a busy place even then but we went to other places to practice. That said, on a nice day many of the airports in the Denver area, controlled and uncontrolled, are busy.

In Chiefs, Champs, Cubs, 150's, etc it is very practical.
That statement ignores the bigger picture of fitting in with other aircraft. If you fly a pattern that tight, the following issues can arise:
  • You're inside other aircraft who may not see you
  • You leave such a large gap behind the preceeding aircraft that someone else slips into it
  • You turn in front of someone flying a more typical pattern

That statement ignores the bigger picture of fitting in with other aircraft. If you fly a pattern that tight, the following issues can arise:
  • You're inside other aircraft who may not see you
  • You leave such a large gap behind the preceeding aircraft that someone else slips into it
  • You turn in front of someone flying a more typical pattern

ONLY in the relatively rare situation when you're sharing the pattern with multiple airplanes!

IF it's that busy, find a place that isn't!

:mad2:

Where you doing this practice? JFK? EWR? BWI?
How about FDK, GAI, DMW, HEF, FME, ESN, GED or any of a zillion other busy GA airports (and that's just ones I know locally)? Even at Westhampton Beach NY (FOK) with only two other aircraft in the pattern, it was impossible to make it work.

How about FDK, GAI, DMW, HEF, FME, or any of a zillion other busy GA airports? Even at Westhampton Beach NY with only two other aircraft in the pattern, it was impossible to make it work.

Ive been to FDK and I was the only one in the pattern (I didn't do pattern work there -- just landed, then took off).

I've also been all alone at JYO. Heck, the last time I was at ISP the only other airplane the tower was handling was a SWA 737 inbound.

Ive been to FDK and I was the only one in the pattern (I didn't do pattern work there -- just landed, then took off).

I've also been all alone at JYO. Heck, the last time I was at ISP the only other airplane the tower was handling was a SWA 737 inbound.
Your experiences are most atypical for those airports.

I am fortunate in that I live in a place with a sufficient number of airports. It does suck for you poor souls who live where there is a deficit of airports.

If you can't do power-off approaches from TPA "most of the time," I suggest finding a place where it can be done with a bit less concern for a busy pattern.

This circles back to your earlier statement that some GA singles can't be landed power-idle from 1000' AGL abeam some runway spot.

Except for some larger, slicker singles (Pilatus, Socata, Malibu, etc) I respectfully disagree. The vast majority of GA singles (Cessna, Piper, Taylorcraft, Aeronca, etc) can be landed on the runway from 1000' AGL abeam some point as long as that point is a reasonable distance which should be known for the aircraft you intended to practice -- and may require some experimentation.

Far earlier in this thread I provided formula and results at a fairly fast airspeed and descent rate. Those results (no wind conditions) proved that a standard GA single should be able to land after doing a 180 power off.

Then you started arguing that the pattern was busy and prevented such actions.

Look -- I'm sure you have some reaaon why you said a power off 180 landing was inadvisable in some airplanes. All I'd like to know is which GA singles those might be, and what are the typical airspeeds and FPM loss in those airplanes?

I'm sure you've flown far more airplanes than I have, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate a heads up before we climb into one of those models.

:yesnod:

Most flight training occurs at busy airports, probably because that's where most folks live and fly.I keep saying that, but you don't seem to hear that.

Within 40 miles of my home base - 32 airports to go train at. (2 Cs, 2 Ds, and 28 Class G fields). Of course when you only have 11 in the same radius I can see why you think your situation is typcial.

You need to leave the east coast.

Within 40 miles of my home base - 32 airports to go train at. (2 Cs, 2 Ds, and 28 Class G fields). Of course when you only have 11 in the same radius I can see why you think your situation is typcial.

You need to leave the east coast.

KOXB is about 20 NM from SBY and is in no way a "busy airport" during the off season.

:no:

IF it's that busy, find a place that isn't!

