Engine Monitoring System

mpowers1984

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mpowers1984
Any suggestions on an engine monitoring system? I would like to replace my manifold pressure gauge, RPM gauge, EGT, and fuel tank gauges.

I'm pretty happy with my JPI EDM-930, which is approved to replace all the primary engine and fuel gauges.

Funny how you certified guys need approval to install 10 year old technology at twice the price of non TSOed hardware. Not wanting to pick a fight ... Just saying. :dunno: Seriously, its got to suck. :yes:

Last edited:
Funny how you certified guys need approval to install 10 year old technology at twice the price of non TSOed hardware. Not wanting to pick a fight ... Just saying. :dunno: Seriously, its got to suck. :yes:
Funny how this guy with an RV-10 who wants a 3-day instrument refresher course with me has been scheduling, cancelling, and rescheduling for three months now because his uncertified cutting edge technology integrated flight instrument/avionics/display system keeps failing (fails altimeter/static check, smoke in the cockpit in flight, radios quit, you-name-it) and nobody has been able to fix it all. Not wanting to pick a fight, but as you would say, that really has to suck. OTOH, my "10-year-old technology" has been working just fine non-stop since I had it installed 8 years ago. Just saying...

Funny how this guy with an RV-10 who wants a 3-day instrument refresher course with me has been scheduling, cancelling, and rescheduling for three months now because his uncertified cutting edge technology integrated flight instrument/avionics/display system keeps failing (fails altimeter/static check, smoke in the cockpit in flight, radios quit, you-name-it) and nobody has been able to fix it all. Not wanting to pick a fight, but as you would say, that really has to suck. OTOH, my "10-year-old technology" has been working just fine non-stop since I had it installed 8 years ago. Just saying...

Well then, your point is made. :rolleyes2:

;)

:rofl:

Last edited:
So why do you bring it up at every opportunity you can find?

Two choices - EI and JPI. Depending on the engine, 4 vs 6 cylinder models. The JPI 930 is blessed to replace just about everything. I've got the 730 (carb engine, fixed prop) so I couldn't really justify the high end. With the 730 (or 830) IIRC the oil temp/pressure is included but not Blessed by the FAA - still required to have separate oil temp/pressure. But in reality, in 3 years of flying with the 730, I haven't seen any discrepancy between the 730 and the installed oil gauges.

I've been happy with JPI products.

Two choices - EI and JPI. Depending on the engine, 4 vs 6 cylinder models. The JPI 930 is blessed to replace just about everything. I've got the 730 (carb engine, fixed prop) so I couldn't really justify the high end. With the 730 (or 830) IIRC the oil temp/pressure is included but not Blessed by the FAA - still required to have separate oil temp/pressure. But in reality, in 3 years of flying with the 730, I haven't seen any discrepancy between the 730 and the installed oil gauges.

Both are good units. :yes:

I have the 930 as well. Works great. I have it installed where you'd normally see the #2 nav head (to the right of the VSI, I have an HSI). It's a lot easier than reading those tiny beechcraft round gauges on the far side of the panel.

I have the 930 as well. Works great. I have it installed where you'd normally see the #2 nav head (to the right of the VSI, I have an HSI). It's a lot easier than reading those tiny beechcraft round gauges on the far side of the panel.
The "problem" with the 930 is since you've effectively replaced a bunch of old gauges, you almost have to completely redo the panel (to remove the old gauges), otherwise you kinda have a mis mash of gauges, etc
and if you are going to redo the panel, then the 930 is definitely the way to go, and I agree, I personally would try to favor the left hand placement to make it an easy to scan, not stuck over to the far right side.

You misunderstood me. First off, I didn't redo the panel (well not for the 930). The dinky beech guages are still over on the right side of the panel. The 930 sits where the 830 did before it, between the "six pack" and the radio stack, under the #2 nav head (actually where the #2 nav head used to be before I put the HSI in). It's right in the scan and a whole lot easier to read than the old gauges which are still there.

You misunderstood me. First off, I didn't redo the panel (well not for the 930). It's right in the scan and a whole lot easier to read than the old gauges which are still there.
You misunderstood me...I'm saying that you SHOULD redo the panel and get rid of all the old gauges.

This is what I have in my plane too. The biggest selling point to me was that it fit in my tach hole with no modifications to my panel. You do have to toggle between three or four screens to see everything it can display, but that is very simple and easy to do. I have had mine since May and I've been happy with it. Since I already had a digital outside air temperature indicator and clock, I used my OAT probe in the carburetor. Unless you need the OAT indication, I suggest you do the same as I did.

Thanks. I've emailed a couple of places to see what the cost of the install would be.

And here I am with an experimental aircraft and a JPI engine monitor. Now if I could just get the engine started, I'd be able to enjoy that 10yr old, antiquated display.

Back