Engine Mounts on a cherokee.

cathead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cathead
How long are engine mounts expected to go? What does one look for when inspecting them? Which ones are better, Lord or Barry? Do they really change the amount of vibration when changed?

How long are engine mounts expected to go? What does one look for when inspecting them? Which ones are better, Lord or Barry? Do they really change the amount of vibration when changed?

The piper MM (not regulatory) probably says "at engine TBO" which would be 2000 hours or 12 years whichever is first, for a Lycoming.

I had mine replaced based on a condition inspection that revealed minor cracking, visible compression on the bottom ones, and a notable sag of the engine when comparing the back of the spinner plate with the front of the cowling. I can't remember if the replacement yielded a material change in vibration, but it did correct the sag of the engine. I chose Lord mounts, but I don't recall if there was a specific reason for the brand choice.

JKG

Back