:mad2:

Well, now to the point of regularly doing simulated engine-out approaches (in case it actually happens), then it would be most fortuitous if you had enough altitude while in the pattern at a busy airport to glide to another airport (less busy), and land there. However I would think you likely are at a 10,000 ft downwind or so, which seems a bit excessive. :)

Well, now to the point of regularly doing simulated engine-out approaches (in case it actually happens), then it would be most fortuitous if you had enough altitude while in the pattern at a busy airport to glide to another airport (less busy), and land there. However I would think you likely are at a 10,000 ft downwind or so, which seems a bit excessive. :)

If I have an actual engine out at BWI, EWR, FRG, or JFK I'm declaring an emergency and heading for the closest runway or taxiway, landing, and then dealing with whoever after I tie the airplane down.

I gotta call BS on this discussion...

Back when I flew a Cessna 120 nearly EVERY landing was done power off. Perhaps 3 times I did a deliberate power on approach. Otherwise if I added power, it meant that I screwed up.

Towered airports, airports with lots of Cherokees doing B17 size patterns. No problem. No conflict. No need for a "tight" or unusual pattern that didn't fit the traffic.

Did I pull the power when I was abeam the numbers every time?

Obviously not.

If I was following someone who was flying 1/2 way to Canada before turning base, I would just follow on at pattern altitude and enjoy the sight seeing tour. Then, when I got back into the vicinity of the airport, and was at the point where I had the runway made, the throttle went to idle and stayed there (except a couple "clearing" burps).

I know it can be done without conflict because I did it.

Over and over again.

All kinds of different airports with all kinds of different traffic.

I could put that little sumnabitch exactly where I wanted it - first time - every time. While I never had to do a real off airport engine out landing in it, I was prepared.

Yea, a Cessna 120 is stupid easy to land - what with it not having flaps or complications like that, but the same principal can be applied (pull the throttle at the appropriate time) in other aircraft. (And, yes, I did the same thing regularly in other aircraft too)

If I have an actual engine out at BWI, EWR, FRG, or JFK I'm declaring an emergency and heading for the closest runway or taxiway, landing, and then dealing with whoever after I tie the airplane down.

Which won't help you if your pattern has taken you far enough out at the point of engine failure that you can't make the airport.

Hunh? I've been consistent in arguing that patterns should be GA SEL engine-out sized, not 747 sized.

Ok, I missed that somewhere, because it sounded in some of the last posts like you were understanding that, at some airports, that just doesn't work (not to mention GA SEL engine-out size for one plane may differ from another).

This really gets to be a problem when you've got Cherokees landing at the same airport at the same time as Navajos, King Airs, and Citations. The speeds and required patterns are much different. At a busy airport, Ron is correct that it's not always practical. My point is that when it is practical it makes sense.

Me? I'll just keep a spare handy...

Ok, I missed that somewhere, because it sounded in some of the last posts like you were understanding that, at some airports, that just doesn't work (not to mention GA SEL engine-out size for one plane may differ from another).

This really gets to be a problem when you've got Cherokees landing at the same airport at the same time as Navajos, King Airs, and Citations. The speeds and required patterns are much different. At a busy airport, Ron is correct that it's not always practical. My point is that when it is practical it makes sense.

Nope -- see my post to Ron about 5 back -- Ron changed the discussion to "busy pattern" after dodging the very simple question: Which GA single cannot land on a runway when abeam a point at 1000' AGL in no wind conditions?

Nope -- see my post to Ron about 5 back -- Ron changed the discussion to "busy pattern" after dodging the very simple question: Which GA single cannot land on a runway when abeam a point at 1000' AGL in no wind conditions?

Ok, I missed that somewhere, sorry.

I'll still keep my spare. ;)

<snip>

My preference is to pull the yellow handle and all engine problems are gone....:)
Much simpler than carrying a spare.

However it does make it a bit more challenging to get to your destination, but then that is what makes it fun.

Brian

a34cockpit%20inst.jpg

Back